Sign in to follow this  
brucets

What/where is the "Windows System Directory" file??

Am trying to install a freeware ac and the following installation instruction is unclear to me:"- Extract BN32Rest.zip into the FS2004 main directory and move the *.dll file into the windows system directory, if it doesn't exists there."I can not find a file specifically titled *Windows System Directory*! Is it the WINNT file??Thanks!Scott

Hi Scott,I don't have that particular a/c, but you should have a "System" folder located within your C:Windows folder. I believe thats the folder the instructions refer to. Hope this helps,

Don - There is no - C:Windows folder!?? There IS a WINNT folder though.Scott

>Don - There is no - C:Windows folder!?? There IS a WINNT>folder though.>>ScottIt's the same. Under your WINNT folder (with all Windows OS files) you have many other sub-folders. One of them is /System.I wonder if they don't mean the /System32 folder. Normally that's where all of those files reside. Better check that one as well.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest neslesman

The last thing I am is a computer guru but it seems to me that everyone has a C:Windows folder if they are running windows and "C" is their system drive. That said, I'm sure someone can prove me wrong.But, more importantly, can you tell us what the piece of freeware is that you are installing. That way I think someone should be able to get it sorted right quick.For someone like myself that isn't overly computer conversant I also often find it difficult to follow instructions from someone that knows what they are talking about. So much seems to be taken for granted but in reality I don't have a clue what is being instructed some time.

When you install windows, it is possible for it to be placed in a location other than C:windows. It is available by %SYSTEMROOT% variable.I agree they probably meant to place the .dll in %SYSTEMROOT%system32scott s..

Just FYI, Windows 2k uses x:WINNT where as 95/98/NT and possibly Vista all use x:Windows for the system files.I too would like to see why there's a file needed to go into the windows directory.Hope that helps!

Guest cloudrider

I would suggest you not install a freeware ac that requires this. I've yet to be instructed to place a .dll in my Windows system to fly an aircraft. Unless this is a MUST HAVE, I would pass it up. Or maybe contact the author for an explanation of why this .dll is required. Good luck. Please let us know if you find out.

Guest Bob Z

If it states *.dll then it is most likely more than one dll. I agree, check it out with a web search and/or with the author.If you do try it without checking, don't respond 'yes' to overwrite duplicate file.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,I d/loaded that file and it's gauges from Marcel Kuehnt for the Islander; to my innocent way of thinking there is obviously no problem putting the *dll where he says! I would have thought it could equally well go in the main FS directory, ie the same level as 'aircraft','gauges','modules' etc as there are lots of other application extensions there as well. If you are worried you can always e-mail him and go from there.Andy.

Thank you all for the feedback. I gave up on that installation as I just couldn't figure out what he meant.I spent just about all day today trying to install a Twin Otter & scenery for Juliana and St. Barts, and the result was the same. Installation insructions lacking or unclear to me. Nothing worked properly.I had friends come back from St Barts last week and they bet I couldn't land there the first try in the sim. Well, I couldn't! But come to find out FS9 doesn't portray the island correctly and there is a hill at each end of the runway. I tried it in an EMB 120 first and ran off the runway into the hill. That's why I was trying to download the Britten Norman II and the correct scenery ---- to duplicate exactly what they experienced.Well, 2 days have come and gone and I'm no closer to getting the right plane or the correct scenery for this experiment. I guess it just wasn't to be. Thanks anyway. I am no computer guy, but some of these installation instructions are just not right/complete---or Im just not smart enough to figure it out!Scott

Hi ScottWell, there is really no need to give up, and there is really no need to be sceptical about putting DLL's in your system folder. I agree that NORMALLY you wouldn't have to do that - on the other hand, the system folder is the ONLY place where Windows is always able to locate and load a given DLL; the author has probably just chosen the easiest way out. There are a number of rules Windows follows to locate a DLL, you can look them up if you want to - but they are hard to follow, and they vary a bit with the version of Windows.The concern of others in this thread seems the to be related to: What-if-it-a-virus? Well, if it is, then it doesn't matter where it is located: If it is loaded and executed, you're sold whether or not it is in the system directory.The directory you want is most likely C:WinntSystem32, assuming Windows is installed in you C: drive. HTH & BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi Scott,thinking a bit more on this! Marcel Kuhnt loves the Islander and Trislander and there are 50+ files associated with him just here at Avsim and even though I don't know anything about the workings of computers, he has created many panels and seperate sets of gauges to go in the different aircraft, and so rather than clog up FS9, I guess he opted to put the *dll in the Windows system as being the easiest place for FS9 to get at it with all the different options available.As for it being a virus- if you have Avast (which is free!) or something else you should always scan downloads before opening them and you would then be warned if the d/l was naasty! but in this case that seems so remote as to be invisible. I have d/led the Islanders before and never had any problems, but it is true that sometimes it is difficult to understand all the instructions that are sent with a download!Good Luck,Andy.