Sign in to follow this  
Guest MD11ME

Wilco Air"bust".......Feelthere "Feelrobbed" :(

It makes me smile when people say things like: It's not fair to compare Wilco's airbus with Level D's 767. Of course, it's both absolutely fair and instructive in terms of understanding the difference between a successful flight sim addon developer with a ton of goodwill within the ommunity and a developer who basically is boxed against the wall 24/7.What would be needed would be some kind of resellerratings.com forum where users can grade an addon company. Wilco would rank close to the bottom of such a rating, for reasons entirely of its own making, with 0 inclination to change anything for the better. ricardo

Wilco is a publisher so you should compare it to Flight1.But may be you want to compare Feelthere against Level D?Not comperable I'm affraid. One makes lots of add-ons for the middle market. The other produces 1 addon in a 2 year period for the high end button pushers. Anyway, there are a lot off succesful flightsim developers that don't make Level-D quality stuff. Some release lots of nice looking planes in higher then (most) freeware quality models like http://www.alphasim.co.uk/Other release stuff thats worse then most freeware and still seem to make enough profit to keep doing it case in point : http://www.abacuspub.com/The most succesfull add-on developer is not necesseraly the one that makes the most advanced technicaly perfect add-on. If you develop FS add-ons for a living you might measured it by how much money you get for all the time you invested in making the add-on. Lets say that the DeLorean (http://www.delorean.com/) is/was the best car ever made in the world does that make its developer the most succefull car developer in the world? Does it even guarantee that we al drive DeLorean's?The usual crowd that hangs out on these flightsim forums does not equal the FS market. How else can we explain Abacus? Saying that one developer is beter without quantify in which area is useless.I can also readily agree the Wilco is a publisher with a bad record for service but many years ago I was very glad that they existed. After al they where the publishers of the PIC 767 add-on which was the grandady of our current Level-D. Who knows? Maybe we have a Level-D now because Wilco's ambitions to make money gave the developers something in return for all their efforts. Maybe it stimulated them in further developing their add-on and keeping in the market.Please don't a really excited user one developer over the other. Its all a matter of personal taste anyway...

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

If everyone was operating on a LVLD level we wouldn't see a variety of addons and a broad range of different aircraft like this. If is wasn't for companies like FT/Wilco then we wouldn't have any Airbus, any CRJ or ERJ or older B737 at all and would be "stuck" with the PSS offerings from 2002 or freeware planes with a lot less features.Everyone is praising LVLD and, of course, well-deserved, but to be fair: They have only released one product so far.Pat

>>Please don't a really excited user one developer over the other. Its all a>matter of personal taste anyway...>It really is! :7 I'm perfectly content with my $9.99 external 737 skin from Captain Sim flying in spot (somewhat R/C) mode ----- with no panel. I simply have no interest in complex airliner button pushing.Do like Garmin 1000's, GPS's, solid state auto-pilots, and synthetic 3D vision MFD's, though!L.Adamsonedit: Note, "Airliners" is one of my favorite aviation magazines. I buy it for the "exteriors". :-hah

And there lies the difference between us all.Some people are perfectly happy with freeware, some love to look at the visuals, others accept nothing less than accurate flight dynamics, some are fps tweak junkies and others would never consider anything else worthy than the most complex add-on.That said, what is important for one, might be totally insignificant to the other.Every developer/publisher has its niche and there's nothing wrong with it. Even a few years ago, noone would have considered an Airbus addon. Now we have three recent promising projects (FT, AirlinerXP, PMDG) in the loop - gotta love it.Pat

>but to be fair: They have only released one product so far.But what a superb product that is!!!Andreas

I'd rather have amazing LDS quality products every 2 years than this buggy junk being pumped out every 3 months that I wouldn't buy anyway.

How do you know that it's buggy junk, if you haven't bought it?I took the FT Airbus again for a spin from EDDM-EBBR and I didn't notice any major bugs, except for some buttons on the VC not being clickable, some problems following the waypoints with strong crosswinds and an incorrect procedure for manually setting altitude and speeds. Can you elaborate?Pat

Sure and there is only one Buckingham Palace, yet there are millions of buildings in the world. All serve the purpose of providing shelter for their respective owner... Thousands of structures are built every day but no matter how nice they are, only a handful can be compared to Buckingham Palace.There is a huge difference between a royal palace that can be appreciated by even the most descerning eye and a 2 bedroom shack that is given a pretty fresh coat of paint to please the owner.I guess at the end of the day, it all depends on one's tolorance for the mundane.

Guest QFA001

Mike,I like reading you before bedtime. You made me yawn and get me sleepy. We already read all your "funny" examples but it comes down to the fact you need to get a life. Outside of the forums. QFA

Oh young "QFA"I have more of a life than your little mind could even fathom.By the way, that should have read: "you need to get a life(,) (o)utside of the forums."If you're going to insult me, at least pay attention to your teachers and attempt to utilize proper grammar prior to doing so.EDIT: ...and grownups use their real names.