Sign in to follow this  
zfehr

Jeppesen charts for life

I have both Jeppesen Simcharts 3 and 4. You can print and view the charts outside of MSFS regardless of which sim you have there are limitations if you want to view them inflight with your flight route highlighted. Version 3 is via CD (1 or 3 regions per CD and you need 9 regions to cover the world) and for FS2004 only, version 4 is for FSX only and covers the world and you have to be hooked up to the internet to access the database. Both include airport layout charts, IFR approaches, SID and STAR and radar coverage when appropriate to their real world counterparts. They do not cover IFR enroute charts, you do know you can use skyvector.com for those. It is true that you can get free access to many if not all government charts but I personally prefer the Jeppesen layout and their current version 4 is really quite a bargain compared to buying three CD's (which I did and don't regret).

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hi,I thought the same and ordered it a few months ago.It is NOT a life time subscription!Besides that, it are NOT up-to-date charts! They are charts from the same cycle as the original FS2004 Navdata cycle, so a few years ago.EDIT:Here's an example of EHAM, check the datesEHAM.gif

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Interesting! It's almost 42

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest machammer

SIMCharts is now available for just $41.95/

Where do you see that it is for life?I found this http://www.aviationmegastore.com/?shopid=L..._id=0&art=65775 and at least there it states it's for one year. I bought an earlier version of SIMCharts and found it to work really well. However, once I started flying on Vatsim I became dependent on up to date charts which SIMcharts could't provide, so instead I relied on charts I put on my laptop. However, one clear advantage with Jeppesen is that you get a consistent interface which makes for easier interpretation. So if you now can get worlwide up to date charts, then it becomes really interesting!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Why do you say it isn't a lifetime subscription? Is there a time limit after which further downloads are not permitted?

One year gets you CURRENT up to date charts for use in real flying. Sim charts are expired charts.

>Why do you say it isn't a lifetime subscription? Is there a>time limit after which further downloads are not permitted?It depends how you look at it.You can access them untill enternity so in that sense it's for life time.The charts however are not updated at all. When I ordered a subscription I thought they would update the charts (like Navigraph), but Jeppesen doesn't.What is the point of having a 'life time' subscription when they don't update the charts?I was very disappointed but should have known better and should have realized that for 35 euri it just was too good to be true. Nevertheless Jeppesen should have stated it clearly that the charts are not updated and only match the default FS cycle.Basically I now have life time access to an useless set of charts.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

And now that we are talking about Jeppesen....A few months ago I also subscribed to the 'Jeppesen Internet Flight Planner' for Europe.Also this online service appears to be pretty useless.The flight planner does facilitate automated route planning between 2 airports, but it does NOT take any SID/STAR into consideration.So the resulting route is never accurate/useable (at least in Europe). It can be edited manually however, but the online interface is extremely sloooowwwww and many times it would imply to edit manually the whole route.For example it is not possible to change 1 waypoint and having the Flight Planner recalculate the route.Based on this experience, together with the 'life time' simcharts I'm Jeppesen cured. Will never fall into the 'Jepp pit' again.

Yes, the charts are dated to the information Jeppesen provided MS for FSX so what you see matches what's on the charts. Also the reason for the lifetime subscription was also based on this not being an updated product... that would be too confusing to most users when the airport layout and navaids changed compared to what is in the sim. Remember FS fanatics, we are the fringe and not the mass buying public.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

>Where did Jeppesen say the charts>would be updated so what reason did you have for thinking they would be? >... and that 35 euros is not unreasonable for a single point of Acess to all these charts.It isn't stated anywhere, hence my remark I should have known better.I am used to Navigraph charts which are updated frequently, and with this in mind I subscribed to Jeppesen.I'm only flying online and therefore 10/20/35/whatever price for outdated charts is for me personally a waste of money. For other simmers it may be OK, not for me.