Sign in to follow this  
pschlute

Jaggies

Anyone had an issue with jagged edges on textures like an anti-aliasing problem, after installing either "Diskeeper 2008 Home edition" or "itunes".I have had a noticeable worsening in textures just after installing these two programs. i will uninstall them later today to see if I get back to my previous state.I am using Dell Dimension 8400 with 2 GB RAM; Windows XP Home ; Radeon X800 XT. Peter

Peter Schluter

How'd you make out with this? I'd be interested to know.Chuck B.

>Download this utility, http://www.nhancer.com/ once you've>installed it, search the forum for the proper setup info and>say goodbye to the jaggies.>>Dave F.DO NOT do this! Nhancer does not work with ATI cards -- it is for nVidia cards only, which do not play well with Flight Simulator Anti-Aliasing.Chuck

I have not had time to get to the bottom of this, but I will report back when I do.....pressures of Christmas and all that !Thanks for the advice guys ..... especially Chuck

Peter Schluter

>I have not had time to get to the bottom of this, but I will>report back when I do.....pressures of Christmas and all that>!>>Thanks for the advice guys ..... especially Chuck I don't think it's either one of those programs. Are you running the latest version of ATIs CCC, and having anti-aliasing handled there, and not in FS9? A screen shot might help, too. If you're sure it's one of those programs, instead of uninstalling them, I would first hit the good ol' ctrl-alt-delte and go into the task list, and shut down any services either program may be running in the backgound, fire up FS9 and see if that helps. If it is an anti-aliasing problem, it sounds more like somehow your aa settings have been altered or shut off.Keep us posted, and Merry Christmas!Chuck

ChuckYes I have the latest drivers , well about 2 months ago, and always have the VC handle AA , with it turned off in FS9 itself.My system has been very stable for at least a couple of years now which is why I instantly blamed the two latest programs I downloaded. When I get time over the next week I will have a good look at it again and see if I can get to the bottom of it.If I do I will let you know.Merry Christmas to you too.Peter

Peter Schluter

>>Download this utility, http://www.nhancer.com/ once you've>>installed it, search the forum for the proper setup info and>>say goodbye to the jaggies.>>>>Dave F.>>>DO NOT do this! Nhancer does not work with ATI cards -- it is>for nVidia cards only, which do not play well with Flight>Simulator Anti-Aliasing.>>ChuckNot sure what you mean by the above. I agree nHancer is for nVidia cards only. But nVidia cards work quite well with Flight Simulator Anti-Aliasing when you get them set up correctly. And nHancer allows you to do that, especially with the nVidia 8800 series cards.

Rick Ryan

The OP has an ATI card -- the Radeon x800 XT is an ATI card.Happy holidays!Chuck

Agreed. But the reply made it sound like nVidia cards don't do FS Anti-Aliasing well. That's not true, and I just wanted to clarify that portion for any "newbie" FS enthusiasts.

Rick Ryan

>>Agreed. But the reply made it sound like nVidia cards don't do FS >>Anti-Aliasing well.AFAIK, they don't. I had a new nVidia card for most of this year and the only way I ever got it to do AA in FS9 was by installing nHancer -- have the new nVidia drivers eliminated that need? Or was yours just a general comment for future readers? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to understand.Chuck

I'm running the 163.71 drivers on an Nvidia 7950.When I installed these drivers, I had problems with anti-aliasing - and therefore jaggies - apparantly they don't allow you to set this other than "application controlled" by default. Now somebody is going to tell me this doesn't work, but I'm judging what I see.With NHancer, I have set how anti-aliasing (and anisotropic filtering) are to work.However, for best results, I then set AA ON in FS. That seems to me to be nonsensical, but I get much much better results than with either AA on in FS and default settings in Nhancer or with AA set in NHancer and AA off in FS.

ngxu_banner.png

Ok I have narrowed this down to the following....When I first load FS9 I get no problems. I always use full screen mode. If I then use the "Windows" key on the keyboard to minimise FS9 and show the desktop, when I return to FS9 it is as if the anti-aliasing has been turned off.... jaggies !Experimenting today I discover it does not happen all the time, which is a bit troublesome in trying to find a culprit.I have ATI Radion X800 XT with drivers from October 2007.My settings in the Catalyst Control Centre are:Anti-aliasing 6X (Temporal anti aliasing turned ON)Adaptive AA enabled (slider full right- quality)Anisotropic Filter 8XCatalyst AI DISABLEDMipmap detail ...full right-qualityVertical refresh ..OFF unles application specifiesDXT textures supported.I have anti-aliasing turned OFF in FS9 itself, and have bilinear filtering selected. I can see a number of posts where people have reported similar problems. If anyone can shed light on this I would appreciate it.Merry ChristmasPeter

Peter Schluter

>>>Agreed. But the reply made it sound like nVidia cards don't>do FS >>Anti-Aliasing well.>>AFAIK, they don't. I had a new nVidia card for most of this>year and the only way I ever got it to do AA in FS9 was by>installing nHancer -- have the new nVidia drivers eliminated>that need? Or was yours just a general comment for future>readers? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to>understand.>>ChuckSounds like you had something else wrong somewhere in your system.I have NEVER had an issue getting FSAA to work in FS9 with my Nvidia card. It works great. FSAA worked great with the Nvidia card before this one and the one before that as well.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Nothing wrong with my system -- There are a lot of people here who had the same problem. There are 4 or 5 threads on AVSIM alone about it, just in the past year.Chuck