Sign in to follow this  
Guest cobra64

Thinking of going to FS9

Hey there. I have FSX and have been running it ok for a while, flying with VATSIM. but I had to do a system reformat and ever since I cannot get it to work properly. I have tried everything and am thinking I will try FS9. I am wondering what will be the most noticeable differences? My system, while it struggled with FSX should be able to run FS9 with the graphics turned up pretty high. Also I want to know if there are any good planes to use. My favorite FSX plane is the Baron with the G1000. are there any really good 3rd party glass panel GA or small sized aircraft for FS9?? Thanks,Cobra

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think the only real benefits of going from X to 9 is better performance and more 3rd addons. In general it doesn't make sense to go from new to old but in your case you may be happier with FS9. Baron? Dreamfleet baron, although not G1000, is absolutely wonderful. In fact anything dreamfleet is top notch. There are many other top notch addons that are not available for FSX yet. It really depends on what classes of aircraft you are looking for.Is your computer old? If so the alternative is to get a new machine and stay with FSX. More addons are coming for FSX so why spend more money on FS9?Jason

I too recently reformatted (dumped Vista) and went back to XP. I've installed both FSX and FS9. I find myself spending allot more time in FS2004 because my system performs much better with it. However I'm glad I have the option of using both Sim's when I choose.I created separate partitions for each Sim, although I doubt that separate partitions are required, it helps me stay better organized.I'm also going to be checking out X-Plane 9.Best Wishes.

I've been in your situation as well. The biggest advantage to FS9 is the availability of great add on scenery and that alone was the major reason I reverted back to FS9. FSX made a lot of changes to scenery design and most of the products I had were never going to be made compatible with FSX. If you are starting from scratch with FS9, you experience may differ.Nonetheless, you can make FS9 appear almost as nice as FSX with a little money. For me, I already spent the money on FS9 so the transition back was very easy.

Hello I don't know what part of the world your are in but here in the UK you can pick up a copy of FS9 for about fourteen quid.BARGAIN!.Even though its five years old now and i use it every day i can still find myself thinking this is just great what a fantastic creation this is as i climb out through the clouds and the con trails stream away behind me.GREAT!Just bung in something like FS Global and try a trip up the west coast of the U.S.MARVELOUS!PS i do have FSX on my computer but i don't use it anymore because i know it wont perform adequately for me,even FS9 doesn't run ABSOLUTELY glitch free but its pluses FAR out way any performance issues and once you begin to accept that you then have many hours,or even years of flying ahead(not tweaking)cheers Andy

I have both and running vista. Fsx performs ok on my mavhine with sp1. I have a dual core and 4 gigs of ram. I am using a radeon 9250 card. I do not like fsx now because I just do not like the frame rates I am getting. I can turn down some of the settings. I do not like the way it switches views either. Now fs9 runs great and besides I pur so much money into it i would rather play it. If fs passengers and fsnav comes to fsx I would go back to fsx. Also most of the payware I have has not come up with a fsx version. the ones that have I have to pay a small fee. There are not a lot of free upgrades. If anything I will do just freeware add ons for airports for fsx. I am not dumping that kind of dough again..jeez. Glad I am not married. So in short have both. Have fun with fs9 until fsx becomes more of a rave and machines become faster. fsx runs better in vista ultimate with a very expensive video card and about 8 gigs of ram. My friend spent that kind of money. Also fs global,,,yes I recommend it indeed!!!