Sign in to follow this  
Carob

Payware 737 Suggestions

Hello.I am considering purchasing a payware model for my father and would like any suggestions you may have. I am thinking about possibly a 737 but haven't decided for sure.Taking into account things like flight characteristics, accuracy/functionality of the panel, ease of install, etc. I would appreciate any feedback you may have.Thanks very much!

Guest RingwaySam

Have you thought about the PMDG 737?

As for the 737, you don't have much choice.There are only three complex simulations of this Boeing series:- FeelThere classics (300/400/500)- PMDG 737 NG (600/700/800/900)- Ariane 737 NGPeople will tell you different things, so for full picture please do some search.Check this and other forums as there is a lot of reading.I would personally choose FeelThere and discourage from buying Ariane.FeelThere is sold by Wilco and that causes a lot of trouble.But the latest verion, after a few patches, flies very fine if you ask me.It has averything you need for a complex and yet enjoyable simulation.PMDG is fine but it was pubished years ago and may feel outdated. What's more, I never liked its visuals (both models and the panel).Plus you have to buy two separate packages if you want to fly a 737-800 for example.But it definitely is a good and complex addon too.And it's the New Generation series if you are not for analogue instruments.Ariane is very expensive compared to what it offers.What's more people complain about their poor customer service.But I don't own it, so I'll let opinions to its real users.But if it doesn't have to be a 737, think of some pearls like:- Level-D 767-300ER- or Digital Aviation Fokker 70/100Best regards,Rafal

>Hello.>>I am considering purchasing a payware model for my father and>would like any suggestions you may have. I am thinking about>possibly a 737 but haven't decided for sure.>>Taking into account things like flight characteristics,>accuracy/functionality of the panel, ease of install, etc. I>would appreciate any feedback you may have.>>Thanks very much!Carob if you get the pmdg 737 and say you want only the 800 and 900 models. you can always get the boxed versions. here's a review at flightsim and it is a heck of a lot cheaper. then buying the download version. some times the boxed versions may be on sale or cheaper then the download version sometimes so you have to look carefully.PMDG 737-800-900 Boxed version Review http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/re...737/aero737.htmPMDG 737-600-700 Boxed version http://www.simpilot.com/servlet/the-8/Micr...imulator/DetailPMDG 737-800-900 Boxed Version http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=455Wilco Feelthere 737-300-400-500 http://www.wilcopub.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=prod_737pic

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Are the boxed versions available in stores or only direct? If so, what stores?Can this be used with FS9 and FSX? Or is it FS9 only?

>Are the boxed versions available in stores or only direct? >If so, what stores?>>Can this be used with FS9 and FSX? Or is it FS9 only?The pmdg is fs9 only, the wilco 737 has for both Sims fs9 and fsx. very few stores carry theses boxed versions. so most likely you will have to order online. it really depends on were you live, if your in Europe or the us. In the wilco link above in my post, you can purchase it at there website. and download it there. but it will cost a few dollars more. the pmdg can also be purchased, and downloaded. but at a higher price http://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/pages/prod/fs9/73G.html

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

HelloMy choice would definitely be the PMDG model. It is still the best bug free 737NG available on the market for FS9. I wouldn't argue about the visual model since it's pretty old now. This add-on is complexe so you can't just take it out for a spin, it requires some manual reading and practice. I'm so used to it know I can't fly any other 737 because they seem so simple and somewhat bland.If you would like to get the classic 737 then it should be the Feelthere model.BTW, I don't know if it's still on sale but the Overland package is also an excellent bargain if you prefer a "lite" add-on.

I see pcaviator.com still has the Aerosoft package boxed versions. Get the 800/900 (it can stand alone without the 600/700) as the panels are updated with more functions implemented. If you get this register your product on aerosoft.com to get a patch for this.They registration key to use the product is included in the box and is permanent for the CD version should reinstallation be necessary.To ease the learning process of flying the complex aircraft consider Mike Ray's 700 Flying the BOEING 700 Series Flight Simulators. It is scaled tutorials regarding operating practices and especially about setting up the Boeing FMC. In addition to the printed FMC guide plus the PMDG documentation delivered on the CD, it pretty much gives you everything you require. This manual is about $30 and can be previewed athttp://www.utem.com/manuals.html the writer/publisher's site. You can buy there, amazon, and some flight sim shops including AVSIM I think. Don't confuse this guide with Mike's more expensive checkride publications for real pilots in large simulators.A boxed version with Mike's manual would make a great combo gift.

One word: PMDGIt will take some learning if you haven't flown a complex add-on before, but it's well worth it. It is virtually bug-free also, and the support is great.If not a '37, the 747 is even better (more modern + more features).The Level-D 767 is great also, although, I must say, the VNAV descent function seems very primitive compared to the PMDG craft.

The PMDG 737 is excellent; I picked up the Aerosoft boxed 737-800 a few months back (try Flightsim.com's shop, as cheap as anyone I found), and it certainly doesn't feel dated in the 2-D pit - very well designed. The external model is also good, although it doesn't feature wingflex as more modern offerings do. And don't forget the Tinmouse II 737-200, which is freeware with payware quality.John G.

John G.

If you're looking for complex simulations and not restricted to the 737 aircraft, then there are many more options for you. The PMDG 747 for FS9 and FSX are excellent, the MD-11 which has recently been released is fantastic too. The Level-D 767 is also an excellent aircraft although visually it's not quite as refined as the PMDG models, but never the less an excellent representation.I have owned the Ariane X1 product (not anymore, that's another story). It didn't have an FMC with buttons that could be pushed from the VC and the FMC so I gather even in their new X2 still doesn't have a FIX page, a page I use quite a lot in the 747 PMDG I own, it's very useful. Also Ariane charges for repaints too. For the cost of their aircraft this is just not acceptable in my opinion, when you consider the cost of the MD-11, and 747 models from PMDG which are superior, have free liveries and are as functional as realistically possible in FSX and FS9. The Ariane manual has some interesting language used, e.g. 'for those who think dropping a line is easier than reading', then go on to talk about how they charge for one to one help if what you're asking is in the FAQ pages, PMDG certainly do not do this and are happy to help you, read into that what you will. The description of the Ariane X2 is also high on jargon and I find it difficult to find any real substance within it. I, like many others, don't have anything positive to say about Ariane service, you may read into that what you will. I would never ever recommend Ariane, read into that what you will too.If you want a 737 NG, I would buy PMDG, if the 747 and MD-11 are anything to go by it'll be an excellent representation of the 737NG. The Level-D 767's are good represnetations too I believe, although I don't fly them really, but wouldn't take anything away from them, they are also very reasonably priced. As for PMDG 747 and MD-11, I can't recommend highly enough, they are as good as you can get in FS9 and FSX in my humble opinion.PS.. if you are going to buy PMDG products, I would recommend you buy direct from their site, it's the best way really.CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL