Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

The TileProxy project goes public in May.

This is looking VERY interesting - please, for those who have this working -- how about some screenshots in the screenshots forum.Thanks Barry

Guest BOPrey

You can get away with just intercepting the "file open" system call. That way, you don't have to install a system level driver. Also, by the direction of flight, is there a way to pre-fetch the textures from the source?

>>Be aware that upping your LOD radius to medium or high leads>to not just 35000 tiles which have to be managed, but more>like 100000 (I don't have the exact figures in my head) ->I currently have 432,704 files using 363MB. But that was after flying in Europe and the USA.However, I have the Horizon Generation-X scenery for England and Wales, this is about 62GB but contains only 40,000 files in the new FSX format.

Guest cbuchner1

I found SDK samples for the filter driver some time in January - this is the "official" way to hook into any filesystem.Attaching to a running executable and patching DLL entry points appeared a bit too "hacky" for my taste and I did not have any example code to start with.

Guest cbuchner1

The next version might get a tile preloading feature. Also some cache management must implement a strategy for unloading tiles from RAM and disk. Right now it just fills until it spills ;)Christian

normal FSX default scenery I get about 12-15 fps although it does dip down into the 9-10 range in heavy areas. I leave my frame rate slider set to unlimited because that seems to give me the best perfomance in default scenery.I locked the frame rate at 15 and that helped make the tile proxy textures crisp but again as I flew forward it would return to blurriness...Brandon

Hi ChristianThe screenshots on your website are awesome!! -- what mesh are you using? - especially for the Grand Canyon shots.Thanks Barry

Guest cbuchner1

All the meshes I currently use are from www.fsproject.com - it's a huge download and it has a few inconsistent places (I found a wall of spikes in some places) but the Grand Canyon and Hawaii mesh is generally quite good. Last time I checked they covered about 1/3 of the US, notably the Western states with all the wonderful deserts.Christian

Guest cbuchner1

I don't like flying in city areas a lot. The buildings around there make my frame rate suffer so badly that terrain loading just can't keep up - even on Scenery Complexity set to Low. I tried New York and it wasn't pretty.But in rural areas (almost no matter how complex the mesh is) is quite fast on my machine. For example the Grand Canyon just flies ;)Christian

Guest cbuchner1

kh0kh1kh2kh3...somehow the star character for load balancing got lost in your INI file.it should say kh*.something.com ;)Christian

Guest DefBringer

I got this to work on the first try but I am a little disappointed.My area (downtown Kansas City, MO) has checkerboard tiling...some are populated with satellite data and others are not. Also, when I switch to the view of any other air traffic their scenery is all just a big blur...it makes it look like they're going lightspeed.Where is a good area to try this out to see if I have it installed correctly?Also, I tried uninstalling the software but now each time I load up FSX it is trying to load textures from the World folder I just deleted as per uninstall directions in the readme. :(

Guest cbuchner1

Ah, views from other aircraft. That suddenly makes the camera position change (not the aircraft position). My program looks at the aircraft position exclusively to determine the tile resolution. The same problem is with tower views.Maybe that can be fixed in future versions, but it is not high on my priorities list.The entries for the World folder can be manually deleted from scenery.cfg or deactivated (unchecked) in the Scenery library dialog of FSX (sorry that this is close to 100 folders). If you leave the checkmarks on, you will get a lot of warnings when starting FSX the next time. These warning dialogs can be acknowledged quickly by pressing and holding the Enter key. ;)Christian

I'd run google earth if that is what you are using and see what areas are high res. I live North of Detroit-and I am right on the cusp where it goes from hi res to low. Perhaps Kansas City is not yet?In any case you can see what areas will work or not.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg