Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

The TileProxy project goes public in May.

I am tentatively scheduling the release of the TileProxy project for May 1st, which means the first general release of this program is almost exactly 6 months after I first posted here about the idea. If you do not know what this is about, please review the threads that I started in the Scenery Design forum (among the threads with the most views). This might be a significant release for the FSX community - at least for those who enjoy VFR flying over realistic satellite terrain.I will "officially" introduce the project at the Flight Simulator Show in Forli, Italy on May 5th and 6th - as officially as one can introduce a freeware open source project (licensed under GPL). I intend to host the project and downloads on sourceforge. The program features an automated installer, an English manual and as an added bonus it comes with GPL'ed source code. It will not be pre-configured to access any particular online service for satellite map data. This final step will be left to the user. In its current state, the project is in beta state and it has a few rough edges. In particular it does not yet have a proper graphical user interface. But I think it is important to get the message out there: The future of VFR flying is about to start - and it requires a decent broadband connection and Microsoft Flight Simulator X.Christian

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Did you manage to find a way to optimize the downloads? I mean, depending on viz, altitude etc...

This will revolutionize flightsim!This is what FS11 should be aiming to be!Shez

I have been following your work. And I have to say am very impressed. We in the flightsim community are always thankful for folks like you who endeavour to improve the product and hobby.I look forward to seeing your beta, good luck with the FS show in Italy.Bryan "fltsimguy" WallisDuncan, BC, Canada

You might want to check out the avsim file library in the FSX Utilities category soon. It is a 2.5 MB download.One more important thing for Vista users: 32 bit systems only, please - 64 bit systems are out of the loop! I might work on a 64 bit capable kernel driver later but right now I don't have a system for testing this.I would urgently advise that initially only experienced users check it out and report back their experiences with the program. It's a beta version after all.ChristianPS: And just after uploading I found some spelling mistakes in the manual, doh.PS2: I beat SP1. Let's just hope SP1 is compatible.

So the beta has been uploaded and will appear as soon as the library managers have had a chance to add it and, if all works out, the "proper" program will appear 1st May. Have I got that correct?

Besides a fixed few spelling mistakes there won't be anything new on May 1st. Sourceforge will be the official home of the project as soon as their staff will have approved it.

The distance to the ground tile determines its resolution (factoring in current altitude above ground). Distance is in part estimated through latitude and longitude difference between aircraft and the ground tile (assuming the Earth is a perfectly round ball of cheese). So flying high (for example at 33000 ft) will load low resolution tiles. But the program still can't quite keep up with jet aircraft, so better get a high altitude baloon for FSX ;-)

Ya'know...I am fully aware that patience is a virtue, but never before have I more wanted the AVSIM library moderators to be "on-the-job". :) I'll sit back, have a cold one, and await the release.I think we might want to kick a thread in the Scenery Design area for any bug reports. Cheers,-Greg

Great work. I am wondering how much the seasons impact realism for VFR as these Sat services only have one season.

>Great work. I am wondering how much the seasons impact>realism for VFR as these Sat services only have one season.If you want winter, you can just endlessly circle the small town of Saxonburg PA, about 20 miles northeast of Pittsburgh!

Grand Canyon's north rim also appears to have some snow on Google Maps/Earth.

i have been in touch with someone who had an algorithm to convert satellite terrain to different seasons. Unfortunately I was too busy during the last 2 months to do any work or research in that direction.I believe that an image processing "plugin" (an external DLL) could convert satellite terrain to different appearances depending on season, geographic location and other factors (ground altitude, weather conditions etc)Christian

Wow! That would be even more amazing! Maybe something for night and it would be complete.Shez

Well, patience is a virtue ;) My first upload was rejected due to a missing README file detailing contact information in the zip folder.I had to re-upload, but as an added bonus the user manual now has a few paragraphs better worded and contains less spelling mistakes.So there's a chance this program ACTUALLY gets published May 1st.Christian

>>Well, patience is a virtue ;) My first upload was rejected due>to a missing README file detailing contact information in the>zip folder.>>I had to re-upload, but as an added bonus the user manual now>has a few paragraphs better worded and contains less spelling>mistakes.>>So there's a chance this program ACTUALLY gets published May>1st.>>Christian>I still don't see anything in the file library.

>>I believe that an image processing "plugin" (an external DLL)>could convert satellite terrain to different appearances>depending on season, geographic location and other factors>(ground altitude, weather conditions etc)>This is the key to making satellite photo terrain "the thing" in FS. The lack of seasonal variation, and light variation, and the raw processing power needed to convert terrain photos on-the-fly are the main things that have held back photoscenery.The recent thread here at AVSIM about where FS is going to be in 10 or 20 years comes into perspective...??RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

If you need some help, please let me know. I have been into real time image processing with CUDA for the last few months.

In my case I don't find the seasons in FS very realistic at all and fly the sim almost always in "summer" as that season looks the most real to me. (I'll admit where I live it is winter 6 months of the year, and I also don't like the real out the window view or flying in that season either-so I may be biased and wishing for a nicer time of the year when I simulate).So for me I'd rather sacrifice seasons for a out the window view that matches real world reality-vs. having seasons but with generic textures that don't match the real world at all. With the ability to display high res now on fsx the view is finally breathtakingly real-even low-like the Aosta scenery in our avsim library.I can't wait for this!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

I think he is talking about converting the default season from google earth to other season on the flight. Given the proper algrithm, we can do this in real time on the gfx. Using current weather info as a hint, we also generate different shades for the textures. As FSX doesn't use the gfx card very effectively, there should be plenty of power to spare.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this