Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

The TileProxy project goes public in May.

Guest cbuchner1

I am tentatively scheduling the release of the TileProxy project for May 1st, which means the first general release of this program is almost exactly 6 months after I first posted here about the idea. If you do not know what this is about, please review the threads that I started in the Scenery Design forum (among the threads with the most views). This might be a significant release for the FSX community - at least for those who enjoy VFR flying over realistic satellite terrain.I will "officially" introduce the project at the Flight Simulator Show in Forli, Italy on May 5th and 6th - as officially as one can introduce a freeware open source project (licensed under GPL). I intend to host the project and downloads on sourceforge. The program features an automated installer, an English manual and as an added bonus it comes with GPL'ed source code. It will not be pre-configured to access any particular online service for satellite map data. This final step will be left to the user. In its current state, the project is in beta state and it has a few rough edges. In particular it does not yet have a proper graphical user interface. But I think it is important to get the message out there: The future of VFR flying is about to start - and it requires a decent broadband connection and Microsoft Flight Simulator X.Christian

Guest unitedpilot36

Awesome! I can't wait man.:D

Guest wyoming

Did you manage to find a way to optimize the downloads? I mean, depending on viz, altitude etc...

This will revolutionize flightsim!This is what FS11 should be aiming to be!Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

I have been following your work. And I have to say am very impressed. We in the flightsim community are always thankful for folks like you who endeavour to improve the product and hobby.I look forward to seeing your beta, good luck with the FS show in Italy.Bryan "fltsimguy" WallisDuncan, BC, Canada

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Guest cbuchner1

You might want to check out the avsim file library in the FSX Utilities category soon. It is a 2.5 MB download.One more important thing for Vista users: 32 bit systems only, please - 64 bit systems are out of the loop! I might work on a 64 bit capable kernel driver later but right now I don't have a system for testing this.I would urgently advise that initially only experienced users check it out and report back their experiences with the program. It's a beta version after all.ChristianPS: And just after uploading I found some spelling mistakes in the manual, doh.PS2: I beat SP1. Let's just hope SP1 is compatible.

So the beta has been uploaded and will appear as soon as the library managers have had a chance to add it and, if all works out, the "proper" program will appear 1st May. Have I got that correct?

Guest cbuchner1

Besides a fixed few spelling mistakes there won't be anything new on May 1st. Sourceforge will be the official home of the project as soon as their staff will have approved it.

Guest cbuchner1

The distance to the ground tile determines its resolution (factoring in current altitude above ground). Distance is in part estimated through latitude and longitude difference between aircraft and the ground tile (assuming the Earth is a perfectly round ball of cheese). So flying high (for example at 33000 ft) will load low resolution tiles. But the program still can't quite keep up with jet aircraft, so better get a high altitude baloon for FSX ;-)

Ya'know...I am fully aware that patience is a virtue, but never before have I more wanted the AVSIM library moderators to be "on-the-job". :) I'll sit back, have a cold one, and await the release.I think we might want to kick a thread in the Scenery Design area for any bug reports. Cheers,-Greg

Guest BOPrey

Great work. I am wondering how much the seasons impact realism for VFR as these Sat services only have one season.