Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

The TileProxy project goes public in May.

Guest fatboysim

After simming over about 20 square miles, I end up with a many thousands of small bmp files in my world folders. If I refly the same area I get blurries while FSX catches up with access to these files (even though no internet access is required). More challenging still is they are smaller than my RAID0 stripe size. Is there any utility to merge the smallers files into fewer larger files? Much of the off the shelf photoscenery is supplied as larger files I think.Or perhaps I could compile them into FSX BGLs, if I could figure out the metadata relating to each bitmap (coordinates, LOD, etc)

Guest cbuchner1

The entire hack relies on these files being separate. There is no way tileproxy could dynamically generate a BGL file in the new format (which embeds all the textures in compressed form).The big performance hit comes from the large number of files, even when they already exist on disk. That is why I have to recommend to set the LOD detail radius to "minimum" because with decreasing radius less tiles have to be loaded and kept updated.

Guest fatboysim

I'm seeing the TileProxy as collecting the tiles I'm interested in, and then I port them into a permanent BGL that I register in the scenery library as per any other regular area. I only do this for my favourite places that I spend a lot of time flying over. If my new BGL is big enough, I'm hoping to see a blurry reduction through a throughput improvement.This is like the APS software from Aerosoft which is a demo at this time, and then I don't know if it will support user chosen scenery generation

Guest DefBringer

GEOFA -You seem to say you got this to work without a hitch. Can you please post your ProxyUser file?No matter what part of the country I fly over, I see the entire USA map as one tile (like in my picture above).I work in IT for a living and I'm pouring over my settings with an experienced eye and I do not see anything wrong. I wonder if my fsx.cfg is hosed?

Tokyo, Sydney and Rome are worth visiting but the clarity depends on which server you use ;-)George

Guest sunstriker

>GEOFA ->>You seem to say you got this to work without a hitch. Can you>please post your ProxyUser file?>>No matter what part of the country I fly over, I see the>entire USA map as one tile (like in my picture above).>>I work in IT for a living and I'm pouring over my settings>with an experienced eye and I do not see anything wrong. I>wonder if my fsx.cfg is hosed?M8 try what I did I also had this but now working I noticed file had gone from edit file in Program menu but was present in folder weird so I cut and pasted it, worked!!been to Costa Rica - nice!Antigua nice but mixed tilesMonserrat poor at mo. and Grand Canyon superb in a heliOMG what a program!Rich

I cannot find the cache folder{ is there one} and nothing d/ls - must be doing it wrong - also i don't have the line where it loads the plan and obtains the lat and long - seen this in the forum.

Hey mate, you had too much to drink? Unless you have something constructive to add you input is not required.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Guest cbuchner1

Not sure if it's so useful to tap into a web based cache folder. The user would have to scroll through a HUGE area to get a reasonable coverage for the desired area.24 (256x256 pixels) JPEG tiles from a satellite service are needed to fill the texture for a 1.1km square (1024x1024 pixels) terrain tile. It's 24, not 16 due to the different horizontal coordinate system that is getting used by FSX. About 25000-30000 FSX ground tiles are visible with the lowest detail radius. Makes about 500.000 JPEG tiles to download to cover that radius at high resolution. Not very practical in my opinion.Christian

Guest cbuchner1

To compile into FSX BGL's you need the resample.exe tool from the SDK which only takes huge uncompressed TIFF or raw data files for input. The BMP's can't be converted with resample.exe unfortunately. It would be kind of cool if you could, but hey - ask Microsoft that you'd like that feature in the next SDK ;)

Guest lha773

Hi Christian,great work. But I recognizeed some kind of bug, that is maybe blamed to an wrong configuration at my side?First at all, i have a very slow internet connection. Although I want to use the programm, getting best performance is reachable.So there are some questions:1.) the setting bulk_extend does not work well in my understanding.Even this parameter ist set to 1,2, or 4, the programm will send up to 64 requests the same time (in detail Level (16/17). With the consequence, that 4-6 Tiles are being downloaded. The rest is timed out.An optimal setting at my connection speed will be a "true bulk_extend" of 4-6.Requests in that size are very quick and not disturbing each other.It woult me more efficient in my system to split the 64 Requests in 16*4 requests, even the programm will only get the half of Tiles in the given time.Perhaps my Config_file will help you to find an error?[TileProxy]lod_distance=1000fast_mode=Nosource=Google Earth[Google Earth]cache_folder=cache.tilesnetwork_module=libnettilemodule_config="server=kh.google.com|path=/kh?t=t%s&n=404&v=17|quad=qrts|balance=0123|useragent=MSIE 6.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"max_lod=13min_level=9max_level=17color_hack=Nocolor_level=0bulk_extend=42.) What will happen with these tiles not loaded/timed out?I saw, the programm will load them when rebuilding the scenery. I expect it will rebuild only these around the current position?Are tiles, that are not loaded, respectively displayed the first time flown over the scenery, being loaded and updatet automatically by flying over the scenery again?3.) What will happen with tiles, where the programm says "giving up"?

Guest SIDDickDastardly

I have the Horizon Gen X photoscenery for England and Wales and the huge difference in realism between that and the default MS textures has more or less totally restricted my flying to the UK until now.Since downloading TileProxy, though, I can fly all over the place and still enjoy the benefits of photorealistic scenery. I've just had a great flight round Geneva (and would in fact still be flying if it wasn't for the fact that it's 2:30am here and I have to get up in less than six hours).I just had to hop onto the forum first before staggering off to bed to thank you for all the hard work that's obviously gone into this wonderful piece of software. A fantastic effort m8! I'll be following your progress with great interest.Cheers,DD

Guest bustervk

>>I am tentatively scheduling the release of the TileProxy>project for May 1st, which means the first general release of>this program is almost exactly 6 months after I first posted>here about the idea. If you do not know what this is about,>please review the threads that I started in the Scenery Design>forum (among the threads with the most views). This might be a>significant release for the FSX community - at least for those>who enjoy VFR flying over realistic satellite terrain.>>I will "officially" introduce the project at the Flight>Simulator Show in Forli, Italy on May 5th and 6th - as>officially as one can introduce a freeware open source project>(licensed under GPL). I intend to host the project and>downloads on sourceforge. The program features an automated>installer, an English manual and as an added bonus it comes>with GPL'ed source code. It will not be pre-configured to>access any particular online service for satellite map data.>This final step will be left to the user. >>In its current state, the project is in beta state and it has>a few rough edges. In particular it does not yet have a proper>graphical user interface. But I think it is important to get>the message out there: The future of VFR flying is about to>start - and it requires a decent broadband connection and>Microsoft Flight Simulator X.>>Christian>hi Christian,Only one, but important question:Is your original TileProxy Freeware project one and the same as Aerosoft's Commercial Aeorsoft Photo Scenery?Good luck with your excellent project.Kind regardsBert