Sign in to follow this  
hawkhero

Any Feedback On The New Traffic X?

I'm quite happy with it. There were a few bumps at first, but nothing that hasn't been fixed.It's not true traffic ie. actual flight plans, but it does add traffic to FSX with acceptable frame rates.

Guest jetBlue_03

I have it, and I like it. The aircraft models are nice (a VERY important thing for me), and the amount of traffic that gets generated is great as well. I did have an issue getting it to work, but that was due to having multiple traffic fles (I had Ultimate Traffic installed previously). Once I removed the flles, the MyTraffic traffic showed up without a problem. I have not tried out the other features of the program (such as he ability to customize the traffic, etc.); I like the way the program handles it, and don't feel a need to change anything.As for framerates, I don't see a performance hit when I have alot of ai at large airports (such as FS Dreameam's KJFK). Most likely it's not that much of a hit, but it could also be that I'm running FSX on a beast of a machine:Intel E8600, 8GB DDR800 Ram, Nvidia Gtx 260 (896 MB), Abit IP35 Pro XE motherboard, WD Velociraptor 300GB (FSX sits here).I'm not much of a reviewr, but feel free to ask specific questions...I'll try to answer as best I can!

Guest Mower

FPS hits are a major factor me as I run other payware add-ons as well. So I had gone with My Traffic 5.2, since it specifiaclly dealt with and discussed FPS overhead and has options to tweak that.Does Traffic X consider this issue as well?

So the AI traffic doesn't follow Airline flightplans?
Of the three commercial AI programs - only Ultimate Traffic uses real world airline schedules. UT has the most comprehensive schedule of any AI, payware or freeware, but it takes a bit of work to get the best performance. UT is also a bit difficult to update schedules and only does yearly or semi-annual schedule updates.Both My Traffic and Traffic have some specific flights added to match real world schedules, but only a very small percentage of the total flights.The freeware airline packages from World of AI and Project AI for those few airlines not done by WoA - have very current schedules in most cases. WoA also does updates very well if you use the automated installer.For the ultimate in realism for schedules - you cannot beat AirNav FS Live Traffic. It uses the My Traffic models, but downloads a snapshot of the current US ATC system, delays, diversions, etc - and compiles a new traffic file of that day's, that time AI traffic.It does take a bit of time, but if you want ultra-realism....Unfortunately, the way the world ATC system is organized it will be a long while, maybe never, before something similar can be done for Europe and Asia and other major markets.

FPS hits are a major factor me as I run other payware add-ons as well. So I had gone with My Traffic 5.2, since it specifiaclly dealt with and discussed FPS overhead and has options to tweak that.Does Traffic X consider this issue as well?
FPS is not an issue from the AI traffic program standpoint.The real truth is that anytime you add thousands of polygons to your FS world, it will slow down your system and require more resources.It also takes more resources if you add dozens to hundreds of AI aircraft flying up to 120nm from your aircraft, but which are not in view.My Traffic appears to have the lowest polygon, least detailed models, of the various AI program choices - so should be the most FPS friendly.Traffic by Just Flight is a new product and has many new models, so should be near, but not quite up to My Traffic. From the promotional screen shots of both packages you can get a good idea of what detail and smoothness you give up for better FPS performance.In third place, I would put the freeware packages from World of AI. They have the best models of any of the options. But the models are built by several different freeware contributors. Some are quite old, and some are very new. WoA does use many models which have advanced XML animations, which take a performance hit in return for such things as flaps partially down for takeoff. The freeware developers have done a better job with using the advantages of LOD in my opinion, than the payware packages overall.Ultimate Traffic still has the first and second generation FSPainter and ProjectAI models. An update to new models is promised.However, FPS impact is driven not only by the aircraft models, but by the airports. If you add more AI aircraft than you have parking spots to support - even at airports out of the visual range - that is going to cause you issues.If you have a strong AI environment, and you add detailed airport scenery - that will hurt your FPS.Burkhard on the My Traffic support forums is the most active, most concerned with working with his customers to help achieve the best performance. From a customer support standpoint, My Traffic has the others beat hands down.Finally, no matter what you have for AI, what you have for a computer - some of the world's busiest air spaces are going to drag down anyone's FS world. London is the worst, with New York and Los Angeles close seconds. Any place with four or five commerical passenger airports within 80nm is going to be tough on any computer.

Another thing you need to watch out for with your AI is that it's Exit statements in the aircraft.cfg file is not setup to activate the jetways. If they are, then each time you start FS you will have a temporary (About 2 to 4 minutes) huge impact on performance, while all the jetways in 120 mile radius engage. Worse when you fly into a new area, it starts all over again. Sure they're a nice effect, but a real FPS hog!!! To avoid this make sure the exit statements are setup in FS9 format. It's ok though to have your user aircraft setup for jetways. WOAI, I know already do not setup for jetways, but I don't know about the payware options. Hopefully they didn't enable this effect, or at least has an easy way to disable it.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Burkhard on the My Traffic support forums is the most active, most concerned with working with his customers to help achieve the best performance. From a customer support standpoint, My Traffic has the others beat hands down.
You are so right - and more importantly he remains ever patient when a user (me :() who gets in a fix and struggles to get out of it.

Guest pwheeler

Many people seem to get very confused when it comes to the different AI packages - probably due to the fact they all have similar names.Here is the way I see it:UltimateTrafficX - All ported FS9 models so bad on frame rates.WorldofAI - ported FS9 models so bad on frame rates.MyTrafficX - a mix of FS9 ported models and true FSX models so medium on fps (you can choose just to use the native models but that limits diversity).Traffic X - All brand new DX10 compatible 100% native FSX models - so good on the fps.Traffic X is simply the only AI product on the market with 100% native FSX models. (the new UltimateTraffic2 looks like it will also be all new FSX models as well) For some reason many simmers don't recognise the importance on having native FSX models (despite Phil Taylor frequently trying to persuade the community). Native FSX models are essential for good fps. This is the case for both payware aircraft and freeware. Its not just about the polygon count, but whether it was made using the FSX SDK or not.Traffic X has just recieved its first service pack an all the initial issues seem to be fixed. I have loads of commercial and GA traffic at most airports with pretty good fps - even in London with over 400 aircraft on the radar at around 40% traffic its not too bad.Well thats how I see it anyway.

Many people seem to get very confused when it comes to the different AI packages - probably due to the fact they all have similar names.Here is the way I see it:UltimateTrafficX - All ported FS9 models so bad on frame rates.WorldofAI - ported FS9 models so bad on frame rates.MyTrafficX - a mix of FS9 ported models and true FSX models so medium on fps (you can choose just to use the native models but that limits diversity).Traffic X - All brand new DX10 compatible 100% native FSX models - so good on the fps.Traffic X is simply the only AI product on the market with 100% native FSX models. (the new UltimateTraffic2 looks like it will also be all new FSX models as well) For some reason many simmers don't recognise the importance on having native FSX models (despite Phil Taylor frequently trying to persuade the community). Native FSX models are essential for good fps. This is the case for both payware aircraft and freeware. Its not just about the polygon count, but whether it was made using the FSX SDK or not.Traffic X has just recieved its first service pack an all the initial issues seem to be fixed. I have loads of commercial and GA traffic at most airports with pretty good fps - even in London with over 400 aircraft on the radar at around 40% traffic its not too bad.Well thats how I see it anyway.
I just got a new computer and after reinstalling fsx and a few addons reintalled MY Traffic X 5.1b and my system repeatedly crashed. By bringing traffic back to zero I was once again able to fly fsx. Now I have to figure out how to remove it......apparently there is a specific procedure to follow. If someone could point me in the direction to find it that would be great. Thanks.

Guest Mower
Burkhard on the My Traffic support forums is the most active, most concerned with working with his customers to help achieve the best performance. From a customer support standpoint, My Traffic has the others beat hands down.
Pay heed to this as I have found to be true. I researched extensively and recently selected MT5.2.AI traffic is (or can be) a major drain on FPS if it is not one correctly.