Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Tuning Questions For Nickn

Guest JimBrown

Just to clarify, I do not have Acronis True Image installed in either XP or Vista. I only use the boot CD to play with images.So far, no problems with Vista or XP.Regards,...jim

Guest JNS
Yes Jim, True Image is the tool that came with my bundle for Acronis... I just was not sure of its use with Vista because I never tried it with the OSThanks for chiming in on the subject.. If I read what you posted correctly its use with the VISTA OS partition is safe? :(
Hmmm.....looks like my last comment didn't get posted. Anyway, what I said was that I went ahead and picked up True Image Home yesterday at my local Micro Center. It says on the box that it supports Vista and the fairly knowledgeable sales rep said he uses it with no problem. And, as Jim said, apparently it only copies the data to image and not the whole partition which is exactly what I wanted. What through me off was that my Mac image software at the studio would copy the whole partition, blank space and all. So, I'll be trying True Image in a couple of days. I also double-checked online and it doesn't look like the Disk Director program, which I almost got, too, officially supports Vista. So, hopefully all is good now.Jeff

Nick, The last sentence in your post above, you write:"And the AV is also key... NOD 32 (just the AV not their Security Suite product) will protect just fine and leave NO footprint issues on a system. It does NOT need to be shut down to fly"What is this "AV" that you are referring to? Is it this:http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition ?What do you use for Internet Security (if anything)?Regards, Robert
Anyone recommend a good firewall product to run alongside Nod32 please - XP 32 and 64thanksGraham

Guest Nick_N
Anyone recommend a good firewall product to run alongside Nod32 please - XP 32 and 64thanksGraham
Yesthe Windows firewall and dont worry about itYour not a major corporation or MI6Those security products are a waste of resources for a home system. Your router has a hardware NAT firewall built into it too so dont plug up your system with junk

I have yet to tune a system in the last 4.5 years that needed anything past what I posted in that thread above and a manual flush of the start systemThese are the only items that run with my system at ALL startups. Every one of them are related to critical hardware functions and pose no massive footprint on the systemI do not use 'hardware profiles' or any other silly method .. just optimize the computer correctlyAnd the AV is also key... NOD 32 (just the AV not their Security Suite product) will protect just fine and leave NO footprint issues on a system. It does NOT need to be shut down to fly
Hi Nick,I've been following and doing the computer optimizing that you have given us. Thank you very much. However I am looking for the startup.jpg mentioned above.Is there a separate post somewhere that I can go to to find out which programs to keep for sure.WindowsXP, FS9 for now. Looking to upgrade to new computer to use with both FSX and FS9.Thank you,Alan

Guest Nick_N
Hi Nick,I've been following and doing the computer optimizing that you have given us. Thank you very much. However I am looking for the startup.jpg mentioned above.Is there a separate post somewhere that I can go to to find out which programs to keep for sure.WindowsXP, FS9 for now. Looking to upgrade to new computer to use with both FSX and FS9.Thank you,Alan
Every system is different Alan.. what I can leave running on mine or shut down you may not be able to .. its a trial and error situation sometimes.