Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

btacon

The Yellowstone Caldera...about To Blow?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I saw a documentary about that once. If that thing blows it will seriously affect most of the US ans Canada

I saw a documentary about that once. If that thing blows it will seriously affect most of the US ans Canada
It will affect the whole world. Scientists say it will have enough of an ash cloud to cover a large portion of the atmosphere and block out almost all of the suns radiation. This will cause global temperatures to plummet

It will affect the whole world. Scientists say it will have enough of an ash cloud to cover a large portion of the atmosphere and block out almost all of the suns radiation. This will cause global temperatures to plummet
Is it cynical of me to think that we'll suddenly hear a shift from Al Gore towards, "Stop the global cooling crisis! Buy coal and Hummers for the good of our environment!"

The Yellowstone volcano has the potential of killing millions of people in North America long before climate change will become a factor. Remember what happened to the valleys immediately surrounding Mt St Helens? The Yellowstone volcano could produce similar effects over much of the continual US (much of the area of land draining into the Mississippi). The Yellowstone caldera is so big it took most of a century for geologists to realize that most of the national park is a huge volcanic crater.