Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest N697DT

Anybody losing their airspeed indicator?

I keep losing my airspeed indicator about every other flight. Sometimes it will come back after 5 minutes or so. I have all of my failures turned off. Anybody else?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Of all of the problems that I am having this is not one of them. A couple of questions for you are you using real time weather & is it cold? Does this happen in any aircraft? Did you try starting the flight with the pitot heat turned on? Hope this helps yaJerry

YUP Turn on Pilot heat..Gotta keep the air tubes warm....

I keep losing my airspeed indicator about every other flight. Sometimes it will come back after 5 minutes or so. I have all of my failures turned off. Anybody else?
It happens because your pitot tube is frozen. Turn on pitot heat and everything will work fine.

It happens because your pitot tube is frozen. Turn on pitot heat and everything will work fine.
Not necessarily... if you stray into an area with "severe icing" even pitot heating isn't always sufficient. Happened to me quite a few times in the past.One way to avoid this is to set icing up in FSUIPC if you have a registered version and not allow for severe icing.Regards,Jure

Not necessarily... if you stray into an area with "severe icing" even pitot heating isn't always sufficient. Happened to me quite a few times in the past.One way to avoid this is to set icing up in FSUIPC if you have a registered version and not allow for severe icing.Regards,Jure
You may need to use the FS shortcut, certainly within FS9, when using add-on aircraft such as LevelD/PMDG. Although the pitot heat may be active on the panel try using 'SHIFT + H', the default FS toggle.RegardsSteve

You may need to use the FS shortcut, certainly within FS9, when using add-on aircraft such as LevelD/PMDG. Although the pitot heat may be active on the panel try using 'SHIFT + H', the default FS toggle.RegardsSteve
Steve,ha, I haven't thought of that. Thanks! :(Regards,Jure

I have been flying FS9 for quite some time and have never had the pitot tube freeze up on me. Is this a feature of ASA? I'm not sure, but I think it has happened in a few different airplanes.

It just shows you how poor the default weather engines in FS9 and FSX are and unfortunately the FSX WX engine is worse than the FS9 one in many respects.Pitot freezing can be very dependent on what parts of the world you fly in, as well and the type of aircraft you fly and not to mention the altitudes you fly at. If you only ever fly in equatorial regions in summer months for example you will probably never see a frozen Pitot Tube.

I have been flying FS9 for quite some time and have never had the pitot tube freeze up on me. Is this a feature of ASA? I'm not sure, but I think it has happened in a few different airplanes.
It might depend on what airplane you are flying. It used to happen to me a lot in certain add-ons (payware) no matter what Active Sky Wx engine I was using. I finally decided to disable icing in AS6 because it was a problem. So far in ASA with icing on, I haven't had the problem using pitot heat, however, the conditions might not have been severe enough, plus I've been flying different aircraft.