Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest savoy06

Real World Weather

Need a favor to help me figger out whats going on.I live in DC. I have DLed REAL WORLD weather. Winds and sky (viz) conditions I download are accurate. HOWEVER, it is NOT snowing and hasnt since 2 weeks ago - yet today I DLed real world weather. There is snow all over DC in the sim but outside the immediate DC area - the ground is clear of snow. Real World weather has had snow falling in DC for the past two weeks. This past Friday is was sunny and almost 70 - viz clear - yet when I DLed wether last Friday - it was snowing. Can someone start a sim at KDCA - download real world weather and tell me if they get the snow?This is driving me nuts !! Thanks !!Savoy06

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Get active sky.
That seems like a curt answer, but it's the truth... default "real-world" weather is terrible. Get ActiveSky from HiFi Simulations. It's worth every penny, and you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner.

I can only add to it. Make yourself a gift - ActiveSky!To be honest I cannot make any even shortest flight withour it.I believe it's one of the basic addons to make MFS a genuine aviation simulator.Before I got it I had tried to use the default RWX but it never really worked.

You state the snow is on the ground. This has NOTHING to do with real world weather. You are seeing the seasonal ground textures in and around Washington DC this is normal for "hard winter" which is the current season. Advance your sim date about 2 weeks (post March 21) and your problem will be gone.You may want to buy Active Sky but it will not change the ground textures.When I download current MSFS weather at KDCA - I do NOT get any snow in the skies, but there is plenty of snow on the ground.

OKOnly the brave should read on...............Concur with snow on ground in early MAR - being a GIVEN regardless of whether or not you dl real world weather or not for DC in MAR. However if it is MAR - and snow on ground is a given in DC - if it IS snowing in DC and being reported by weather stations - we should expect to see real time snow FALL as reported. If it is NOT snowing actively - I shouldnt expect it to be actively snowing ( active = falling from the sky) +or - changes between the hourly reporting cycle. BUTWhy is there ACTIVE snow fall when I DL real word weather - when it is not - nor has it been - ACTIVELY snowing in DC for 2 weeks?Especially when last FRI it was high 60s to low 70s and CLEAR VMC with NO active snow fall? You guys DO intrigue me with installing Active Sky - but I have never had a problem with real world weather dl being fairly accurate since I bought the sim after it came out 4 years ago.My intent is not to argue or bite hands trying to feed/help me - but what I describe is the case.If I apply Active Ssky ( which I know nothing about but assume it makes Dled weather more accurate) will it interfere with any other sky or weather mods I am using? HECK - what ever I AM using I have been using for so long now I dont even know what the heck I am using from a sky mod( not weather mod) standpoint.

Hi,Active Sky does not need to interfere with your other textures!

Which version of Active Sky are you guys using now? I've read that there is a new version out now? jerrycwo4

Give FSMetar a whirl. I sure have good success with it.FSMetar_Freeware Weather Programhttp://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/fsmetar/Even though it has lost the IVAO server, it still downloads accurate metars from the VATSIM server or the NOAA server...your choice. Much better depictions than Real Weather, I think, even though I use Real Weather in equal amounts. You can also save metars to revisit a unique weather system you liked. Look up up-to-date metars on the net, copy the metar and paste/save into FSMetar. Have FSMetar get a current metar from anyplace South Dakota, save it up, and fly that weather in sunny DC. :( Anyway, it's free, and worth a go. If you don't like it........ditch it.

Which version of Active Sky are you guys using now? I've read that there is a new version out now? jerrycwo4
Active Sky Advanced.It's the latest version and worth every penny. Supports both FS9 and FSX.Gives you excellent real world, real time weather, but also good reports, briefings, weather maps, possibility to search for certain types of weather (if you want to practise your ILS Cat IIIb capabilities in a snowstorm, ASA will help you find the place to fly to in order to get it) and lots and lots more features.Last but not least support from developer HifiSim is very good.Regards,Frank

Need a favor to help me figger out whats going on.I live in DC. I have DLed REAL WORLD weather. Winds and sky (viz) conditions I download are accurate. HOWEVER, it is NOT snowing and hasnt since 2 weeks ago - yet today I DLed real world weather. There is snow all over DC in the sim but outside the immediate DC area - the ground is clear of snow. Real World weather has had snow falling in DC for the past two weeks. This past Friday is was sunny and almost 70 - viz clear - yet when I DLed wether last Friday - it was snowing. Can someone start a sim at KDCA - download real world weather and tell me if they get the snow?This is driving me nuts !! Thanks !!Savoy06
--------------Same problem here in Victoria BC!!! Couldn't figure it out until I checked FS Time And Season setting. Somehow date had reverted to some 6 years ago. Reset date to current and bingo- everything is AOK! Alex Reid

Savoy06, yep, get ActiveSky6.5 or, as has been recommened Advanced. It is 'The Weather Solution', in my opinion.Ken