Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest dougwells

Jeppesen SimCharts is going Away

Funny that this came today. I was just working with FSWidgets EFB last night. Trying to decide if I should use this instead of SimCharts. Both are great but I feel I'm "cheating" a bit with Simcharts as I don't use georeferenced approach plates in the real world. SimCharts sure is convenient though. No work at all. Just type in your aiport code and there it is. Easy and effective. Anyone know if SimCharts for FS9 (which you can buy on a disk, I don't think you have to hook up to Jeppesen's server) works well on FSX? I saw PC Aviator ran a special on it last week.Doug===Important SimCharts 4.0 Announcement Regarding your current SimCharts 4.0 subscription: Dear Customers,This email is to let you know that the sale of our SIMCharts 4.0 service which works in conjunction with Microsoft Flight Simulator version 10 (FSX), will end on April 1, 2009. There is no new version being planned at this time. Support for the SIMCharts 4.0 service will continue for 1 year thereafter or until March 31, 2010. Access to the service after March 31, 2010 will no longer be available. We appreciate you as a customer and encourage you to visit our website, jeppesen.com, to view the full breadth of services and offerings Jeppesen has available to you.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

SimCharts3 works for FS9SimCharts4 works for FSXWe were trying to get confirmation of them pulling the product after the first of April , did any other users of SimCharts recieve the above notice ?

Beatle from Aces did respond with a mention regarding " Real Weather " from Jeppesen though he knew nothing about SimCharts unfortunatelyHey Guys,We have made arrangements for the FSX Weather Server to remain up for the foreseeable future (which probably means at least several more years - hopefully, someone will have released something new by then :-> ).Tim

After sending an Email to Jeppesen to confirm this i got an answer , and it was no joke it seems We are indeed discontinuing sales of SIMCharts 4.0 on April 1. Support for this product will be offered until April 1, 2010. We are evaluating future versions of SIMCharts but no firm decisions have been made at this time. Best regards, --EricEric AndersonPublic RelationsCorporate Communications

Real Weather -- I didn't even think about losing that. I'm relieved to hear that Jeppesen is continuing this support. Does anyone know if Active Sky Advanced relies on the fsx weather server or does it have its own weather source. I was thinking of buying Active Sky in the coming weeks (right after I buy Flight1 Mustang -- I'm really looking forward to flying that bird!).Thanks

Airnav.com has all the US charts you need, free
For the U.S., yes... for the rest of the world, no.

I've had the same e-mail.But here is the advertisement which I relied on when I bought my copy:"SIMCharts is now available for just $41.95/

I suspect the reason they're binning it off is because it would probably detract from their real world aviation product, Jeppview. It's a cool product, but personally, I think you'd be insane to take off in real life and rely on electronic charts alone - I've never yet known a paper chart to refuse to boot up owing to a disk error! Witness what a mess the crew of a L.O.T. Boeing 737 got in last year over Heathrow when they didn't align their IRS properly and took off, losing all their electronic flight displays right after take-off!Link to Jeppview page: http://www.jeppesen.com/industry-solutions...ic-charting.jspThey can hardly charge the price they want to for Jeppview charts when they're banging out another version of it for a lot less to simmers. This has happened with a few other products for FS in the past that cross the divide between simming and real world aviation, including the Precision Pilot IFR training software for simmers, which was about 40 quid cheaper than the equivalent real world aviation training tool it was a version of, and there really wasn't much difference between the two products.To some extent you can't really blame their thinking in terms of giving their real-world product better credibility, but, as Tim notes in the post above, if they advertised the simcharts product by saying that you would get support 'for life', and you have that claim in print, then they're in breach of their contract to you if they no longer support that promise. You could try emailing their support feedback, which you can find via the link I posted above. Go on, give their lawyers a scare :( At the very least you'll get your money back.Al

I think the reason is much more simple. Since Microsoft has announced the end of fs they see no reason to support it anymore. When they said "for life" , I think that could be interpreted as the "life" of the product.What do you want to bet the plug on rw downloads will be pulled about the same time.

Yup, you may well be right on their intention being 'for the life of the product', but if they didn't actually say that...That's why lawyers make so much money :( Al

Yup, you may well be right on their intention being 'for the life of the product', but if they didn't actually say that...That's why lawyers make so much money :( Al
I forgot to mention-I have been using a portable electronic flight bag in my aircraft for the last 5 years using Flightprep pro and have not had one problem-the first 4 years on a motion 800 tablet and now a samsung q1. I carry the paper for a backup-but so far all they have done is collect dust and add a lot of weight.

I think the reason is much more simple. Since Microsoft has announced the end of fs they see no reason to support it anymore. When they said "for life" , I think that could be interpreted as the "life" of the product.What do you want to bet the plug on rw downloads will be pulled about the same time.
I would have thought the life of a product would be as long as the manuafactuer continued to sell it.

Link to Jeppview page: http://www.jeppesen.com/industry-solutions...ic-charting.jspThey can hardly charge the price they want to for Jeppview charts when they're banging out another version of it for a lot less to simmers. This has happened with a few other products for FS in the past that cross the divide between simming and real world aviation, including the Precision Pilot IFR training software for simmers, which was about 40 quid cheaper than the equivalent real world aviation training tool it was a version of, and there really wasn't much difference between the two products.
SimCharts - Frozen in time with no updatesJeppview - Access to the latest cycles

I'm not sure the two can be conflated... one product is their own offering and the other is a service contract to a major 3rd party corporation/developer. It is clear that MS does not want to sacrifice the rights to the MSFS IP, so they may intend to use it. A smaller proportion of flight sim customers are privvy to the ACES closing or the MS spin doctors' assurance that they stand behind the franchise and "flying games." Thus, many customers probably have a long-term expectation that weather would be available. If not, MS support would become inundated with calls and emails inquiring about this "broken" feature. I do not expect real weather from Jeppesen to disappear next year, but I do not expect it to go on forever either. In five years time, I think some successor to FSX will be known and once that path is clear, the future of the Jepp contract will be known. On the other hand, who really knows? I am ready to believe just about anything after what we've been through lately. Fortunately, the SDK makes it possible for a 3rd party solution should Jepp's real weather evaporate. We'll have to jury rig FSX as it ages.

Common sense suggests it's for the life of the product. If a 15 year old bought it I doubt anyone would expect it has to be available for the next 85 years - assuming he made a 100.

Common sense suggests it's for the life of the product. If a 15 year old bought it I doubt anyone would expect it has to be available for the next 85 years - assuming he made a 100.
I agree, but common sense also suggests that when you buy a cup of hot coffee, it will be hot; nevertheless, that didn't stop Stella Liabeck from successfully taking McDonald's for 2.9 million dollars when she scalded herself with one of theirs :( Al

This is no april fool thingi. ITs real and I got that e-mail too. :(This is one of the addon that I loved. This was my way of getting charts for Europe. Now, I need to print the most fequented airports in Europe before they shut down.Manny

You still have navigraph if you want chart.I personally buy real jeppesen chart from ebay, I actually collect them as it's sort of real pilot things, that i like to have, of course the majority are expired but for sim porpouse it's ok.Maybe jeppesen have decided to close SimChart and will promote a jeppview also for simulation, it dosen't make very much difference if the service will be in a digital delivery like downloading a revision per year.Fabrizio

Sorry but I completely disagree. If you offer me a service "for the life of the service", you offer me precisely nothing, because I have no influence over the duration for which you choose to offer the service. The ONLY reasonable meaning of an offer of a service "for life" is "for the life of the offeree", not "at the whim of the offeror". It is a very peculiar idea that anyone with "common sense" would pay a fixed price for a service which the provider might terminate unilaterally at any moment.And there is no commercial absurdity about such an offer. The Jeppesen Simcharts are not kept up to date: they are all years old, reflecting (apparently) the data with which FSX was programmed. So there is no ongoing cost to Jeppesen in making them available, beyond the cost of keeping them online and available for download. That has a cost, it is true. But when/if they want to stop making the service available to new customers and/or to take the service offline, the solution is simple. They must make the same data available to existing customers in permanent form, on a DVD for example.Personally I intend to take this a little further with Jeppesen.Tim

I agree, but common sense also suggests that when you buy a cup of hot coffee, it will be hot; nevertheless, that didn't stop Stella Liabeck from successfully taking McDonald's for 2.9 million dollars when she scalded herself with one of theirs :( Al
That, with respect, is an absurd comparison. A correct analogy would be if Stella Liabeck had bought a packet of chips from McDonald's, started eating them as she was walking out of the store, and had the rest of them taken away by the manager half-way down the street.Tim