Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FusAtl

PMDG MD-11 Spoiler Issue

Hi, I was wondering if anyone is having problems with the spoilers deploying when you replay a landing in the MD-11 for FSX. The spoilers deploy perfectly when I do the actual landing, however every time I replay it, they do not deploy! Any suggestions? By the way, I've already installed the latest update but am still experiencing the problem. Thank you Rafael Ottey

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Use FS-recorder to record the flights as the built in replay function in FSX doesn't record a lot of functions on detailed aircraft like the MD-11.http://www.fs-recorder.net/
thank you very much Andy, I'll download it and give it a tryRafael

I'm using fs-recorder for a long time already. It is a great tool, but it does not extend the spoilers.There are quite often problems with replay of complex aircraft. I got used to it. Alex

I have this same problem in FS9. I also noticed there is no beacon or strobe lights in replay mode either, it's a subject I brought up before but with no joy. I think someone said that some fuctions are built outside of FS with this aircraft, I don't know what this meens, I'm not tech minded but it was suggested that this may be a factor. Anyone from PMDG? :( Malcolm Hancock (Rooster)

Here's what happens for me with the spoilers on replay running FSX. If you don't retract the spoilers after the rollout, then when the replay starts the spoilers are extended and remain that way throughout the approach and landing. If you retract the spoilers after the rollout, then when the replay starts the spoilers are retracted and do not extend on touchdown.Robert

Please, is there any help out there at all on this one,(PMDG), :( . Clearly it would seem that several people are having this problem, inc me :( .Thanks and regardsMalcolm Hancock (Rooster)

Please, is there any help out there at all on this one,(PMDG), :( . Clearly it would seem that several people are having this problem, inc me B) .Thanks and regardsMalcolm Hancock (Rooster)
Sorry Malcolm, I am not from PMDG, so I can only help by confirmation I have the same (I use FS9). During replay, lights, flaps and spoilers are not operated. Up to us to deploy again flaps and light before replay if we want to see or record a realistic view.For the the landing gear, it is a half way. The gears pull down as you did in flight except the middle main gear which is down as it was when you started the replay on ground. So, during the part gear up on replay you see just under the belly the central main gear out like a... :( hum let's tell it looks a bit dirty :(

Is anyone at PMDG going to give some help regarding this issue PLEASE! Clearly there are a number of people with this problem. I have the greatest respect for you guys and have everything you've made but how many times does a person have to ask. This is not the PMDG I know as far as support is concerned as you are normally so on the ball. This does not happen with any other aircraft you produce regarding spoilers and lights in replay mode, so why the MD11. So (ever so nicely of course :( ) a little help PLEASE!In anticipationMalcolm Hancock (Rooster)

Well, if it's gonna effect the logic, then I hope they leave it alone. I don't know why it's so important. I use replay to see my landing for fun and I know the spoilers deployed because the PNF says so and I hear them reset after rollout. I also know my gear and lights are fine. If it's screen shots you are wanting, then pause the sim and select your new view to take the shot. The pause message flashes, so you can capture it between and therefore remove the red pause message. It's not that difficult.

Well, if it's gonna effect the logic, then I hope they leave it alone. I don't know why it's so important. I use replay to see my landing for fun and I know the spoilers deployed because the PNF says so and I hear them reset after rollout. I also know my gear and lights are fine. If it's screen shots you are wanting, then pause the sim and select your new view to take the shot. The pause message flashes, so you can capture it between and therefore remove the red pause message. It's not that difficult.
Quit blaming PMDG for the shortcomings of MICROSOFT'S fs recorder functions.It happens with ALL replays,i.e.This has been known for years.Make the recordings with something like FRAPS during the flight if you want authentic lookingvideos.Ron :(

Thank you for your replies Chris and Ron. Couple of points though, Chris, I would agree its all for fun but its also different things to different people. I fly in the real world (light stuff) and I like to revue what I've done and be critical so I can improve my flight skills. As such I like an accurate replay in external mode. I'm sure you can respect that. :( Ron, I can only speak as I find and this does not happen to me in ANY OTHER action replay with ANY OTHER aircraft including the rest of PMDG's fleet which I own. I have tried other replay utilities and none of them make any difference. I would point out gentlemen that I am as bigger fan of PMDG as anyone on this forum, please don't think I'm bashing them, it's just they normally they respond very well to querks like this but sadly not on this occasion. :( If anyone else has any thoughts I would be very grateful.Good flying and best regards gentlemenMalcolm Hancock (Rooster)

Malcolm: Thanks for not blaming FS Replay performance on PMDG or any other add-on. This function is strictly a MSFS feature with absolutely no hooks for a developer to influence (in my limited knowledge). However, I do believe I have observed default aircraft displaying the same limitations with the replay as add-ons. Pretty sure of that in fact. Regardless, it is strictly a FS-ism.

Hi DanThank you for your input, It's appreciated. You will note I did not start this thread, however, this is a subject I raised before with no definitive answer.In that thread someone mentioned that for the first time part of the MD11 was made outside the model and within FS and this helped with frame rates. He questioned whether this could be relevant to the problem. I have no idea about this, I'm a bit long in the tooth and not very tech minded, but I wondered if you could confirm this or not and if you had any thoughts on the subject.Best regards and many thanks DanMalcolm Hancock (Rooster)

Malcolm, I'm just guessing here but based on what I've read in discussions on autopilot implementation and the sim in general I don't think that having code running in a DLL instead of the default autopilot has anything to do with this thread. Just my guess. I personnally find the replay feature in MSFS something of limited utility and don't have many thoughts on the subject.

Quit blaming PMDG for the shortcomings of MICROSOFT'S fs recorder functions.It happens with ALL replays,i.e.This has been known for years.Make the recordings with something like FRAPS during the flight if you want authentic lookingvideos.Ron :(
It seems you misunderstood my post. I wasn't blaming PMDG at all! The product is awesome. I was just stating I didn't want PMDG to screw with the current logic just for a replay feature that doesn't always work for all complex add ons. Most add ons have this problem as others have said. So, of course, you should use fraps or another outside utility to replay flights. Some developers have messed with the logic of spoilers and other items and it created problems for normal flight ops.
Thank you for your replies Chris and Ron. Couple of points though, Chris, I would agree its all for fun but its also different things to different people. I fly in the real world (light stuff) and I like to revue what I've done and be critical so I can improve my flight skills. As such I like an accurate replay in external mode. I'm sure you can respect that. :( Malcolm Hancock (Rooster)
I totally do the same thing. I like to see it to critic how it looked from an outside view as well because the internal view gives such a different perspective. The only thing is, replay in FS is buggy, so you do need to use FRAPs or a similar app to accomplish this with all add ons. It isn't just the MD that has this issue.

Why does the LDS 767 show correct wing flex, spoilers, flaps, reverser during the replay but the MD11 not? Also, I think the VC/2D cockpit is "dead" during replay (though I'd have to double check after work).Surely you can detect if sim is doing replay and configure flex/spoilers/flaps/reverser correctly?

Why does the LDS 767 show correct wing flex, spoilers, flaps, reverser during the replay but the MD11 not? Also, I think the VC/2D cockpit is "dead" during replay (though I'd have to double check after work).Surely you can detect if sim is doing replay and configure flex/spoilers/flaps/reverser correctly?
Most likely Level-D used the MSFS code to animate those things, whereas PMDG seems to design their own code to accomplish certain things. We all know the PMDG code for the autopilot is different, as default AP is awful. I don't program, so I don't really know, but a bunch of add ons have trouble with replay. Some replay sounds like crazy, others don't show animation. It's just the way it was made.IIRC, the MD works okay from the panel view. I know the airspeed and various other items appear to work fine.

Yeah the basic issue here is that we aren't using FS default code functions for things - thus MSFS does not even "know" about most of the things that are happening when you do X Y or Z in the MD-11, it's all done in external code. Since the replay function only records the things FS knows about, it can't "play back" a lot of things that happen with our plane. As others have suggested, if you want to make movies and such, FRAPS is the way to do that...

hi Malcolm how are you? this is Rafael, I'm the one who actually started this topic. Have you had any luck in finding a work-around this issue? I downloaded Fraps today and the only thing I could figure out was to playback my landings in FS Recorder, manually deploy the spoilers then use fraps to record the whole thing. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck!thanksRafael

Hi RafaelNice of you to check in, I am well thank you. I too downloaded FRAPS as suggested in the thread, however, I found that I just don't get on with it, for me it's a bit too much mucking about for what I am trying to achieve. So now I have resigned myself to not having strobes/beacons in action replay, although I can still operate the spoilers manually of course. At least I now have confirmation that I'm not going crazy or that its my setup and that the MD11 has been built differently to other PMDG aircraft which would seem to be the reason and I quote."Yeah the basic issue here is that we aren't using FS default code functions for things - thus MSFS does not even "know" about most of the things that are happening when you do X Y or Z in the MD-11, it's all done in external code. Since the replay function only records the things FS knows about, it can't "play back" a lot of things that happen with our plane. As others have suggested, if you want to make movies and such, FRAPS is the way to do that..."I would still say that despite my disappointment regarding this problem, I still believe ALL PMDG aircraft to be the best in my hangar. :( Best regards and good flying RafaelMalcolm Hancock (Rooster)

Hi Malcolm yes I agree, PMDG definitely makes the best add-ons I've seen. I'm doing my best to try to ignore this spoiler issue which really isn't that big a deal. I've just been so used to watching my playbacks in great detail for years... :) I'm hoping someone somewhere can figure out a way around it. Anyway, quick question: do you know if there is a way to disconnect that lo-speed protection function that engages the throttle anytime you get too close to minimum speed? I know how to disconnect it but it re-engages every time my speed drops too low. I would like to be able to do manual landings without worrying about the auto throttle correcting me all the time. Any suggestions? Thanks Rafael

The way I re live a flight with FSX and PMDG.Recording new flight:Start a new flightGet the aircraft trimmed for take off -including all the flight data.Save the flightStart FS recorder and hit the record entryEnd FS recorder and save recorded data -file name should match that of saved flight for easy recall.Replay:Start MSFSLoad saved flightBring up FS Recorder and load the matching flight using the play buttonNote:You'll still have to manually input certain control surfaces and gear, but you'll get the Que from the recorded data on when these movements took place during the origina flight. It takes time to get familiar with the ability and capacity of FS Recorder, but invest a lil time and you'll get what you want out of it.