Sign in to follow this  
bogbrain

Clean Install

I have installed Windows 7 as a "clean install" on my C Drive. I have FSX installed on another drive but am unable to access it. I did take a copy of the FSX files before installing Windows 7. Any suggestions as I obviously do not want to do a complete re-install when I have everything already installed on another drive.

Guest ziporama
I have installed Windows 7 as a "clean install" on my C Drive. I have FSX installed on another drive but am unable to access it. I did take a copy of the FSX files before installing Windows 7. Any suggestions as I obviously do not want to do a complete re-install when I have everything already installed on another drive.
A clean install will remove all software installation and registry entries from the operating system's settings so please clarify what you mean by "I have installed on another drive". Did you copy the FSX files or did you run the FSX setup program on top of the clean install?If you have copied, in effect, it's the same as never having installed FSX. Copying files or referencing the folder will not work correctly. This is first because not all files are in the actual folder (there are some support and dependency libraries installed in the O/S folders), and then, the necessary registration and licensing entries will not exist in the clean install hive as that is only completed by a setup program. You can't even run a repair because the setup files needed for that won't be found by the setup program and it will conclude (rightfully) that the software is not currently installed.

You might as well wait until Oct 22nd when the retail version is released. You will only have to wipe the RC and start again. Just like the rest of us.

Not a problem really. Just re-install fsx (with sp1 and/or sp2) depending on the previous version installed. Just do the simple install. activate it & Run fsx.run flight1 regedit for the flight path and modify it accordingly (to your other drive). Run FSX.Done it many times, works all the times. Just make sure you install is the same as your previous install in terms of Service Packs.Pierre

Pierre

Not a problem really. Just re-install fsx (with sp1 and/or sp2) depending on the previous version installed. Just do the simple install. activate it & Run fsx.run flight1 regedit for the flight path and modify it accordingly (to your other drive). Run FSX.Done it many times, works all the times. Just make sure you install is the same as your previous install in terms of Service Packs.Pierre
Pierre, could you explain more specifically the process of modifying the registry? when you say "flight path" what do you mean?Would the same procedure work for fs2004? Does this mean that I would not have to reinstall EVERY add on that I have?Lots of questions, I know.

Do yourself a favour and save yourself some time in the long run, do not try to get that old install working properly again, reinstall it all from scratch. Whatever you do you will not get it all working perfectly again, certainly not optimally anyway. Been there done that and wrote the bloody manual. And do please run FSX and load a flight at least once between each install, so that would be once after initial install then again after SP1 before installing SP2, if you use Acceleration rather than SP2 then you can install it after the initial install of FSX and miss out SP1/2 as long as you loaded a flight first.

Cheers, Andy.

Pierre, could you explain more specifically the process of modifying the registry? when you say "flight path" what do you mean?Use the Flight1 FSX-FS2004 Registry repair. Available from their site.Would the same procedure work for fs2004?Easier for FS2004. Just update the FS9 path Does this mean that I would not have to reinstall EVERY add on that I have?Try each one.Lots of questions, I know.
It is the NEXT best thing to a complete re-install.Pierre

Pierre