Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Why so few FS9 purchases lately?

So here are my thoughts for the day. Please feel free to comment as you like, just no personal attacks please!Just some food for conversation on the FS9 sales discussion this is not an FS9 V FSX conversation!I hear a lot of talk lately about how FS9 releases are not selling at a pace that warrants the continued development of FS9 products. Thank goodness for those developers who have not left us yet but even that number seems to be dwindling rapidly and to some degree I challenge the validity of the numbers behind it. Not the numbers themselves but the reasoning behind them. I put the owness on the developers, not us. Here is my .25 as to why developers haven't seen as much of my $$$ lately. This is just me speaking for me personally, not trying to speak for others but I will also very dangerously make some assumptions.I have spent a ridiculous amount of $$ on FS9 add-ons over the years. To that end my level of satisfaction with my current FS setup is immense. I look at what I have spent, the products I own, how satisfied I am with them and weigh that against the products I still want and know I will use whenever I make a purchase. For me personally, a lot of the latter FS9 releases (nothing against the releases at all, some of them are phenomenal!) have not fit into that last category of products I really want and will use often... It does not mean that I have stopped using FS9 or that I do not want to purchase, it just means I have so much I love that anything new that is going to get me to bust out my wallet has to be really special. While I would love to purchase EVERY FS9 release that comes out to show my support I am not in a financial position to do so. Here are some examples of my philosophy. I like to use FS to re-create the real life flights I do for work and pleasure. I primarily fly Boeing because of my real life proximity to KEWR and the fact I usually fly with CO but I fly other carriers as well and do appreciate other AC I fly on. (the ERJ or the 340-600 for example) So I love the PMDG 737 series for re-creating my NG flights but it is dated AND I WOULD BUY A V2 IN A HEARTBEATThe Feelthere 737 is pretty good for any of my -300 or -500 flightsThe PMDG 747 is a must have for my VS flightsThe new ERJ V2 is entering my Hangar ASAP, I put a ton of miles on V1 and this is a prime example of an upgrade that I am willing to pay for...I used the Airbus V2 for my other VS flights on the 340-600 but alas no love on my 64 bit OS so she is in the hangarThe 757 and 777 line are lacking my my opinion and of course a lot of us are hoping for the advanced version of the AirSimmer busses...But for years I have heard people BEGGING for a HIGH END 340-600 or a 777 or the LVL-D 757 for FS9 and of course the entire airbus line and yet nothing. (Advanced Versions) So from my perspective the lack of support for the latest FS9 releases has nothing to do with me not buying FS9 add-ons anymore or me being an FSX simmer it is because I have not wanted the latest releases... When REX is released I bet it will sell very well as it is something that appeals to the vast majority of FS9'ers out there. Same with EGCC, and PHNL, I bet they sell very well because of their mass appeal to the FS9 user base.With all of that rambling being said I guess my point is I don't think I am an isolated user here. I believe that the "right" add-ons for FS9 can still sell like hotcakes, they just need to be the right products... I don't feel the latest releases are what all current FS9 sales should be based on. I hate to bring PMDG into this as an example as the MD-11 is a remarkable sim. The work they did with the MD is on another level in FS9 but I would bet if the NG was released prior to the MD for both sims the FS9 version would have sold at a completely different rate to the MD in FS9 because of the FS9 users desire for a new 737 over the MD. I hope that makes sense but my point is that the lack of my FS9 purchases lately is because I have become far more discerning in what I spend my money on. It doesn't mean I believe everything released for FSX should be released in FS9, I do believe that is a losing endeavour for the developers but with that being said I also believe the right products certainly should be... (again, just my opinion)We are still here, we want to buy, we are just so happy with our FS9 installations today that to really gauge the viability of FS9 sales you need to gauge it on a product you know FS9 users have "wanted" for years, not products that would not have been top sellers to begin with. (regardless of their warrant to be or not) I am just talking how they would sell, not how good they are...Ok, ramble done, off my soapbox now, flame retardant suit is on, have fun :(Sorry for the ramble, I needed the distraction from an otherwise dismal day...-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I'm ready to swith to FSX, but I need a good kickass for myself. I believe that such kickass would be something like PMDG NGX or LDS 757 with "FSX only" tag.I love FS2004, I still use it on daily basis, I have also invested several thousands dollars in add-ons over the years, but it's time to move forfward, gents.

it's time to move forfward, gents.
Dimitriy, For many of us (including me) switching to FSX is not a step forward.It's rather a parallel alternative. With all the top addons for FS9 there really are not many differences.Except for the fact there are way many more things to add to FS9.And responding to Paul's question called in the topic, I am still supporting FS9 addons with my wallet.But I have so many of them that, just like you, I need really good motivation to buy something.I agree PMDG 737NGv2 would definitely be something like this.And some (top quality) airports no-one has created so far (ZBAA, WSSS, VTBS, YSSY, NZAA, PANC, EKCH and some more).REX has virtually dropped from the sky (for me) and I'd add it to this list.As for Aerosoft, I do sympathise with them, take part in their discussions and buy a lot at their shop.But I have my own distant view of their views. They keep telling us FS9 sales are very poor. At the same time AES is their top seller (and it was before it became an FSX also product only recently).That shows that giving the FS9 community an excellent and universal addon means a very good cash.

I'm ready to swith to FSX, but I need a good kickass for myself. I believe that such kickass would be something like PMDG NGX or LDS 757 with "FSX only" tag.I love FS2004, I still use it on daily basis, I have also invested several thousands dollars in add-ons over the years, but it's time to move forfward, gents.
To be honest, despite everything I wrote above I don't entirely disagree with you. My issue is that there are still alot of add-ons that FS9 does have that FSX doesn't. Until I feel I am not giving anything up to "move forward" it is really tough to take the plunge though. I don't disagree with you though but again, this is not an FS9 v FSX conversation, merely discussing the lack of FS9 recent sales.-PRAFAL hit the nail on the head, I am still here supporting it just has to be something special we really want... Not saying everything in FSX should be released in FS9 but certain ones would sell well with a lot of support still here for them..

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I will again repeat what I've said in the JS41 thread - you cannot expect to release a niche product into a saturated market (FS9) and expect it to sell well. FS9 is not a case of "if you build it they will come", since most things have already been built and if a niche product comes out, most people will just look at their hangar/scenery list, do a cost/benefit, shrug and go back to flying whatever they were flying. There are thousands of posts in many a forum that clearly indicate what the FS9 (and X!) userbase want the most in terms of sceneries or aircraft, if the devs want to their own thing, that's well within their rights, but using that as an argument that there no longer is a market for a given product - that is most unfair.Either way, I could be completely wrong in my appraisal, but can't prove anyone otherwise unless there are products up for sale.

I will again repeat what I've said in the JS41 thread - you cannot expect to release a niche product into a saturated market (FS9) and expect it to sell well. FS9 is not a case of "if you build it they will come", since most things have already been built and if a niche product comes out, most people will just look at their hangar/scenery list, do a cost/benefit, shrug and go back to flying whatever they were flying. There are thousands of posts in many a forum that clearly indicate what the FS9 (and X!) userbase want the most in terms of sceneries or aircraft, if the devs want to their own thing, that's well within their rights, but using that as an argument that there no longer is a market for a given product - that is most unfair.Either way, I could be completely wrong in my appraisal, but can't prove anyone otherwise unless there are products up for sale.
I think you're right. Even if there had been a JS41 for fs9 I'd have passed - just not interested in the airplane. A new 737NG on the other hand - different story!Same for any number of other types of products - just because I have a particular airplane or scenery does not mean I'll pass on a newer better one of the same thing from the same or different developer. Who would have thought that fs9 sceneries of years ago could look like FSDT or Simwings sceneries of today? Same fs9, better products. I do understand that devs want to use the latest and greatest graphics, sound etc platform available though, so I can't blame them for moving to fsx. But especially in terms of high end airliners, imho fs9 is still strong enough to warrant attention.

Regards,

Mark

All good points. Nevertheless, FS9 only guys will need to observe how many of their [most wanted] aircraft are released to market for FS9 over the coming 12 months or so to have a reasonably accurate view of where FS9 commercial development is headed.Not suggesting doom and gloom, just a realistic look at where things seem to be headed. :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

But doesn't this perspective give developers even less reason to bother developing for FS9? What I largely hear people saying is that all they want to buy is the PMDG 737 and a maybe few new sceneries. The fact is that not every developer is PMDG and not every plane developed can (thankfully) be a Boeing 7x7. If I were a developer other than PMDG or that didn't want to develop 7x7's , my take-away point from this would be that FSX development is the way to go, as they are quite happy to buy "niche" products. The impression I get is that the J41, which is most definitely a niche product and is FSX only, is selling just fine.
I think someone has finnally got it. I am a FS9 user who knows the future of my sim. I am missing a very good 737 and a few more sceneries. To all other developers good luck on making anything for FS9 because if it is not EXCELLENT the FS9 users may not buy. PMDG and others make your own marketing decision. We WILL buy the 737V2 for sure but for others its your call.Carl Perry 7 year sim pilot

From my perspective I am still missing a Top level 777, A LVL-D 757 (yeah, I know CS) the entire line of Airbus from the 320 to the 340-600, I really want the 737 V2 and yeah a few more sceneries but that still leaves quite a few projects that I wager I am not the only one who would for over cash for. But don't judge all FS9 sales on the last few niche releases.I think Mackintosh summarized my point succinctly:you cannot expect to release a niche product into a saturated market (FS9) and expect it to sell well. FS9 is not a case of "if you build it they will come", since most things have already been built and if a niche product comes out, most people will just look at their hangar/scenery list, do a cost/benefit, shrug and go back to flying whatever they were flying. There are thousands of posts in many a forum that clearly indicate what the FS9 (and X!) userbase want the most in terms of sceneries or aircraft, if the devs want to their own thing, that's well within their rights, but using that as an argument that there no longer is a market for a given product - that is most unfair.All good points though guys,-P

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

My reasons are mostly as stated by other above. For one, a lot of products don't appeal to me. I don't feel I can master a boatload of complex aircraft so I must chose wisely, and since I'm spoiled by the Level-D/PMDG/Dreamfleet realism, I don't get excited by much. We've had a bunch of low and slow single-engine props over the years for FS9, but I just can't get too thrilled with going 120 knots at 7000' for very long. Those aircraft get just as boring as people think the complex heavies do. My preference is for high flying turbos, usually twins, and of course jets. Well, the high flying twin market has been poor IMO. The few we've had came with awful GPS capabilities, and if I can't use the RXP Garmin 430 or 530, then I have no interest. The jets have been mostly long-range except the 737NG, but as other have said, it is dated now. I'm glad PMDG made the MD-11 since it is my favorite long-haul jet and I wanted a good once before they even announced it. I just hope they fix the few minor bugs because it really is a perfect aircraft. I do have trouble with long flights though, so I understand that comment from "Feather". I can't handle cruise for more than 2 hours or so and refuse to speed the sim up. I have to look for all the short 1 to 2 hour flights, and it's hard now that the MD-11 is phasing out. I have trouble even finding 747 flight that are short though.All in all, my lack of purchases will continue to decline though no matter what. We're in a recession and I just started a nursing program that'll be in full swing by July. I won't have time starting in July to even play on the computer, let alone the sim. That puts any ideas of building up FSX with add ons like I have with FS9 out to pasture. What little time I might have with FS9 will be it, few and far between, so I don't expect FSX to ever become anything for me. By the time I finish school and stabilize at a job, the main app probably won't be FSX or FS9 at all.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

So what I get from this thread... unless you're making unique scenery... or heavy iron (and still rather select ones)... don't bother with FS9... there's no interest.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I'm glad PMDG made the MD-11 since it is my favorite long-haul jet and I wanted a good once before they even announced it. I just hope they fix the few minor bugs because it really is a perfect aircraft. I do have trouble with long flights though, so I understand that comment from "Feather". I can't handle cruise for more than 2 hours or so and refuse to speed the sim up. I have to look for all the short 1 to 2 hour flights, and it's hard now that the MD-11 is phasing out. I have trouble even finding 747 flight that are short though.
I flew a Sabena livery FS9 PMDG MD-11 from EDDF to LFPG yesterday. How's that for unrealistic? I couldn't care less, I enjoyed it - basically playing with my toy aircraft on my PC. I have yet to be arrested by either the FS police nor the real police. Why do we have to fly realistic routes with the right equipment/liveries, etc? Though no offence to those who want to, I just don't understand why people 'have to'.On a more controversial note though, I'm not that bothered about a B737 for FS9 (I already own the LDS767 and PMDG 747), but would pay for a decent A320. Apart from that, I'd buy a decent EPWA, but to be honest, that'll do me.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)