Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Finally, the real thing!

After many years of being involved with our FS version, I finally flew on a real 737NG last night from KSFO to KPHX. I've had NG flights scheduled three times in the past (including the outbound leg of this trip) but SWA switched all three out for an old analog 300. Finally worked out this time though!Wasn't that much different from the 300s and 500s I've been on a million times aside from that huge winglet. The engine noise seemed like it had a bit more of a low frequency rumble component to it, but that could have just been where I was sitting. Here's a pic sitting at Gate 31 just prior to pushback.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Dangit! I thought this was going to be a picture of the PMDG 737! LOL Cool eitherway! Nice picture.Taylor Oldham

Congrats Ryan !!My only time on a NG was in september 2006 (of course Ryanair... :( ...) from EIDW to LPPR. And yes, those winglets are amazing.Only once on a "Classic" 737-500 (Aer Lingus EIDW-LEMD in 2003, when their fleet wasn't all Airbus).And many times on "Jurassics" 737-200 (British, Tap AirPortugal and Aer Lingus).

My KPHX-KHOU flight earlier this month was a SWA 737-700 with winglets, and I sat on the trailing edge of the right wing. Yes, the low frequency rumble from the engines sounds very powerful and smooth. I was suprised when the flaps went from zero to landing (25 or 30 I'm not sure) in one movement on our base to KHOU 04. Enjoyed the flight very much.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yeah SWA has a penchant for coming in fast and high, I think it might actually be SOP as part of their cost saving methods. Both approaches on my trip were that way - use of spoilers, flaps out to landing config very quickly etc...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Southwest Pilots got paid bonuses for being ontime and more bonuses for being early. Thier Sallaries are less than other majors flying the same type, but they make up for it with the schedule bonuses.The Burbank High and Fast overun into the Chevron Station put some pressure on SW in regards to thier paying policies. Not sure if it is still in effect.I have always noticed that the SW 73's taxied like they were late for work....JB

Nice pic Ryan!. The only time I can remember being on an NG was when I flew from PHL-MDW-LGA this summer. I've probably been on them before, but back when I thought all airplanes were the same :( The joke among WN pilots is that SWA stands for Seldom Wants Active, referring to their preference for the closest runway. If The procedures I have are correct, normal flap schedule for a visual is go flaps 5 on downwind, 15, gear down prior to base, landing flaps on base, then rollout on 2.5-3 mile final.

Joe Sherrill

That flap schedule makes sense, but what I observed on a VMC ILS was gear and flaps all out at once and this was on the HOU ILS04 which always gives you lots of room when arriving on the LISSE from over SAT as we were. We were not on a short final either, ceiling was about 400 but that's hard to guess from a window seat in back.

Dan Downs KCRP

WestJet flies only 737NGs- last I heard they had 70+ of these fully instrumented birds (700/8/9s- most with winglets) to get in when the competition (Air Canada) can't. WJ's original operating strategy was patterned on SW. It's been my experience that their approaches are fast and straight in for a very quick turn around- sometimes as short as 20 minutes. Ever see your Captain in the cabin cleaning up litter, while a flight attendant runs a carpet sweeper up the aisle? Employee stock ownership works wonders when your airline is consistently profitable.!Alex Reid

I have flowen on 73ngs more than any airliner. Virgin Blue flys a fleet of about 60 jets and Qantas has a large fleet. All my flights where on VB though.I love th cockpit layout of the 73 and cant wait to get my hands on the NGX.In the meant time I will feed my hunger by watching the World Air Routes Virgin blue dvd.(Mostly on 400s :( ) My favorite airliner is virgin blue 737-700 VH-VBA Because i have flowen in it (Melbourne-Gold coast), The only airliner cockpit ive been in and its featured on the dvd. (on the cover and first three videos.)My overall Fav Aircraft type would have to be 757, Havent flowen on one yet,And i learn to fly in a skyfox Gazelle which absolutly love. But cant wait untill im in the left seat of a 737ng :(Tim Smith

Guest EXAir

Living in Canada, I mostly fly WestJet. As Alex said, they only fly the NGs so I have never been on a 737 other than a NG. Tim, if you want a World Air Routes DVD with only the NG, take a look at the WestJet 737-600 and WestJet 737-700.

Lol. The 700 one has an 800 on the front.Thank for the suggestion, i will check them out.Tim Smith

My overall Fav Aircraft type would have to be 757, Havent flowen on one yet,
Same here, the 757 is my favorite aircraft to fly on.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Your lucky in the USA with nearly all he majors useing the 757 as the backbone of their fleets.In aus we have none in airline service :( Ryan, I think you would like this. At the Avalon airshow last year (2009) the RNZAF (Royal New Zealand AirForce) brought one of their two 757 VIP transporters over and it did the most spectacular flying display ive ever seen. In about 2000feet of runway it went nearly vertical into the sky :( and in a matter of seconds dissapeard into the clouds! Heres a link-

(That was not the day I was there, When I went the clouds were lower and there was a strong headwind, The aircraft was airborne just before that taxiway that you can see) Then the B-1 bomber took off in about 1000 feet :( and deafend everyone, they are so loud.Tim Smith