Sign in to follow this  
steve_1979

Is it safe to turn my virus checher off when using FSX?

Hello,Is it safe to turn my virus checker off while using FSX?
Depends - if you are DIRECTLY connected through your DSL line and NOT through a gateway or modem, then YES. However, most DSL or Cable connections go through a home gateway which acts as a hardware firewall so you would be ABSOLUTELY safe in turning it off.There is a lot of paranoid misinformation flying around but if you are behond a hardware router, they can not get to you while in FSX. PeriodIn a direct connect through a MODEM, not the case - then you are wide open.And just FYI, the majority of virus attacks nowadays are not "pushed" TO the user but downloaded BY the user by clicking on a malicious link or going to a malicious web page. So turn it off and don't worry about it.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi,I wouldn't even think about turning off any antivirus/firewall programs if I was still connected to the internet. If I didn't need the internet while using FSX (non-network setup) I would go so far as to turn off the router before disabling my firewall/antivirus software. A bit over the top, well maybe...But I'd have peace of mind.I use online weather updates so turning off these programs and my router is not an option for me, I do the next best thing, I run my flightsim via network with no firewall/antivirus on my flightsim computer and run both of these programs on my main computer. My flightsim computer is not directly connected to the internet, I'm not running any antivirus/firewall programs on my flightsim computer and both of my systems are still protected. I also don't have to worry about constant system config changes if I'm on or offline.
Mike - If I understand you correctly, you are not as safe as you think - actually you are but not for the reason you mention. You are connected to a network that is connected to a computer that is connected to the internet. *IF* a badguy could get through your router to the 'local' computer, it coulod then EASILY get to your networked computer.Actually you'd be just as safe running FS on the 'local' system. However, it's YOUR system and YOUR peace of mind - last thing we need is nervous, edgy pilots flying around the friendly skies!! :)Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I tried to let Active Sky download the current weather conditions then once it has done this I could disconect from the internet and turned off the virus checker. This worked fine for the first 15mins, but then FSX minimised and I jumped back to the desktop because ASA had popped up a message saying that it was "going to run in offline mode because there is no internet connection." Unfortunatly FSX always crashes on my PC when ever it tries to minimise.Is there any way to get ASA to download the current weather conditions and then run in offline mode once it has done that?

Guest sanman

I always disable my antivirus when i use FSX, never had a problem. As long as your internet access comes through a modem/router (with firewall) i think you are ok.Regardless of how "light" your virus checker is you will get a boost in framerates. For me, with Avast, it is fewer stutters and a few more FPS.

On my FSX PC I don't run firewall or AV software.Never had any troubles ever with regards to not running the software.

I tried to let Active Sky download the current weather conditions then once it has done this I could disconect from the internet and turned off the virus checker. This worked fine for the first 15mins, but then FSX minimised and I jumped back to the desktop because ASA had popped up a message saying that it was "going to run in offline mode because there is no internet connection." Unfortunatly FSX always crashes on my PC when ever it tries to minimise.Is there any way to get ASA to download the current weather conditions and then run in offline mode once it has done that?
Not at my FSX system right now but you can load ASA, let it get the weather for your airport and then UNCHECK automatic download. It will then use the weather you downloaded. AS far as FSX crashing when minimized - I believe it's under the general options but if not look for it in options but UNCHECK "Pause on task switch" and that should stop the minimizing.If you are behind a router or gateway - just leave ASA running and your AV off.

I use AVAST and exclude the FSX, RC and ASE program and data directories from on-demand scanning. Has definately helped get rid of some of the stutters .. ..G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I used to use Avast Free version which was good, but had annoying pop ups every time it updated. I now just use Microsoft Security Essentials which is also free and has a very light footprint. Haven't detected a virus in a long time though. Like others have said, if your OS is up to date and you use the internet wisely you will rarely if ever have a problem.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Only if you are completely cut off or blocked from the Internet. If you are still connected...I'd advise not to.
Yup same for me. I always turn it off when in FSX and in my case I'm never on the internet when in FSX. Howard

I think so, if you uncheck "Automatic Downloads" restart ASA then select a "Historical" weather time it will download that weather save it and will use that weather until you download another historical time (even if you restart ASA) . One caveat I use ASE not ASA but I think the options are the same.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

What I've started doing now is starting ASA and letting it automatically download the current weather, then I turn off automatic updates and click 'apply and save'. Once I've done this I disconect from the internet and turn off the virus checker. Then I continue using ASA, Xgraphics and FSX as I would normally.When I've finnished using FSX and closed it down I turn automatic updates back on before closing ASA. Then I turn the virus checker back on and reconnect to the internet.This seems to be working perfectly now. I'm not sure if it gives much of a frame rate improvement be as they say 'every little helps'.

Hi, I've been running an unprotected, dedicated flight sim PC for over a year and haven't had any problems to date. Although I don't run any protection at all except for the MS built-in firewall and a router, I'm amazed at how quickly my system boots, and how smoothly FSX, IL-2 1946, and Falcon 4.0 AF run. There are some definate performance benefits. However, I never surf the web nor do I use for email.Most of the time I have the network disconnected vie the network connections icon. When I run Active Sky, Radar Contact, or Touchbuddy, I do so thru another networked PC that is running Norton Security. So when the client PC down loads the weather, it gets checked by Norton before the Active Sky crunches the raw weather data before sending updates to the FSX machine over the network. I do play on line with IL-2 1946, and I do have to update XP with updates from Microsoft, so in these cases I do have to go "on-line." As far as downloads, airplanes and scenery, I download to the protected PC and then transfer the files via a memory stick.So far, so good.......Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

my FS computer does not have anti-virus. the only on-line connection it ever does is for FS weather.the computer is fine, as has been so for 2+ years.i do not surf the www with my FS computer. i go so far as to download any addon, SP, etc. on my 'internet' computer, scan the file, and then 'sneaker-net' the file to my FS computer by jump-drive, CD or DVD.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/