Sign in to follow this  
McCrash

Anyone using a GTX 480 with FSX (sp2)?

The only bad thing, is that I had to get a GIGABYTE GTX 480... and not the SuperClocked eVGA one... I spent nearly the ENTIRE day refreshing newegg... (last night, I sucesfully completed an order on MWAVE.com but they called me to say the card was not available anymore) so, you can imagine the frustration...
Dont worry, you'll be able to overclock it yourself way above the SuperClocked speed.
So, finally got it from newegg, ordered UPS next day, should be here tomorrow at 2:00PM (thats when the UPS guy comes to my condo) so expect some results at around 6:00PM :)
Looking forward to it :) I didnt have any time for me last night to test the tweak on the GTX470, business is incredibly busy these times. Hopefully I'll be able to test it tonight too.cheers!

Dont worry, you'll be able to overclock it yourself way above the SuperClocked speed.Looking forward to it :) I didnt have any time for me last night to test the tweak on the GTX470, business is incredibly busy these times. Hopefully I'll be able to test it tonight too.cheers!
Anyone think it will be possible to run the 4012x4012 (?) REX clouds with the GTX 480, and have smooth frames?

Hello all!I just had some time to test ******* tweak with the GTX 470. Not sure I used a scenery that was complex enough, but anyways here are the first test results.Flight description: Kai Tak runway 13 approach, from IAF to gate. Night time. Flight time 13 minutes approx.Weather: broken at 6000.Scenery used: Fly Tampa Kai TakPlane used: PMDG 747-400Other addon: REX clouds at 4096x4096 DXT5FSX settings (summary) : DX10 mode, bloom on, water 2.x low, very dense scenery complexity, autogen dense, frame rate unlimited.Video drivers used: 197.41I used fraps to measure, min, max and average frame rate. I did the flight twice, once with an unmodified FSX.CFG and another time with the two modifications ******* gave me in this thread. I also forced vsync to off in nVidia control panel.unmodified FSX.CFGMin FPS: 23Max FPS: 75Average FPS: 35FSX.CFG With tweaksMin FPS: 25Max FPS: 74Average FPS: 36Both flights were awesome to fly. Great performance and not one stutter in both. Really smooth. From what I read here, I was expecting more difference. Maybe I should try with another scenery location, JFK for example.what do you think? comments? suggestions?cheers!MarcEDIT: I could not help but do a few external views during the approach, that explain the "high" max FPS. While in the virtual cockpit, the FPS were always right around average FPS without any jumping up or down.

Guest AvioPyric

Great shiloh DX10 on mode get 25 min FPS is fantastic . But why not different between CFG files.and you can tell me what FPS in this setting with old Card.I need to know what FPS in Ground scenery shadow ON.Thank

Shliloh, can you compare your tests (modified and unmodified fsx.cfg again) but using DX9? you should notice a difference!!

My ZOTAC GTX480 will arrive on monday. :( I will make a review with DX9. As for the other Specs see my sig.

I tested the same flights twice again in DX9. All others parameters were the same except bloom that was turned off.I'm puzzled by the results. Not much difference in the numbers also while flying I could not notice any difference myself. Unmodified FSX.CFGMin FPS: 14Max FPS: 63Average FPS: 40BP=0 FSX.CFGMin FPS: 17Max FPS: 63Average FPS: 42I did some flying around KSEA all sliders maxed out with both config and could not see any performance difference too.Anyways, the sim feel so much better with the 470 compared to the GTX275 so I guess tweaking is less of an issue now.cheersMarc

Guest UlfB
I tested the same flights twice again in DX9. All others parameters were the same except bloom that was turned off.I'm puzzled by the results. Not much difference in the numbers also while flying I could not notice any difference myself. Unmodified FSX.CFGMin FPS: 14Max FPS: 63Average FPS: 40BP=0 FSX.CFGMin FPS: 17Max FPS: 63Average FPS: 42I did some flying around KSEA all sliders maxed out with both config and could not see any performance difference too.Anyways, the sim feel so much better with the 470 compared to the GTX275 so I guess tweaking is less of an issue now.cheersMarc
Marc,Youv'e just discovered the holy grail. Default fsx.cfg will give most FSX users the best general tweak. Just add the HIGHMEMFIX=1 and follow this guide to get good IQ and a smooth flight:http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

Hello all!I just had some time to test ******* tweak with the GTX 470. Not sure I used a scenery that was complex enough, but anyways here are the first test results.Flight description: Kai Tak runway 13 approach, from IAF to gate. Night time. Flight time 13 minutes approx.Weather: broken at 6000.Scenery used: Fly Tampa Kai TakPlane used: PMDG 747-400Other addon: REX clouds at 4096x4096 DXT5FSX settings (summary) : DX10 mode, bloom on, water 2.x low, very dense scenery complexity, autogen dense, frame rate unlimited.Video drivers used: 197.41I used fraps to measure, min, max and average frame rate. I did the flight twice, once with an unmodified FSX.CFG and another time with the two modifications ******* gave me in this thread. I also forced vsync to off in nVidia control panel.unmodified FSX.CFGMin FPS: 23Max FPS: 75Average FPS: 35FSX.CFG With tweaksMin FPS: 25Max FPS: 74Average FPS: 36Both flights were awesome to fly. Great performance and not one stutter in both. Really smooth. From what I read here, I was expecting more difference. Maybe I should try with another scenery location, JFK for example.what do you think? comments? suggestions?cheers!MarcEDIT: I could not help but do a few external views during the approach, that explain the "high" max FPS. While in the virtual cockpit, the FPS were always right around average FPS without any jumping up or down.
Did you use Ground scenery casts shadows ?

Just wondering how well this card runs FSX. How hot and how loud is this card? Thanks.
I'm still waiting on my Crucial SSD for FSX, however I have installed a PNY GTX 480 and tested it with FS9. As for the temperatures on the card, I was expecting to have a hot box, but am very happy with it so far. It idles at 45C (fan on auto 44%) When running FS9 with everything maxed out, fan on auto(it spooled up to 55%) I hit a max temp of 72C. I set the fan manually to 60% and my temps were around 65C. My old EVGA 285GTX classified would idle at 52C and would run FS9 at 62C with fan on auto.What I'm really surprised about is how quiet the stock fan is compared to the EVGA one. At idle 44% it is barely audible. At 60% it blends in with the rest of my case fans and is hardly noticeable. I'm using EVGA Precision to monitor temps and adjust fan speed. I'm really looking forward to see how it performs when I install FSX on the new SSD later this week. Other info, while web browsing and watching vids on you tube temps stay in the mid 40'sMy machine is an AMD Phenom 965 BE @3.4, MSI 790FX GD-70 8GB Corsair DDR3@ 1600, 9-9-9-24. Windows 7 64bit.

Well for what it's worth I have been using Nvidia's cards for years now as it has been a well know fact that they were better for FSX. However you do need to use NHancer to get the best out of them..FACT! I have recently installed the Saphire "Vapor" edition of the 5870 and without any software tweaks the results are breathtaking. I am running FSX from a Crucial SSD on a 30" panel with all settings on full with a Intel 920 cpu overclocked to 4 GHz with a corsair HD50 cooler and everything is silky smooth with an excellent picture quality everywhere. I have countless add-ons installed both scenery and aircraft and of course the major "enhancers" such as GTX,UTX,REX etc:- A bonus being my system is near silent and temperatures have just "dropped" because of the excellent cooler on the card. I would recommend this card to anyone and to wait for the next versions of the Nvidia cards as the current gen are just not worth the upgrade.

bobgrain - I'm glad you're happy with your new card but let's set a few things straight:1) Your proclamation that current generation NV cards are "not worth the upgrade" is premature, to say the least. We have limited results from one GTX 470 user which show that it is a great card for FSX. Based on that alone your proclamation is false. When we also factor in that this isn't even the top-end GTX 480, it's clear that the GTX 4xx series cards are going to be fantastic cards for FSX. 2) It is not a "fact" that you must use Nhancer to get the most out of an NV card for FSX, the NV control panel alone is enough for most users.3) Your ATi card has inferior texture filtering which produces "swimming" textures. This is an algorithm inside ATi's driver, and not something that can be overcome by the use of different graphical settings or "tweaking" programs. In other words: it's not a problem that can be corrected unless ATi re-writes their driver.

I believe the pricing on the 470 and 480 are way to high!!! And some resellers are pushing prices above the manufacturer's recommend price.

Well for what it's worth I have been using Nvidia's cards for years now as it has been a well know fact that they were better for FSX. However you do need to use NHancer to get the best out of them..FACT! I have recently installed the Saphire "Vapor" edition of the 5870 and without any software tweaks the results are breathtaking. I am running FSX from a Crucial SSD on a 30" panel with all settings on full with a Intel 920 cpu overclocked to 4 GHz with a corsair HD50 cooler and everything is silky smooth with an excellent picture quality everywhere. I have countless add-ons installed both scenery and aircraft and of course the major "enhancers" such as GTX,UTX,REX etc:- A bonus being my system is near silent and temperatures have just "dropped" because of the excellent cooler on the card. I would recommend this card to anyone and to wait for the next versions of the Nvidia cards as the current gen are just not worth the upgrade.
Do you have all sliders maxed and ground scenery shadows, bloom, lens flare, and AF and AA? Or you have only all sliders maxed out. It is important for me to know. Thanks

I have all sliders on ful.l AI at 95% AA x4 and AF x16 picture is perfect no tearing or shimmering and the clouds and water are just brilliant using ASA with REX.Cannot praise this card enough.With regard to the Nvidia 480 read the reviews and you will see that all agree that an "upgrade" now is not a good idea for lots of reasons and the next gen will bring many improvements, it certainly will not improve anything for FSX as it is!