Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Volcanic ash troubles.

Guest UlfB

Yes. All flights over Sweden will be prohibited this afternoon (local time), so I guess a lot of European Flight Simmers will be grounded.

Living as close as I do to Manchester Airport (EGCC) it's been strange with empty skies all day. First time this has happened in aviation history. The sun sets in about an hour so I'll be watching for a spectacular sunset.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest UlfB

It's a little scary. The last time that vulcano had an eruption was in 1821 and that eruption lasted for a full year. What experts fear is that the nearby vulcana Katla will have an eruption as well. The distance between these two vulcanos is only 2 000m and Katla is a much bigger vulcano. :(

Was kind of weird in Cheadle today with no aircraft on finals for Manchester.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Is the aviation park still open at EGCC? I'm glad I don't have any hols planned abroad this year.

Looking at the European skies on radar screens I feel like traveling way back in time!An interesting fact is the last time this volcano erupted it lasted almost two years*.emptyskies.jpg* EIDT: I noticed Ulf has mentioned that earlier.

just right now only about 200 a/c are shown in www.flightradar24.com!!! Worldwide - can that be true???

Worldwide - can that be true?
No, fortunately the world is not THAT affected. :( This is rather a problem with the radar itself and its data flow. In the last days it is extremely overlaoded and recieves a lot of errors.

ok then, 80% of europe is grounded, right?! Still Local Asia flights are unaffected and of couse all of USA und America is unaffected. Still, every connection between europe with asia and USA/South america is down. That will go on and on, as long as the vulcano is so heavyly active - could go on for years!That will bring down economy in Europe, especialy in Germany very much!

Guest UlfB
That will go on and on, as long as the vulcano is so heavyly active - could go on for years!
Could be. But the worst scenario is that the Katla vulcano, located only 2km away from Eyjafjallajokull, will have an eruption and Katla have a much bigger magma chamber. That would be a disaster for airtraffic in Europe if the clouds of ashes blow south east.
That will bring down economy in Europe, especialy in Germany very much!
I'd recommend you to invest in Asian shipbuilding industry. The industry will adopt. That's the easy part if we have several years of vulcanic eruptions from both Eyjafjallajokull and Katla.The climate will suffer a lot due to to ashes filtering out sunlight on the nothern hemisphere. Farming in the nothern parts of the globe will have problems. Not to mention the health problem for people and animals if cloud ashes will fall down near the vulcano. :( Airtraffic is not a major problem if we would end up with both Katla and Eyjafjallajokull being active for several years.Let's hope that the Eyjafjallajokull eruption ceases and that Katla remains inactive :(

Was it not volcanic eruptions which spelt the end of the dinosaurs?Bugger, just when I got my flight sim running perfectly!