Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Volcanic ash troubles.

Guest UlfB
Was it not volcanic eruptions which spelt the end of the dinosaurs?Bugger, just when I got my flight sim running perfectly!
Yes. Vulcanos have changed life on earth several times in the past and there is nothing saying it won't happen again. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. So enjoy your life and don't waste time tweaking FSX :(

Yeah, it's incredible. Just listened to Frankfurt EDDF ATIS and it's definately the first, probably the last time I hear them use the term "volcanic ash" in their transmission. Most German airport websites show major flight cancellations big time. What a chaos! :(

Just to add a bit of perspective- in 1883, the volcanic island of Krakatoa blew up (in the Sunda Strait, between Java & Sumatra). This blast is estimated at 13,000 times the nuclear yield of "Little Boy" atomic bomb which devastated Hiroshima.The tsunami from Krakatoa was detected in Europe and dust from the blast circulated around the earth causing spectacular sunsets for a couple of years.The Iceland volcano has a considerable distance to go- yet!Alex Reid

Guest UlfB
Just to add a bit of perspective- in 1883, the volcanic island of Krakatoa blew up (in the Sunda Strait, between Java & Sumatra). This blast is estimated at 13,000 times the nuclear yield of "Little Boy" atomic bomb which devastated Hiroshima.The tsunami from Krakatoa was detected in Europe and dust from the blast circulated around the earth causing spectacular sunsets for a couple of years.The Iceland volcano has a considerable distance to go- yet!Alex Reid
That was in the southern hemisphere. Not that much impact in the northern hemisphere. Any big and long lasting eruption within the nothern hemisphere will not cause that impact in the southern hemisphere. That't how it works due to the equator and weather system. So lets hope that the Katla vulcano remains sleeping :(

Even Sofia Airport in Bulgaria was closed today. Although I suspect that its more to do with the fact that all flights to western and central Europe are canceled rather than the Volcanic Ash dust cloud having gone that far yet.

I hope so to. Here in Serbia, from "Nikola Tesla" airport, they said that there is no need to close it right now, but i'm affraid they will close it on sunday. Half of the flights are canceled...

If the winds don't change it looks as though Europe will be closed even to UFO's for the foreseeable future!!!!The current forecast suggests that the pressure system will remain in place at least until mid week!!vololiberista

I noticed during a walk today that some cars now have a small amount of dust on them. Almost certainly from Mt Unpronounceable!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Serbia and Montenegro airspace, and south part of Adriatic sea, which is controlled by SMATSA is also closed today at 16:00 local time.

Hi RayLong time no see. Hope that you are well.<< I noticed during a walk today that some cars now have a small amount of dust on them. Almost certainly from Mt Unpronounceable ! >>Yep. Here too. My description of THAT mountain is also 'Unpronounceable'. My family and I were due to fly out to Gran Canaria for a villa holiday tomorrow Monday. We have lost the holiday, and

I also suspect that NATS has overreacted. I see that the Netherlands and Germany have flown test flights and found no effect on the aircraft. What a mess.
But they did so below 10.000 feet and flying VFR.

Hi RayLong time no see. Hope that you are well.<< I noticed during a walk today that some cars now have a small amount of dust on them. Almost certainly from Mt Unpronounceable ! >>Yep. Here too. My description of THAT mountain is also 'Unpronounceable'. My family and I were due to fly out to Gran Canaria for a villa holiday tomorrow Monday. We have lost the holiday, and

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

But they did so below 10.000 feet and flying VFR.
"The Netherlands' KLM said one of its planes, a Boeing 737, had reached its maximum operating altitude of about 13km in the skies over the Netherlands, and there had been no problems during the flight.The aircraft and its engines were being inspected for possible damage. After the results of that technical inspection the airline hopes to get permission from the aviation authorities to start up operations again.Germany's Lufthansa said it had flown several planes to Frankfurt from Munich."All airplanes have been inspected on arrival in Frankfurt but there was no damage to the cockpit windows or fuselage and no impact on the engines," a spokesman said. " :(