Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Bojote's Shader 3.0 mod for FSX

I had the same problem. The water was moving at warp speed. I ended up creating my own version of the ShadersHLSL using most of the new 1.6 files but any of the files that mention "water" in the "terrain" sub-folder were replaced with those from the original ShadersHLSL folder. I'm probably missing out on most of the shader 3 mods but at least it's workable. I'll continue to experiment, though.
That's fine. YOu are not missing anything because they are also Shader 3. The new 1.6 version changes ONLY the Water20.fxh. If simply removes the grids and makes the water darker at night.

That's excellent news! I'll play around with the files and see if I can find the one responsible for the "warp speed"... ;)

Alexander Alonso

That's excellent news! I'll play around with the files and see if I can find the one responsible for the "warp speed"... ;)
The best way to make sure you have everything up to date:Uninstall whatever you have now (The shader mod of course).Install the new 1.6 version (see my sig)after installation is complete update the waterconstants.xml value as described two posts above this to adjust the water speed, but see first the speed at which it is at before doing so!

Hi, still not getting my point across I guess.

The best way to make sure you have everything up to date:Uninstall whatever you have now (The shader mod of course).Install the new 1.6 version (see my sig)after installation is complete update the waterconstants.xml value as described two posts above this to adjust the water speed, but see first the speed at which it is at before doing so!
That's what I'm doing and the point I'm trying to make. There are no wave / water animations with 1.6 installed (with your xml file). After I uninstall everything (shader mod) the animations come back. I'm assuming that when the shader mod is uninstalled FSX is using the original WaterConstants.xml. As soon as I install your shader mod and FSX uses your xml file the animations are gone and it doesn't matter what values I use in the xml file there's never any animation, and yes I do flush the cache after every edit.Now, if I use the shader mod (1.6) and the "original" xml file from FSX, I get water animation, but at warp speed, that I can edit out to suit. What difference is there between your xml file and the original, that is a benefit to the shader mod. Is the xml file only used for setting parameters? If so, then I can continue to use the original xml file with your shader mod and edit to suit, without loosing shader mod benefits?I guess the question is, why are there no animations with your new shader mod using the auto installer. This is on a fresh install of FSX with all service packs.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I, too had the high-speed wave motion. I just swapped my old wc file back in it's place.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I guess the question is, why are there no animations with your new shader mod using the auto installer. This is on a fresh install of FSX with all service packs.
Glen, the answer is: Because they were slowed down considerably! 1) the NEW waterconstants.xml is slowing down the animations so much that they seem static or non existent.2) If you use the ORIGINAL waterconstants.xml file, animations go to warp speed because it lacks an IMPORTANT value to 'slow down' the animations.I've asked you to modify the NEW waterconstants.xml file to speed up the animation speed a little bit. It seems to me, based on what I'm reading that NO MATTER what values you use, animations are still not there. Correct? yet, you tell me that if you use the OLD waterconstants.xml file animations move at warp speed.Take a look at these videos:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W2cJYSRdg4http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpgV4HYiB2cI changed: <fTimeScale2>-0.006</fTimeScale2> to <fTimeScale2>-0.206</fTimeScale2>to make the water move faster.Is it possible you don't see any animations because of the reduced whitecaps? have you tried doing your tests in a condition similar to the one shown above using 'reflections' as a reference?

Hi *******,Sorry to be such a pain, just want to make sure I have things correct.Tried what you suggested (first uninstalled the mod, then reinstalled), set the TimeScale to -0.206, flushed the cache, and guess what, animation. It's very slow, kind of like it, but will tweak a bit. I was doing exactly as suggested, other than I wasn't using nearly as high a value, my mistake. Now have to do something with the SpecularBoost (I'm guessing), I don't have sunglasses strong enough to handle that much glare. Thanks so much for helping me out.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Hi *******,Sorry to be such a pain, just want to make sure I have things correct.Thanks so much for helping me out.Glen
No problem.. one of the 'features' of the latest version is the fact that pretty much every option can be tweaked in the WaterConstants.xml file. You can try -0.250 or -0.300 and see if you like it. Personally, I hate it because I fly a lot around the Miami beach and Key west area with my brother and you DONT see the water move as a river with strong currents. I guess it's a matter of personal preference.For the next Shader mod version I'm trying to make the wind feature work so water moves depending on wind speed and direction.

Hey Bojote,I appreciate your work really much and your great knowledge about the FSX and its structures. :)I recently noticed something in my FSX about the sun reflections - they are completely different in my FSX, look at that:http://img827.images...uebitmap2j.jpg/It seems that the scale of the wave animations is incorrect, doesn't it? However, it looks strange to me and I really don't know how long it looks like that because usually I do not cross oceans or huge lakes (or in most cases I am overflying them at night ;)). I recently installed 1.6 of your modification and changed my REX theme. Can REX change the wave animations? I tried the original waterconstant.xml and 1.6 waterconstant.xml, only changing the wave speed according to your last posts.So may I ask you what I have to change to make it look normal; as shown in your videos?

So may I ask you what I have to change to make it look normal; as shown in your videos?
The reflections you saw in the above videos are a 'default' install of my Shader 3 mod (version 1.6)The screenshot you sent is Shader 2 -OR- Shader 3 with an original/old Waterconstants.xml file.

Thank you for answering so quick. I tried it again with the waterconstant.xml from your 1.6 package. Of course I flushed the cache after replacing the file and restarted the FSX. but it still looks like this:neuebitmap2r.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you for answering so quick. I tried it again with the waterconstant.xml from your 1.6 package. Of course I flushed the cache after replacing the file and restarted the FSX. but it still looks like this:
And you did a full install of the Shader 3 mod correct? is that DX9 or DX10? have you tried setting the water slider one notch before the max setting?Is that Princess Juliana? can you try other location?

The slider is on 2.0 max, using DX9. For the installation I used the exe-file. And it does not matter where I am, Cuba, Denmark in the middle of the atlantic. The reflections look alike.

No problem.. one of the 'features' of the latest version is the fact that pretty much every option can be tweaked in the WaterConstants.xml file. You can try -0.250 or -0.300 and see if you like it. Personally, I hate it because I fly a lot around the Miami beach and Key west area with my brother and you DONT see the water move as a river with strong currents. I guess it's a matter of personal preference.For the next Shader mod version I'm trying to make the wind feature work so water moves depending on wind speed and direction.
Hi Bojote, I think that even though the "movement" may not be too realistic, it provides the impression of the ocean waves moving, flowing, cresting, etc. When paired up with the REX2 "Sparkling" setting, the wave action (sparkles) look fantastic to me and really provide a sense of a "living sea", if that makes any sense.By the way, does the REX2 "wave animation" setting change the WaterConstants file? If not, how does it work?And your next Shader mod version sounds amazing!!!Thanks for all your work. Truly appreciated!

Alexander Alonso

Hi *******,Sorry to be such a pain, just want to make sure I have things correct.Tried what you suggested (first uninstalled the mod, then reinstalled), set the TimeScale to -0.206, flushed the cache, and guess what, animation. It's very slow, kind of like it, but will tweak a bit. I was doing exactly as suggested, other than I wasn't using nearly as high a value, my mistake. Now have to do something with the SpecularBoost (I'm guessing), I don't have sunglasses strong enough to handle that much glare. Thanks so much for helping me out.Glen
I've been experimenting with the WaterConstants file and came up with a satisfactory (to me) look to the water. Here it is. (give it a try and don't forget to back up your current one and to flush the cache.) Almost forgot to mention that I'm using REX2 and the "Sparkling" water animation. Not sure how it will look without REX2 or with a different water animation.<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><SimBase.Document Type="WaterConstantFile" version="1,0"><Descr>AceXML Document</Descr><WaterConsts.ConstantSets><ConstantSet><Shader20><fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.275</fWaveFresnelFactorMin><fWaveFresnelFactorMax>0.388</fWaveFresnelFactorMax><fSpecularPower>53.384</fSpecularPower><fSpecularBoost>1.520</fSpecularBoost><fSpecularBlend>0.605</fSpecularBlend><fWaveBumpUVScale>9.500</fWaveBumpUVScale><fWaterBumpRotation>45.000</fWaterBumpRotation><fTimeX1>-0.728</fTimeX1><fTimeY1>0.312</fTimeY1><fTimeX2>-0.798</fTimeX2><fTimeY2>0.935</fTimeY2><fTimeScale2>-0.003</fTimeScale2></Shader20><Shader30></Shader30><Wave></Wave><Shader40WaterClassSet><Shader40><fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMin><fWaveFresnelFactorMax>1.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMax><fSpecularPower>53.384</fSpecularPower><fSpecularBoost>1.005</fSpecularBoost><fSpecularBlend>0.605</fSpecularBlend><fWhiteCapPower>0.844</fWhiteCapPower><fWaveBumpUVScale1>3.847</fWaveBumpUVScale1><fWaveBumpUVScale2>3.563</fWaveBumpUVScale2><fWaveBumpUVScale3>1.822</fWaveBumpUVScale3><fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>4.217</fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail><fWaterBumpRotation1>141.516</fWaterBumpRotation1><fWaterBumpRotation2>331.488</fWaterBumpRotation2><fWaterBumpRotation3>62.388</fWaterBumpRotation3><fWaterBumpBlend1>0.757</fWaterBumpBlend1><fWaterBumpBlend2>0.751</fWaterBumpBlend2><fWaterBumpBlend3>0.567</fWaterBumpBlend3><fWaterBumpBlendDetail>0.616</fWaterBumpBlendDetail><fWaterBumpWind3>0.599</fWaterBumpWind3><fWaterBumpWindDetail>0.497</fWaterBumpWindDetail><fTimeX1>-1.283</fTimeX1><fTimeX2>-1.423</fTimeX2><fTimeX3>1.074</fTimeX3><fTimeXDetail>-2.882</fTimeXDetail><fTimeY1>1.004</fTimeY1><fTimeY2>1.838</fTimeY2><fTimeY3>-0.036</fTimeY3><fTimeYDetail>2.740</fTimeYDetail></Shader40></Shader40WaterClassSet></ConstantSet><ConstantSet><Elevation>MID</Elevation><Shader20><fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.200</fWaveFresnelFactorMin><fWaveFresnelFactorMax>0.400</fWaveFresnelFactorMax><fSpecularPower>69.513</fSpecularPower><fSpecularBoost>1.510</fSpecularBoost><fSpecularBlend>0.619</fSpecularBlend><fWaveBumpUVScale>8.500</fWaveBumpUVScale><fWaterBumpRotation>90.000</fWaterBumpRotation><fTimeX1>-0.728</fTimeX1><fTimeY1>0.312</fTimeY1><fTimeX2>-0.798</fTimeX2><fTimeY2>0.935</fTimeY2><fTimeScale2>-0.003</fTimeScale2></Shader20><Shader30></Shader30><Wave></Wave><Shader40WaterClassSet><Shader40><fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMin><fWaveFresnelFactorMax>1.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMax><fSpecularPower>69.513</fSpecularPower><fSpecularBoost>1.004</fSpecularBoost><fSpecularBlend>0.719</fSpecularBlend><fWhiteCapPower>0.838</fWhiteCapPower><fWaveBumpUVScale1>2.405</fWaveBumpUVScale1><fWaveBumpUVScale2>2.405</fWaveBumpUVScale2><fWaveBumpUVScale3>1.352</fWaveBumpUVScale3><fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>16.527</fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail><fWaterBumpRotation1>141.516</fWaterBumpRotation1><fWaterBumpRotation2>330.804</fWaterBumpRotation2><fWaterBumpRotation3>62.388</fWaterBumpRotation3><fWaterBumpRotationDetail>156.024</fWaterBumpRotationDetail><fWaterBumpBlend1>0.751</fWaterBumpBlend1><fWaterBumpBlend2>0.746</fWaterBumpBlend2><fWaterBumpBlend3>0.723</fWaterBumpBlend3><fWaterBumpBlendDetail>0.000</fWaterBumpBlendDetail><fWaterBumpWind3>0.595</fWaterBumpWind3><fWaterBumpWindDetail>0.000</fWaterBumpWindDetail><fTimeX1>-0.869</fTimeX1><fTimeX2>-1.006</fTimeX2><fTimeX3>0.727</fTimeX3><fTimeXDetail>0.659</fTimeXDetail><fTimeY1>0.727</fTimeY1><fTimeY2>1.214</fTimeY2><fTimeY3>-0.036</fTimeY3><fTimeYDetail>-2.185</fTimeYDetail></Shader40></Shader40WaterClassSet></ConstantSet><ConstantSet><Elevation>HIGH</Elevation><Shader20><fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.200</fWaveFresnelFactorMin><fWaveFresnelFactorMax>0.400</fWaveFresnelFactorMax><fSpecularPower>69.513</fSpecularPower><fSpecularBoost>1.515</fSpecularBoost><fSpecularBlend>0.619</fSpecularBlend><fWaveBumpUVScale>7.500</fWaveBumpUVScale><fWaterBumpRotation>45.000</fWaterBumpRotation><fTimeX1>-0.728</fTimeX1><fTimeY1>0.312</fTimeY1><fTimeX2>-0.798</fTimeX2><fTimeY2>0.935</fTimeY2><fTimeScale2>-0.002</fTimeScale2></Shader20><Shader30></Shader30><Wave></Wave><Shader40WaterClassSet><Shader40><fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMin><fWaveFresnelFactorMax>1.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMax><fSpecularPower>69.513</fSpecularPower><fSpecularBoost>1.004</fSpecularBoost><fSpecularBlend>0.719</fSpecularBlend><fWhiteCapPower>0.844</fWhiteCapPower><fWaveBumpUVScale1>1.248</fWaveBumpUVScale1><fWaveBumpUVScale2>1.248</fWaveBumpUVScale2><fWaveBumpUVScale3>0.674</fWaveBumpUVScale3><fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>0.100</fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail><fWaterBumpRotation1>141.516</fWaterBumpRotation1><fWaterBumpRotation2>328.752</fWaterBumpRotation2><fWaterBumpRotation3>62.388</fWaterBumpRotation3><fWaterBumpRotationDetail>0.000</fWaterBumpRotationDetail><fWaterBumpBlend1>0.746</fWaterBumpBlend1><fWaterBumpBlend2>0.746</fWaterBumpBlend2><fWaterBumpBlend3>0.682</fWaterBumpBlend3><fWaterBumpBlendDetail>0.000</fWaterBumpBlendDetail><fWaterBumpWind3>0.595</fWaterBumpWind3><fWaterBumpWindDetail>0.023</fWaterBumpWindDetail><fTimeX1>-0.728</fTimeX1><fTimeX2>-0.798</fTimeX2><fTimeX3>0.589</fTimeX3><fTimeXDetail>-1.000</fTimeXDetail><fTimeY1>0.312</fTimeY1><fTimeY2>0.935</fTimeY2><fTimeY3>-0.036</fTimeY3><fTimeYDetail>1.000</fTimeYDetail></Shader40></Shader40WaterClassSet></ConstantSet></WaterConsts.ConstantSets></SimBase.Document>

Alexander Alonso