Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Bojote's Shader 3.0 mod for FSX

I agree that any Transparency SS is a killer with water shader 2 or 3 and clouds for that matter.jja
Well that explains some cloud issues! Thnaks......but those poles, how else to AA them things? I hate seeing them flash, really bothers me for some reason

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Well that explains some cloud issues! Thnaks......but those poles, how else to AA them things? I hate seeing them flash, really bothers me for some reason
I'm using 8sQ combined with multisampling. Seems to do a good job.Hey Bojote - Thanks for the Shader 3.0 update! Did you do anything to rework the clouds? They sure are looking good now.Thanks again.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I'm using 8sQ combined with multisampling. Seems to do a good job.Hey Bojote - Thanks for the Shader 3.0 update! Did you do anything to rework the clouds? They sure are looking good now.Thanks again.jja
I just did some simple code cleaning, added some comments and changed the water to finally remove those annoying grids.Aditionally, changed some of the WaterConstants.xml values to make the water pitch black at night (water looks too bright in FSX at night)Glad you enjoy the update :)

Hi *******,I installed the shaders a couple of days ago on an i7 rig with a 6870.Running 4x Supersampling AAAll is good until I go to any area with a large amount of water.. It stutters like mad, any ideas? as its good when over land :)

Chris Warner

PMDG : JS4100, MD-11, 737 NGX (Soon!)

Hello *******,Does the latest update improve the top down fog issue or is this a permanent side effect of using the improved shaders.Thanks

Hello *******,Does the latest update improve the top down fog issue or is this a permanent side effect of using the improved shaders.Thanks
No, it does not. However, I fixed that long time ago already in my 'testing' environment. The fog density constant requires a lower value when using Shader 3, the 'problem' with this is the far away terrain and horizon, they just look weird and reminds me of the FS2004 hard horizon.If I find a better away I'll definitely include it for the next version

Hi *******,I installed the shaders a couple of days ago on an i7 rig with a 6870.Running 4x Supersampling AAAll is good until I go to any area with a large amount of water.. It stutters like mad, any ideas? as its good when over land :)
Some users DO have a problem with the water, unfortunately I have not been able to replicate this. It can be a setting of combination of settings. I've seen both nVidia and ATI users report it. it could be the 'transparency' AA setting but no users have reported any change when playing with the settings.

Hello *******,As another poster already mentioned, I do not have any animation with this latest version as well. Uninstall it, use the original WaterConstant.xml and all is fine, animation back. Reinstall this version, no animation. Changing the values for fTimeScale2 makes no difference. I even set fTimeScale2 to the same as the original WaterConstant.xml file, still no animation. The fSpecularBoost was way too much for my liking, edited that and it was fine, just no go with the animations. This is on a brand new install of FSX as I just built an i7 2600k with a Radeon 6970. Never knew FSX could look this good, really is quite amazing. Just need to sort out this water animation. Any suggestions.p.s. I do flush the cache after every edit.Thanks Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

As another poster already mentioned, I do not have any animation with this latest version as well.
Have you tried the 1.6 version? the one that was published about three weeks ago? what is you use the NEW version with the original WaterConsntans.xml file, does it make any difference?

Hi,Just tried with the new version "1.6" still installed, and the FSX original WaterConstants.xml and there is animation, although it's way too fast. Looks like when you advance something in fast forward, water is rushing by. This was going over a small lake, maybe 2 miles long by 3/4's of a mile wide.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Hi,Just tried with the new version "1.6" still installed, and the FSX original WaterConstants.xml and there is animation, although it's way too fast. Looks like when you advance something in fast forward, water is rushing by. This was going over a small lake, maybe 2 miles long by 3/4's of a mile wide.Glen
Ok, NOW I understand. its water flowing speed what you are refering to. Not actual 'wave' animations.The speed can be tweaked using the values for the Speed variables, just like the read me says ;)Simply use value between the one in the NEW waterconstants.xml file and the old one until you are happy with the speed, and remember, that everytime you change the value in the waterconstants.xml file you need a cache flush.

Ok, I guess I'm a bit confused.The test I just did was not with the WaterConstant.xml that gets installed with your Shader Mod. I renamed yours and used the original one that comes with FSX? What is the point (benefit) of using the one that gets installed with the Shader Mod then? The one that get's installed from the auto installer does not give water animations, in other words the water is static unless I use the original xml file. Hope that makes sense.In other words, when I install shader mod version 1.6 on a fresh install of Fsx (with sp1 and 2) there is no water animation "waves". The only way to get water animation back is to use the original WaterConstant.xml file, not the one that gets installed with your installer.Glen

Glen
Glen, when you use Shader 3, the 'speed' at which the water 'moves' is increased, so the NEW waterconstants.xml file counters this by SLOWING DOWN the speed of the water so you don't see what appears a river flowing.This is from the NEW waterconstants.xml file:
                    <fTimeX1>-0.083</fTimeX1>                    <fTimeY1>0.024</fTimeY1>                    <fTimeX2>-0.023</fTimeX2>                    <fTimeY2>0.038</fTimeY2>                    <fTimeScale2>-0.006</fTimeScale2>

The fTimeScale2 value is like a multiplier. It defaults to -0.4 if the value is NOT present. Notice that I increased the value from -0.400 to -0.006 to slow down the speed of the water. The closer the value is to 0.000 the SLOWER it will move. Remember that there are 3 sections that need to be updated: LOW/MID/HIGHIf you want to see water flowing 'faster', simply change (in the NEW Waterconstants.xml) the value from -0.006 to something like -0.030, -0.080 or even -0.200 if you like it moving fast.Remember, each 'section' LOW/MID/HIGH corresponds to the properties that will be applied depending on altitude. LOW (the first one) is from 0 to 1500, MID goes from 1501 to 8000 and HIGH from 8001 and up. (not sure if its 8k or 10k)

I had the same problem. The water was moving at warp speed. I ended up creating my own version of the ShadersHLSL using most of the new 1.6 files but any of the files that mention "water" in the "terrain" sub-folder were replaced with those from the original ShadersHLSL folder. I'm probably missing out on most of the shader 3 mods but at least it's workable. I'll continue to experiment, though.

Alexander Alonso