Sign in to follow this  
bic

FS2004 and Landclass files

Hi allDoes anyone know: a) can you use fs2002 landclass files with Fs2004 and :( if you can, where do you install them. Is it just the fs2004/scenery folder as before?Thanks Lungs

Guest UweR

a) Yes, all files I have tried work (FSGenesis USLandClass, FSLandClass).:( You can either install them as before, or use a separate folder and add them to the scenery library.

Another quick question on the same subject...Do you miss out any new FS2004 scenry features if you use FS2002 landclass files? I was thinking about things like new textures, different landclass definitions etc.?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I don't know if every new FS2004 texture is showing up when you install landclass files (it would be too hard to keep track of), but I'm seeing many of them -- including the circular irrigated fields. So far I've installed both FSGenesis landclass and some of the German landclass by Frank Barth, and I'm extremely pleased with the results. The illusion of reality from 10,000 feet and above is incredible. Just based on terrain textures alone, I could never go back to FS2002.John

Do you think you require the landclass files such as FSLandclass in your FS2004? This is the first time I am installing a new version of Flightsimulator very carefully and step by step.I have not even flown an hour in the new thing since I bought it 5 days ago. I am adjusting the FSUIPC and WideFS applications configuring all config files and so on. This time step by step and monitoring the forums.I have a lot of landclass and texture addons such as FSLandclass and Terramesh from Lago. Have not had the guts yet to install them.

The default landclass in FS2004 seemed a bit more detailed (more towns) than in FS2002 in parts of the US. But some parts, such as Michigan north of the Detroit metro area, still looked unrealistically empty. In Europe southern Germany still seemed extremely sparse. So it's definitely worth installing any landclass you already have from FS2002. John

Also, terrain mesh bgl files have not presented a problem. I simply copied mine from the Scenery Addon folder in FS2K2 to the Scenery Addon folder in FS9.

Northern NJ looks pretty sad too, especially around Route 46, 80, 23 area by Willowbrook / KCDW airport.FSGenesis beta looks pretty good compared to 2k4.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060