Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

Nvidia releases revised Fermi 460 GTX in 2 versions

I looked at Fry's in Tempe earlier today, was gonna pick one up if they had it, they don't have them in yet though.
Frys? Very Expensive stuff there..don't even bother.....Best way to go: TigerDirect or NewEgg !Johnny

Guest morpheous
Check out this article.jja
Thanks for the link, but I was more interested in peoples experience with multimonitor setups that provide a more panaramic viewjim

Hi,Does anyone know if this card can be used in SLI to achieve Nvidia's "surround vision"? I have three 22" monitors and want them to work together to provide a more realistic cockpit view. I also have a 20" monitor I'd like to use for 2D views of instruments, maps, weather, etc.The choices I have are:1) Buy two GTX 460 cards and SLI them into one large screen (3 monitors) plus one 2d screen2) Buy 1 GTX 460 card and get a matrox triplehead2go and have one large screen (3 monitors) and one 2d screensor3) try to network a couple computers using WidevieW FS and create 1 view per computer (3 computers total)Any thoughts from multi-monitor FSX users out there before I spend some $ on this great hobby.My goal is to produce the most realistic flight sim experience I can at home.ThanksJim V.Vancouver
Jim,back in the FS9 times i tried all 3 options, ending up with one clear result: Option 2!1) SLI did not support multi monitor setups 4-5 years ago, and even with only 1 monitor, did not improve FS performance.Don't know if SLI now supports multi monitor setups, but am still convinced that it brings no big performance improvement in FSX (if one at all)3) Works, but some drawbacks and: not required for what you'll try to achieve.Main issue: You'll have to maintain different FS installations and keep them synced with all sceneries et all. Yo'll also need multiple licenses for concurrent use of multiple installations of FS and Add-On products.2) I'd recommend Option 2 !! It's flawless, it works. You'll be happy. I am since a couple of years! The GTX460 with 1 GB is capable for such a resolution.Best Regards,Joerg

Joerg Alvermann
Win10 Pro 64Bit - i9-9900KS - GTX980Ti 6GB - 5760x1200

Jim,back in the FS9 times i tried all 3 options, ending up with one clear result: Option 2!1) SLI did not support multi monitor setups 4-5 years ago, and even with only 1 monitor, did not improve FS performance.Don't know if SLI now supports multi monitor setups, but am still convinced that it brings no big performance improvement in FSX (if one at all)3) Works, but some drawbacks and: not required for what you'll try to achieve.Main issue: You'll have to maintain different FS installations and keep them synced with all sceneries et all. Yo'll also need multiple licenses for concurrent use of multiple installations of FS and Add-On products.2) I'd recommend Option 2 !! It's flawless, it works. You'll be happy. I am since a couple of years! The GTX460 with 1 GB is capable for such a resolution.Best Regards,Joerg
Thanks Joe for your response. Actually I was never a big fan of multiple monitors although nVidia's 3D surround sound interesting. Anyway I have a 47" HD LG screen that is the ticket and I sit about 4-5 feet back from it. 1 strong GPU is good enough although I never understood why FSX is so SLI agnostic.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Guest morpheous
Thank you for your comments, I have heard good things about the TH2Go product and will take another look, the thing is that the cost of a second GTX460 is actually cheaper then buying the TH2Go unit, and I can run three 22" (or larger) monitors in surround vision, where the TH2Go is limited to 1680x1050 (x3) max resolution. So something to think about.thanks againJim V

Anyone try OCing the card yet? From what I've read you can get some serious gains (800+ MHz on the core clock) with it, putting it at basically GTX470 level. I should have mine in the next two weeks I think.
not sure how good or bad is this42606562.png

I have mine at 880 Core and 1.08 Volts. Very nice card. Quiet and cool with great performance. I have the Gigabyte OC Model. Man what a sweet GPU! FSX really looks good at 8s (driver 258.96)jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

Guest veeray

Well I got my EVGA Superclocked 460 w/1gig running at 763mhz. Amazing card! way better than my old 8800GTS 512... well worth the price too.

Can BP=0 be used with FERMI cards? It is causing FSX to CTD when I try it with my GTX460. If I use BP=1 then things seem OK.TIAjja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

Can BP=0 be used with FERMI cards? It is causing FSX to CTD when I try it with my GTX460. If I use BP=1 then things seem OK.TIAjja
Works fine here :smile:

André

Some people have reported this issue,too; and seems to be solved with the new developer beta drivers from NVIDIA (259.31).http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_driver.htmlBest.Miquel.

Some people have reported this issue,too; and seems to be solved with the new developer beta drivers from NVIDIA (259.31).http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_driver.htmlBest.Miquel.
I got it working again by setting ForceFullScreenVSynch=1 back on with the 258.96 drivers. Still tweaking but getting really nice results with this card.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

Can I have 4 monitors with these two cards?I'd like to have three front view monitor and the 4th for a touch screen. Is that possible?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter