Sign in to follow this  
3-2-1-Now

Concorde vs. 747 - Sunday Aug. 29th @ 1200z

Aircraft Type  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you flying?

• 747-400
    • Concorde

Hi,On Sunday Aug. 29th at 1200z we are holding a Concorde vs. 747 race. It is based on the real-world event where Concorde flies two legs for the one leg of the 747-400.The idea is for Concorde to depart Boston Logan Intl., USA (KBOS) at the same moment as the first 747s depart Paris CDG (LFPG). Concorde will land at CDG, refuel, and make a second flight back to BOS.The aim is to get the 747 down before Concorde arrives back at BOS.IRL there was 7 minutes in it (Concorde arrived first).Real-world operations apply. All speed restrictions must be adhered to as per the published charts. There will be no magic "own speed" all the way to final for the 747. 250kts 10 nm before the mainland must be observed. Concorde will adhere to standard ops for its type.Flight plans will be posted shortly.Best regards,Robin.

Interesting. What about cruise, whats stopping the 747 pilot to be overspeeding the whole way until 250/10000? Or will the 747 be limited to a mach number?

Standard ops apply to the 747. If you deliberately try to fly at 500 kts indicated to beat Concorde, it kind of makes the whole thing pointless. ;)Wouldn't it be far better to beat Concorde fairly? I suggest a cruise speed of M0.82-M0.86 for the 747. Be sure to carry the necessary fuel, including contingency, reserve, etc..Best regards,Robin.

You dont need to suggest a Mach. Thats what we have FMC's on LRC or Cost Index 99 for! How's it being held, online, or do pilots post block times from the FMC?

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Interesting. What about cruise, whats stopping the 747 pilot to be overspeeding the whole way until 250/10000?
If you overspeed the aircraft, it will fall to pieces. Unless you turn that off in the realism settings, but who would ever do such a thing? :(

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Very cool idea guys!!! Only 7 minutes time difference in RL? wow, that fuel stop realy costs some time! Can't wait to see the results. Surley will be a testement to the real a/c numbers eh? :(

If you overspeed the aircraft, it will fall to pieces. Unless you turn that off in the realism settings, but who would ever do such a thing? :(
Umm... people that want to win, badly.Wouldn't be the first time. Thats why rules are needed.

Hi,Concorde stopped on the ground for an hour at CDG for fuel. Not sure what the on/off times were - will post when I have the info.We are planning to fly online using VATSIM, but it is not a requirement. Posting block times will be sufficient if you can't make it online.We are still determining a route to fly. Currently it looks like Concorde will fly a modified CDG-JFK routing to BOS, and likely a modified JFK-CDG routing on the outbound leg as well. There should be no real disadvantage as Boston is just down the road, and I think the two airports even share the same initial routings from the trans-atlantic side.Best regards,Robin.

I wonder if the load will be similar - like 100 passengers for Concorde and 400 for the 747 lol. Tis a good idea though.John Ellison

It's a great idea. I have a couple of questions with it.- Why not the opposite way with the B-747 from BOS to CDG ? You always have a lot of headwind flying West transatlantic because of the jetstream. Mach speed may be 0.85 but groundspeed can only be 425kts or less. In the opposite way the groundspeed can be 530kts or more.- Will this event be flown online and which network will be used, IVAO or Vatsim (or both) ?Just my thoughts.

Hi,Here is the real-world race:

On June 17th 1974, Concorde 02 took off from BOS to CDG at 0822 local time.In CDG, an AF Boeing 747 departed CDG for BOS at the same time (IIRC they were both lined up on the runway at the same time).Concorde 02 lands at CDG, uplifts fuel, and after a 48 minute stop takes off again back to BOS where it lands 7 minutes ahead of the AF B747.
I'll be flying on VATSIM as will the lead Concorde.Best regards,Robin.

This really does sound very cool. I will definately try to be a part of this. But after looking at the Concorde-X website, it seems this bird is pretty darn complicated and is not very similar to the types of planes I fly often, so buying it and getting up to speed where I feel comfortable flying it online by this weekend is highly unlikely. I will just fly the good old PMDG 747-400 and see if is up to the task of betting your mighty supersonic jet.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

You should make the 747 Taxi to the actual designated fuel area and back for an added challenge :wink:I hope someones going to make a video of this :)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier