Sign in to follow this  
1kris007

737's HUD in action

Very good video, but I'm missing two things:1.- After the "approaching minimums" call, we can hear "runway in sight". After the "minimums" call, shouldn't we hear "continue" or "landing"?, but nobody says anything.2.- Curious that such an important airport has no PAPI or VASI, well, I can not see them.
1. When the approaching minimums call out the made, the pilot flying says whether he has the runway in sight, or in the case of very low visibility he will call "lights only". im not sure why landing, or continue was not called out at minimums. Maybe the company does not require that callout to be made once the runway is in sight?2. Assuming that this is runway 25R or 25L, no they are not equipped with any form of PAPI or VASI. They are inaccurate once you are close to the ground in any case, and the runway is equipped with an ILS glide slope, so that can be used as well. Its not unusual to see a runway without PAPI or VASI.

If you have the runway in sight before minimums, why would you have to call out landing when you pass the actual DH? You have already established you have visual of the TDZ, at that point you really are not flying an instrument approach at that point. You can even tell ATC you have the runway in sight and get cleared for visual landing (but that would be a waste of comm space) EDIT: It looks to me in the video that the PF jumps the gun anticipating the vocal "Minimums" callout, and says it early. Since he is flying with the HUD, he has his altimeter right there in front of him, sort of makes the callouts less neccesary as without.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Has PMDG said yet if the HUD would be only available in 2D or if we will be able to use it from within the VC view? The recent feelthere EMB 175/195 release only allows a 2D view and the horizon HUD ref is totally off.
It's in the VC and it is optically collimated - this means that it maintains its orientation with respect to the horizon/runway etc even if you move your virtual head's position around in 3D space. It looks insanely cool with Track IR when you move your head - I think we're about to sell them a lot of new devices. Big%20Grin.gif(if you want to see what optical collimation looks like right now, buy the excellent Vertical Reality Simulations F/A-18 Superbug X - their HUD is amazing and has this effect as well)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

... Vertical Reality Simulations F/A-18 Superbug X - their HUD is amazing and has this effect as well)
Nice, you saved me some research and a possible post. Been thinking about getting a military bird for some carrier fun :)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

The VRS F-18 is definately an excellent bird. Bought that on release day. Just be sure you read the manual, it is pretty complex.. At least I know what is coming now with the 737's HUD.

It's in the VC and it is optically collimated - this means that it maintains its orientation with respect to the horizon/runway etc even if you move your virtual head's position around in 3D space. It looks insanely cool with Track IR when you move your head - I think we're about to sell them a lot of new devices. Big%20Grin.gif(if you want to see what optical collimation looks like right now, buy the excellent Vertical Reality Simulations F/A-18 Superbug X - their HUD is amazing and has this effect as well)
Alright, just to get the wording right, I surely have flown HUDs in full motion sims, but in FS the HUD gauges I have seen so far (Acceleration F-18...) seem simply to be attached to the combiner glass. Whereas in fact the HUD "image" should appear to be a significant distance farther away when you look through the combiner glass. It looks like it's really far away and thus huge in size, too. Furthermore since the HUD is calibrated to it's position the image will disappear or get cut off its edges really quick once you move your head away from its intended position. Is that what you mean by collimated, sorta? If you do, that's gonna be insanely cool for sure.Thanks for clarifying.sig.gif

Alright, just to get the wording right, I surely have flown HUDs in full motion sims, but in FS the HUD gauges I have seen so far (Acceleration F-18...) seem simply to be attached to the combiner glass. Whereas in fact the HUD "image" should appear to be a significant distance farther away when you look through the combiner glass. It looks like it's really far away and thus huge in size, too. Furthermore since the HUD is calibrated to it's position the image will disappear or get cut off its edges really quick once you move your head away from its intended position. Is that what you mean by collimated, sorta? If you do, that's gonna be insanely cool for sure.Thanks for clarifying.sig.gif
That's exactly what I mean - all of that stuff is simulated.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Yep Steve, all of us here wholeheartedly agree when people call VRS "The PMDG of military aircraft."
Perhaps in time they'll be calling PMDG the VRS of commercial aircraft? LOLOLOLOL!!! :(

That's exactly what I mean - all of that stuff is simulated.
Sounds great. Now to push this even further, is the HUD gauge indeed "placed" far away from your POV (i. e. not on the combiner glass) so it would appear to be really big and far distant even when looking thru nVidia 3d glasses? :(Big%20Grin.gif

The thoughts and simulations of HUD is so great you made it that way! It's a shame for all other add-on venders, they'll look so old-school when this bird hits the streets! ;)

Wow,thats some cool stuff right there....for sure worth the price of admission!

Eric 

(if you want to see what optical collimation looks like right now, buy the excellent Vertical Reality Simulations F/A-18 Superbug X - their HUD is amazing and has this effect as well)
Did they release an update that i wasn't aware of to fix the issue experienced by us TrackIR users? The HUD is a cool feature; however, it's been my experience that the HUD is seen from outside of the HUD glass when a TrackIR user moves head to left or Right. If I recall it had something to do with the weapons fire and smoke trails - kind of like a trade off. I could be wrong, they may have fixed it since the last time I have flown it.I'm truely excited about this feature, I had a couple chances to use the HUD in some SWA Training flight simulators. Its funny how something like this becomes available and we all instantly think zero visibility landings. It was a blast.It will be nice to have some guidance on the proper way to capture the CATIII system with the HUD, when I was in the simulator we got it to work, but it wasn't an easy process - chalk that up to inexperience with all parties in the sim at the time.

Did they release an update that i wasn't aware of to fix the issue experienced by us TrackIR users? The HUD is a cool feature; however, it's been my experience that the HUD is seen from outside of the HUD glass when a TrackIR user moves head to left or Right. If I recall it had something to do with the weapons fire and smoke trails - kind of like a trade off. I could be wrong, they may have fixed it since the last time I have flown it.I'm truely excited about this feature, I had a couple chances to use the HUD in some SWA Training flight simulators. Its funny how something like this becomes available and we all instantly think zero visibility landings. It was a blast.It will be nice to have some guidance on the proper way to capture the CATIII system with the HUD, when I was in the simulator we got it to work, but it wasn't an easy process - chalk that up to inexperience with all parties in the sim at the time.
I don't think VRS fixed that flaw in their HUD. While it's a tradeoff for them, it IS still there. Check out Aerosoft's HUD in their F-16. Now THAT HUD is done right! And it is my understanding that they have a patent on that HUD as they market it to the (foreign) military. It really looks and functions like the real thing, collimation, POV, everything! You MUST have TrackIR to make it shine. I too hope to see this level of sophistication in the PMDG B737 NGX HUD.Terry Swindle