Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

What does it take...

Related to this topic, I was thinking about buying one of the FS2Crew products. Either the J41 voice (or maybe buttons) or the MD-11 button. Any PIREPs on which one is better and adds to the PMDG experience? Issues with CTDs or other problems that people have? I'm leaning for the j41 since it seems to be an aircraft that really lends itself to an extra set of hands and its a shorter turn aircraft, but I'm just curious if anyone has experiences (especially bad ones) that they would consider worthy of mention.

Related to this topic, I was thinking about buying one of the FS2Crew products. Either the J41 voice (or maybe buttons) or the MD-11 button. Any PIREPs on which one is better and adds to the PMDG experience? Issues with CTDs or other problems that people have? I'm leaning for the j41 since it seems to be an aircraft that really lends itself to an extra set of hands and its a shorter turn aircraft, but I'm just curious if anyone has experiences (especially bad ones) that they would consider worthy of mention.
I got FS2Crew Button version for the PMDG 744, and Level 767, have the Voice Versions for the Leo Maddog, Level 767, and the PMDG Js41, and I cannot recommend them enough. Adds so much more to each flight, get the sense you are working together to get the flight done, more realistic workflows, checklists, I cant imagine flying with it anymore. I have never seen it CTD the sim in my many years of using it. When you buy a version, just read the manual a couple times so you get used to the SOPs that are being modeled (the JS4100 is pretty much the AOM to the extend it can be simmed properly). I have tripped up the Level D Voice one into a loop where the FO will no longer respond, but his issue has been fixed in a recent patch, and I was still able to finish the flight on my own. A big +1 for FS2Crew, and the Voice Commander versions add so much realism to the flight, I really cant recommend FS2Crew enough.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

I had a bad experience with it once. It was when I bought it and was opening the box. I got a rather nasty paper cut from the cardboard box it was shipped in :wink:Seriously though, I have the 747 button one that I use and may buy the JS41 voice next without hesitation. I have asked this before, but is there going to be an MD-11 voice commander version? I don't use it for the MD-11 but has 0 to do with the product and wish I could. Perhaps after my next complete reinstall I'll fix my bugs that keep me from using it. The MD-11 uses most of the available windows that FSX uses, and since my last install I have an issue with being at my max window. I never had this problem in the past but then again I'm running more addons then before too.So another +1 for it. My issue is hopefully rare, but figured I would mention it.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Thanks, guys. Scott, especially for your detailed experience with it. Dan, I read in the Fs2Crew forum that there will not be a voice version for the MD-11 because there's no SDK for it. At least, that's what's Bryan said in response to that question. Ok, looks like a buy when I get a few free hours.

Ahh, thanks for the info too Doug. I haven't had the need to go their forum, so I guess that in itself is something worth noting :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Flying to just the payware airports is really limiting, you have to expand your horizons even if it means default airports.
I fully understand those who do not limit their choice of airports to ones with detailed add-on scenery available. Those rare times when I don't fly online I often seek up new airports, not least because it's fun to see what airliners fly there. But when I fly on VATSIM my main priority is on maximazing the amount of ATC and usually it's the bigger airports that have the best coverage, and the bigger airports are also often covered by add-on sceneries. I probably have 25-30 payware or of payware quality sceneries scattered over US and even much more over Europe, so I really don't feel limited because I stick to detailed airports.I have to add though, since I started using an iPad and an app that gives instant access to all charts over the US, I've gotten more inclined to fly to new airports! I always fly with charts, I just feel plain naked and helpless without them :D It's a pita to print out charts all the time and old ones get outdated, and while I can put them on my laptop it takes up a lot of estate. But with charts now easily available at no cost, it does seem more tempting to try out new airports. As long as there is a center atc controlling that area, it as least to some extent caters for my atc needs! 'nuf rambling on my part now!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Wow...I'm not even close to you guys.With work/home/family responsibilities I really don't have the kind of time needed to do all of that, or long periods of cruise flight. Not criticizing anybody else, just 'is what it is'. Not to mention my hardware tends to crap out at the worst possible time. Instead I do a lot of practice landing approaches etc. to keep my hand-flying skills sharp...or at least not as dull. I'm fairly passable with the PMDG 1900C & 747s, Better with a 757 that I have, and probably best now with a payware DC-3 from a certain museum in the Mid-Atlantic region :) I am committed to realism from the standpoint of flying 'by the numbers' rather than just 'hammer throttle and go'. That's actually the main reason I buy payware to begin with, can't stand flying something for which I don't have accurate procedures and performance data...or that doesn't fly reasonably close to the published numbers.One other thing I like to do is check the Airliners.net page...often there will be a picture of an intriguing random airport on there. I'll jump in the Sim and go explore that place...have found a lot of interesting destinations that way. Recently, if I find that the scenery is terrible or non-existent I'll open it in Airport Design Editor X and tweak the landclass, add a building or two etc. In that sense I can honestly say I've got nice houses all over the world. @Krister: I agree with you about the charts...used to use the Jeppesen Simcharts. Even though they weren't current, they did match the FSX data...since I flew offline it didn't matter much anyway. That program was pretty amazing because it had charts for just about every scratch in the ground calling itself an airport in every part of the world. Of course Jepp shut it down :(Wish everybody put their charts online like US/NACO does.

Matt Smith

Prepar3D