Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

3 Flight Trailers puts rumors to rest

Everyone should remember that MS canned ACES because some execs decided that was the best way to improve the bottom line and thus keep the shareholders happy and retain their bonuses. MS is a public company and it's sole focus its shareholders and not its employees or existing customers. Its blatantly obvious from the screen-shots and movies released so far that Flight is an enhanced version of FSX. I have seen nothing in the screen-shots/movies that convince me its a "new" platform, to the contrary it looks exactly like FSX with improved textures.It makes sense for MS to enhance the FSX platform and NOT start again from the beginning and develop totally new tech.Any new development effort is going to be mainly focused on integrating Flight with Live and creating a "Flight Marketplace".

Matthew S

Hi, I hope so that nothing will be compatible with flight : It needs a new engine, innovation, and fun !Why would you want to keep old design things ? I want action, crash effects like race or war games, why should we be affraid to see a plane crash ? It's a game !!... Overall I really expect that they don't keep FS2000 engine !Eric

Hi, I hope so that nothing will be compatible with flight : It needs a new engine, innovation, and fun !Why would you want to keep old design things ? I want action, crash effects like race or war games, why should we be affraid to see a plane crash ? It's a game !!... Overall I really expect that they don't keep FS2000 engine !Eric
Nothing will be compatible...:( It would be possible to have the scenery you already have made compatible with FSX SP3 (Flight), the dev. would have to release a patch to mofify the existing scenery to what ever will be in FSX SP3 (Flight) like DX11 or else BUT since you will have to buy the new scenery at the virtual market place store from MS how would you incorporate the patched scenery or the scenery itself into FSX SP3 (Flight) ....impossible.... that's where the extra $$$ are for MS and the dev. Do you think you'll receive a FSX SP3 (Flight) DVD you can install in your computer the day you'll sibscribe to FSX SP3 or do you think you will only have access to the virtual world of FSX SP3 (Flight) after becoming a menber by downloading what's necessary from MS ......Like I said earlier....you "wanna" play you pay.

Guest veeray
Do you still think FSX scenery will be compatible with Flight......:(
So you think MIcrosoft isn't going to to do anything but change the scenery format? You do realize that would mean they'd have to change 10 gigs of data just to mess with us...

So you think MIcrosoft isn't going to to do anything but change the scenery format? You do realize that would mean they'd have to change 10 gigs of data just to mess with us...
It's not about messing with us......you have FSX right now and you can buy better scenery or plane to be added to it if you don't like the basic of FSX.....can you use FS2004 scenery with FSX or FSX scenery with FS2004.....:( Let say MS add SLI and DX11 to FSX SP3 (Flight) and fix other bugs like popping trees, shimering by fixing the AA, flickering runways +++ .....why will the dev. go back and make a patch to their existing FSX scenery or plane to be useed with FSX SP3 (Flight) ...where is the money for them by doing this? Further more...how will you be able to download your patched scenery (assuming the dev. patched them and you can download your existing scenery into FSX SP3 ...Flight) in to MS virtual world of FSX SP3 (Flight) since you have to log in to play, that does not make sense does it.......MS make more $$$ by hosting the site, they will charge a little % to the dev. on every sale they make and the dev. make more $$$ by selling you their new scenery and having their stuff protected from hackers......still think your existing scenery will make it inside FSX SP3 (Flight)........:( I'm just using what is in the press release and vid. from MS to built my opinion on, don't take what I'm saying for the truth and nothing but the truth but if you or somebody else think I'm off my rockers please point me out to the right direction.......or show me something I missed from MS Press release ......Do I think MS will give us FSX simmers a little something to fix some of the bugs we already have....yes...:( but the major improvement will be online....

It's not about messing with us......you have FSX right now and you can buy better scenery or plane to be added to it if you don't like the basic of FSX.....can you use FS2004 scenery with FSX or FSX scenery with FS2004.....:( Let say MS add SLI and DX11 to FSX SP3 (Flight) and fix other bugs like popping trees, shimering by fixing the AA, flickering runways +++ .....why will the dev. go back and make a patch to their existing FSX scenery or plane to be useed with FSX SP3 (Flight) ...where is the money for them by doing this? Further more...how will you be able to download your patched scenery (assuming the dev. patched them and you can download your existing scenery into FSX SP3 ...Flight) in to MS virtual world of FSX SP3 (Flight) since you have to log in to play, that does not make sense does it.......MS make more $$ by hosting the site, they will charge a little % to the dev. on every sale they make and the dev. make more $$ by selling you their new scenery and having their stuff protected from hackers......still think your existing scenery will make it inside FSX SP3 (Flight)........:( I'm just using what is in the press release and vid. from MS to built my opinion on, don't take what I'm saying for the truth and nothing but the truth but if you or somebody else think I'm off my rockers please point me out to the right direction.......or show me something I missed from MS Press release ......Do I think MS will give us FSX simmers a little something to fix some of the bugs we already have....yes...:( but the major improvement will be online....
I think you need a tin foil hat for all those conspiracy theories -- A few points here:1. You are talking about a vid from a product that is still not even an Alpha version: This completely takes away any validity to your points. 2. You will not need to "Log in to play" Show me where it says so. You will need to log in to buy content for the game, which is entirely different. The same that now, if you want a plane or scenery for your FSX you need to go to internet and buy content... Or have you gotten PMDGs or REX for free???3. They will probably change the scenery and the plane format, that we agree... But again, you are asking that a product is something better than a simple SP3 of the current version and on the other hand you want stuff that has been going on for the last 4 years to be compatible? Make up your mind.

I think you need a tin foil hat for all those conspiracy theories -- A few points here:1. You are talking about a vid from a product that is still not even an Alpha version: This completely takes away any validity to your points. 2. You will not need to "Log in to play" Show me where it says so. You will need to log in to buy content for the game, which is entirely different. The same that now, if you want a plane or scenery for your FSX you need to go to internet and buy content... Or have you gotten PMDGs or REX for free???3. They will probably change the scenery and the plane format, that we agree... But again, you are asking that a product is something better than a simple SP3 of the current version and on the other hand you want stuff that has been going on for the last 4 years to be compatible? Make up your mind. ==============================================================================================================================================Hahah that's the only hat I have....conspiracy....B) ......just reading what's already available from MS.....1: Alpha or not do you see a plane with a wheel sinking in the runway in the last vid.? Where else did you see that before....you'r right FSX ...will they fix this :( ....probably.....still the same engine is it not?New engine with the same B) .....Shame%20On%20You.gif 2: OK fair point so lets say you don't have to log in to play....where will you download the scenery after buying it....on to your SSD.....:( Shame%20On%20You.gif or in to MS virtual world...:( 3: Never said I want FSX scenery to be compatible with FSX SP3 (Flight)...show me whare....like I said before and I will say it again... the existing scenery will not be compatible with the new sim. because that will be the most stupid think to do from MS and the dev. ...Money%20Eyes.gif .why in hell will they make the old scenery compatible....

Guest veeray

Why would you buy any addon from Microsoft, I'm sure the people here would rather give all their money directly to the producers. And unless Microsoft is willing to compensate I doubt any exclusive deals will be happening...

Why would you buy any addon from Microsoft, I'm sure the people here would rather give all their money directly to the producers. And unless Microsoft is willing to compensate I doubt any exclusive deals will be happening...
Follow me here, let say MS is hosting Flight.online and the marketplace where you can buy addons from any dev. selling in the store (dev. who signed a contract with MS to sell their stuff in the marketplace) now let say that after buying Flight you don't like the basic scenery...what do you do.....you take the customer number you received when buying Flight you go shopping in the marketplace store.....you see something you like....let say Miami extreme from Alerostuff (made up name)at $29.99....you buy it with you CC or Paypal account after entering your Flight customer number ...approved......you go back to Flight.....enter the departing airport (miami extreme) and bingo it's there......MS made some $$ from the dev. for selling the scenery and the dev. cash in for the sale of their scenery........why doing it like that would you ask.....good question......and the answer is......hackers can't get to it....no loss of revenue for the dev. :( Don't you like conspiracy theory.......I do.....

So what does your crystal ball tell you about the freeware side of the house?

For the most part, yes. Scenery developed for FSX SP2/Acceleration should be. At worst, a conversion utility might be needed for aircraft model files. Keep in mind that the hypothetical "conversion utility" was already part of the FSvNext development paradigm.
But Microsoft never provided a conversion utility for FS2004 to FSX.

But Microsoft never provided a conversion utility for FS2004 to FSX.
No they didn't, and the reason is quite simple. The entire model format paradigm was totally new. All stock animations that were "partname and axis driven" were replaced with "embedded XML animation/control scripts." In addition, the new paradigm eliminated the "single model system" and instituted the "split model system."There is really is no effective way to automatically "convert" existing FS9 .mdl files. There are some very talented folks at FS-Developer who've spent quite a bit of time trying to do just that, and have consistently failed to accomplish the goal.On the other hand, the planned improvements/changes for FSvNext were based on the new paradigm, and they (ACES) did have a planned migration tool in development in the event it was actually needed.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So what does your crystal ball tell you about the freeware side of the house?
Now that's a good one.......I did not know they had a freeware side......do they?Now this is pure speculation but would it nice to be able to get free bees after spending x amount of money at a specific dev. company......let say you accumulate x amount of points for every $ spent on a product made by Alerostuff and beside the price of the product in $ you also have the price of the product in points.......Naaaa ......

Uhh...you know - freeware? All of the great stuff you can get from the file libraries here and at other FS sites? Have you never looked at the free stuff in the hobby? "Pay to play" is going to seriously limit the content you will get to choose from.

Guest veeray

Honestly... 0% of the publishers follow the Games for Windows guidelines... I doubt they're going to rush into the Games for Window Live requirements....especially given all the extra work involved. I can see it now...To: Microsoft SupportRe: PMDG aircraft engines don't start when i press Ctrl-E.....give me back my money.And having 5 different wrappers from 5 different online stores is more secure then letting MIcrosoft build a protection system that'll be hacked in 3 months, and hence useless. Pretty much like their Xbox 360.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.