Sign in to follow this  
BobP

EZdok Camera is frustrating... (at best)

Never had a problem with EZdok. Wouldn't fly with out it.
+1 :(

UPDATE: Or maybe it wasn't MomentumEffect after all. The crash-on-startup problem recurred after I'd switched the MomentumEffect off - I finally had to rebuild the fsx.cfg to cure it. Not sure the cause - one of the trusted modules, I think, but I don't know which. To me, yet another argument for trying to keep the FSX setup as simple as possible...
Just a thought - Are you sure your overclock is stable? Looked at your sigs and noticed the speed of the 980.

Just a thought - Are you sure your overclock is stable? Looked at your sigs and noticed the speed of the 980.
Maybe time for cleaning up the computer and blow all the dust out of the CPU fan?

Always a good thought to check the overclock. In this case, though, everything's stable - it continues to pass all the tests, and FSX seems to be doing fine with its new .cfg. Re: the speed - no one was more surprised than I was to get there. I couldn't get past 3.9 with a 965. But the 980 is highly overclockable - I'm running at moderate-to-low voltages and temperatures.The only other clue I've got that the problems are related to a module or add-on is that I went through an intermediate phase where I'd get to the free-flight screen, but it'd be offset to the lower right portion of the monitor. The same thing happened to me earlier when I was running WinchX, and disappeared as soon as I removed it.Next step is to re-introduce the recent add-ons one at a time and see where the breakdown occurs.Isn't FSX fun? Once a month I manage to fly something in it, just for variety...
Maybe time for cleaning up the computer and blow all the dust out of the CPU fan?
Again, always a good idea. In this case, I'd just dusted before the problems set in - could it be that the computer was happier with some nice insulating dust? I won't rule that out...It's conceivable to me that the DWC and cloud-smoothing options in FSX don't get along with the overclock - if the problem appears again, I'll try reverting to default settings and see if that helps. But my current theory (as noted above) is that it's add-on related - just don't know which one.I'll stay open to suggestion, though... ;)

It's conceivable to me that the DWC and cloud-smoothing options in FSX don't get along with the overclock - if the problem appears again, I'll try reverting to default settings and see if that helps. But my current theory (as noted above) is that it's add-on related - just don't know which one.I'll stay open to suggestion, though... ;)
one thing to try, maybe.. i use it with DWC mode in ASE and no issues, but, i always start ASE -after- fsx is up and running and i'm sitting on the tarmac. haven't tried doing it the other way. cheers-andy crosby

one thing to try, maybe.. i use it with DWC mode in ASE and no issues, but, i always start ASE -after- fsx is up and running and i'm sitting on the tarmac. haven't tried doing it the other way. cheers-andy crosby
That's interesting. I've always had trouble getting it to connect if FSX is running first. But worth a shot - I'll add it to the list of experiments.

Guest nzch2010
That's interesting. I've always had trouble getting it to connect if FSX is running first. But worth a shot - I'll add it to the list of experiments.
Hmm you jogged my memory when you mentioned the free flight window going to the bottom right corner of your screen.( rules out the overclock ?) I had the same thing. but no CTD. I use DWC and FSX is running (Full Screen Mode) when I light up ASE. Uninstalling ezdok removes that little glitch. So an addon that we both use........? See the list in my sig.Hope it helps you to solve it. BTW I have not overclocked my system, it would be too embarrassing. CheersJulian

Got a quick question - purchased this software yesterday and just read somewhere that V2.0 won't be a free upgrade?Can anyone please confirm because I'll be getting my money back for v1.7 then...Thanks,Dylan

Hmm you jogged my memory when you mentioned the free flight window going to the bottom right corner of your screen.( rules out the overclock ?) I had the same thing. but no CTD. I use DWC and FSX is running (Full Screen Mode) when I light up ASE. Uninstalling ezdok removes that little glitch. So an addon that we both use........? See the list in my sig.Hope it helps you to solve it. BTW I have not overclocked my system, it would be too embarrassing. CheersJulian
Well, the problem re-appeared after I'd dropped the momentum effect setting. So the advice of Jim Skorna over at HiFi Sim, I decided to drop the overclock back to normal. Once I did, I was able to launch FSX under ASE DWC. Then, when I restored the overclock, I was still able to launch FSX under DWC, at least the first time. On a subsequent launch, I got the free flight screen offset to lower right, but this time I was able to drag it back to center (this hadn't been possible before) and launch a flight.So basically I'm still puzzled. The fact that the problem is intermittend might point to the overclock. But I'm reluctant to drop it since it performs so well in other respects. I suppose I can live with ASE in standard mode if it comes to it.The only add-on we seem to have in common is the FS Dream Team airports - I just picked up and installed several of them during their recent sale. I wonder if there's a connection.FYI, here's my thread in the HiFi Sim support forum. Happy to continue the conversation there - I seem to have hijacked the EZCA thread, which wasn't my intent. Since the investigation is leading elsewhere, maybe best to continue our conversation over there. Not sure though - maybe EZCA is still relevant - but I thought I'd raise the possiblity. See you there... or back here...

Guest nzch2010
Well, the problem re-appeared after I'd dropped the momentum effect setting. So the advice of Jim Skorna over at HiFi Sim, I decided to drop the overclock back to normal. Once I did, I was able to launch FSX under ASE DWC. Then, when I restored the overclock, I was still able to launch FSX under DWC, at least the first time. On a subsequent launch, I got the free flight screen offset to lower right, but this time I was able to drag it back to center (this hadn't been possible before) and launch a flight.So basically I'm still puzzled. The fact that the problem is intermittend might point to the overclock. But I'm reluctant to drop it since it performs so well in other respects. I suppose I can live with ASE in standard mode if it comes to it.The only add-on we seem to have in common is the FS Dream Team airports - I just picked up and installed several of them during their recent sale. I wonder if there's a connection.FYI, here's my thread in the HiFi Sim support forum. Happy to continue the conversation there - I seem to have hijacked the EZCA thread, which wasn't my intent. Since the investigation is leading elsewhere, maybe best to continue our conversation over there. Not sure though - maybe EZCA is still relevant - but I thought I'd raise the possiblity. See you there... or back here...
I wonder if NickN can shed some light, at least rule out the o/clock anyway. He is on holiday but is monitoring the Simforum. Interesting I had the free flight window drop as well, but uninstalling ezdok restored it.I am going to re-install ezdok in the week end, determined now to learn it after reading some of the posts in this thread.One thing you may want to try, is reinstall Simconnect in the following order:RTMSP1SP2I had to do that once when ASE spit the dummy, was a while ago, cannot remember the exact issue but..... just a thoughtCheersJulian

I didn't want to reply in this discussion maybe because i'm subjective about EZCa. For me EZCa fulfils my expectations. I didn't create an external view point, i know it has his difficulty but (and now i speak for myself) i didn't take the time to inmerse in that matter!!Conclusion: for me EZCA is great and original. It filled the gap that FSX developers had missedCheersIgnacio :(

Ignacio aka Tanocapo

I wonder if NickN can shed some light, at least rule out the o/clock anyway. He is on holiday but is monitoring the Simforum. Interesting I had the free flight window drop as well, but uninstalling ezdok restored it.I am going to re-install ezdok in the week end, determined now to learn it after reading some of the posts in this thread.One thing you may want to try, is reinstall Simconnect in the following order:RTMSP1SP2I had to do that once when ASE spit the dummy, was a while ago, cannot remember the exact issue but..... just a thoughtCheersJulian
I think I've been able to trace the problem to a corrupted dll.xml file - it had an extra (blank) linefeed in it just above the entry for the Virtuali add-on manager that's installed along with the FS Dreamteam airports. I also found that both the dll.xml and the exe.xml had references in them to a number of programs and modules that I'd deleted - including EZCA, but also Cumulus X and Winch X. I deleted all of these. So far, FSX seems to launch perfectly with ASE running and DWC set. It seems that EZCA probably wasn't to blame - though it also seems to be worth checking the two .xml files after uninstall to remove the references to this and other programs, since they're not deleted as part of the uninstall routine. The bottom line is that the dll.xml and exe.xml are fragile and easily corrupted - and should be backed up before any new install, and checked frequently. Good pointers here about how to edit the dll.xml and what to look for. Hope this is helpful.

I think I've been able to trace the problem to a corrupted dll.xml file - it had an extra (blank) linefeed in it just above the entry for the Virtuali add-on manager that's installed along with the FS Dreamteam airports. I also found that both the dll.xml and the exe.xml had references in them to a number of programs and modules that I'd deleted - including EZCA, but also Cumulus X and Winch X. I deleted all of these. So far, FSX seems to launch perfectly with ASE running and DWC set. It seems that EZCA probably wasn't to blame - though it also seems to be worth checking the two .xml files after uninstall to remove the references to this and other programs, since they're not deleted as part of the uninstall routine. The bottom line is that the dll.xml and exe.xml are fragile and easily corrupted - and should be backed up before any new install, and checked frequently. Good pointers here about how to edit the dll.xml and what to look for. Hope this is helpful.
Sigh... not so fast... still getting crashes but not in a predictable way. Will look again at the overclock but I'm also reviewing Simconnect logs - the crash seems to happen consistently when Simconnect tries to call an element of the Couatl program related to the FS Dreamteam airports. Since EZCA is pretty clearly off the hook, I'll retire from this thread now and continue over in the HiFiSim forum. Thanks, everybody, for your help so far.