Sign in to follow this  
OwenHewitt

Add-On Future with MS Flight

Some reflection on the initial post and on the comments left here. Thanks again for leaving your comments!
It’s a great follow-up post.

In my opinion, this is a hard B-29 hit for us MSFS fans. If this is the way MS treats us, I'm sticking with FSX, particularly when that accuracy is lost. For me, losing FS shops such as FSPilotshop, to which I have frequently used for payware purchases, means losing all the special offers and discounts, DOUBLING the additional credit card waste. Dave.

It seems the whole world has become "APP" crazy and vendors a making millions off it. I fear that Flght will become vehicle just to to sell APPs for it...... FS freeware wil become a thing of the past...... and......In short, I fear that Flight will be an "incomplete" simulator/program and you can make it as complete as you want, depending on how much money you want to spend on APPs.You don't think it can happen? Just look around at the current marketplace.

It seems the whole world has become "APP" crazy  and vendors a making millions off it. I fear that  Flght will become vehicle just to  to sell APPs for it...... FS freeware wil become a thing of the past...... and......In short, I fear that Flight will be an "incomplete" simulator/program and you can make it as complete as you want, depending on how  much money you want to spend on APPs.You don't think it can happen? Just look around at the current marketplace.
Not sure why people think that flight will kill freeware?Also, an upgrade to your POV, the sim will be complete and you can ENHANCE as much as you like..........

Why is it so hard to believe into this storyline: Microsoft is creating things from scratch, without backwards compatibility? Last post by Owen certainly confirms that. I think there is going to be freeware, just as it used to be. It's simply gonna be a whole new world, and we are starting from beginning with everything. Not bad IMO.

Not sure why people think that flight will kill freeware?Also, an upgrade to your POV, the sim will be complete and you can ENHANCE as much as you like..........
If you consider that:1) Indications are that Flight wiil be a new sim with no backwards compatablitiy......2) That "live" will be the vehilcle for flight to be upgraded.....3) As of yet, no word of a of publically released SDK.....Freeware for for Flight might not be possible.Also, If an internet connection is nessary to run Flight, you can bet your rudder pedals that the EULA will state that MS reserves the right to modify any aspect of Flight without your permission.I also would not be surprised if the EULA states that no portion of Flight can be modified or added to without the permission of MS.I sincerly hope I am wrong but, given the current way software is marketed and how MS can be....... can you really blame them for wanting the FS add-on market also? Somehow, I can't picture them just giving that market away.....again.

1. What indications? From who? I've seen nothing from Microsoft about anything concrete. Until then it's all a bunch of speculation from people not in the know. If they did know, they would be under a NDA and wouldn't risk any disclosure.2. Source for Live being the upgrade vehicle? Unless it's part of the speculation mentioned above, then don't worry about it.3. There's been no mention of any land mass other then the area around Hilo, Hawaii. Will the rest of the world be updated via Live? At a cost? There's been no mention of ATC or BIG jets or a whole bunch of things. Well, you might catch my drift...The FSX EULA also addresses modifying or decompiling files. I haven't been hit with a cease and desist letter from Microsoft's legal department... yet.Microsoft has neither the staff nor the resources to have absolute control over addons. Why do people project that the payware marketplace will somehow become a gold mine and that everyone should be calling their broker, putting in BUY options on Microsoft stock? There is enough business savvy in Redmond IMO that would surface and cutoff any bean counter from going and ruining the Flight Simulator franchise.Still planning my early morning run to Best Buy once Flight is released. If I can find a Best Buy once I move... :(

I honestly cant see Microsoft charging a 'fee' to get freeware. Microsoft isn't stupid. They know that a good chunk of the new costumers will be old FSX/FS2004 users. If we find out that there will be very few freeware add ons, and we have to pay a fee for any that exist, the buyers will be restricted to people seeing it at walmart and saying: "Cool! an airplane game!"

If you consider that:1) Indications are that Flight wiil be a new sim with no backwards compatablitiy......2) That "live" will be the vehilcle for flight to be upgraded.....3) As of yet, no word of a of publically released SDK.....Freeware for for Flight might not be possible.Also, If an internet connection is nessary to run Flight, you can bet your rudder pedals that the EULA will state that MS reserves the right to modify any aspect of Flight without your permission.I also would not be surprised if the EULA states that no portion of Flight can be modified or added to  without the permission of MS.I sincerly hope I am wrong but, given the current way software is marketed and how  MS can be....... can you really  blame them for wanting the FS add-on market also? Somehow, I can't picture them just giving that market away.....again.
Sorry, I am confident that you are wrong.  Nearly from the beginning of the franchise, developers have been able to make addon aircraft and scenery.  Its such a small probability that MS would change the formula that has worked for many, many years.

...the buyers will be restricted to people seeing it at walmart and saying: "Cool! an airplane game!"
There's likely to be more of them than of us!

This is a bit of a thought excercise, but bear with me :) I'm curious what everyone's definition of freeware is. Now I know that the obvious answer is if it's free, but I'm wondering if that makes the most sense or not in terms of this discussion. Does it make more sense to think of freeware as stuff made by people in their spare time, vs someone who is part of a company that is doing it professionally? What if ORBX releases something for free? Is that freeware? What if someone who usually releases things for free suddenly charges something for it, even if it is a small amount? If someone sells something for $0.50 or a dollar? Is it now payware and not freeware?If you look at Xbox LIVE there are plenty of cases where you can download an add-on for free, so it seems like price alone shouldn't be an issue.

Like I said, I sincerly hope I am wrong.However, given the fact that the world semms to be increasingly be run by accountants and greed........ I have definate fears about it.Anyway, I think it is good to have this conversation for the sole purpose of letting MS know how we feel about this issue.LIke I previously said, we need to know if a SDK is to be released as this will speak volumes about the issue.All they have to say is "yes" or "no" to put this issue to rest or, at least make it clear where they stand on it.

Guest veeray
If you look at Xbox LIVE there are plenty of cases where you can download an add-on for free, so it seems like price alone shouldn't be an issue.
Nope it's payware... even if it's a bonus or gift. Freeware would mean an unregistered unsigned vendor...

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.