Sign in to follow this  
Ioan92

So I just bought the MD-11 ^^

I'm not trying to be mean here, but if you claim to have truly mastered the plane, I'm hoping you no longer fly as you did in screenshot two above. You're exceeding the flap speed (note the FLAP DISAGREE warning on the EICAS, because the plane is saving you from being assaulted by maintenance for damaging the flaps by automatically partially retracting them) and you're also well above the REF speed. I can see that you have 150 dialed in, but you have to 'set' the speed by clicking on the knob. Better yet, you should just left it on FMS speed and the aircraft will take care of all of that for you. You're also in an autoland mode. I'd consider mastery being able to land the aircraft yourself, but that's just me. Otherwise, I would have said good job hitting the upper glidepath, as is appropriate for this aircraft.
That was my absolute first try,Last try looks like this::)

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Guest nzch2010
Allrighty!I can positively say that I've mastered the plane at about 90% besides a few weirds like doesn't the FMC tell you when you're nearing the T/D and what exactly to do. Along with that; Go-Arounds are a bit weird because the new approach I type in doesn't recieve VPP and VREF only altitude marks. No speeds per waypoint either.Also, who doesn't love ######ing Betty! (BEEEP BEEEP FUUUUUUULLLLAAAAP!)LOL.gif
Got to "Perf" page for the T/D

Much better on the speed, but the aircraft is still landing itself.
I consider mastering autoland more important as manual landing just comes with practice. Autoland is either know or don't know. For me at least!

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Glad someone else asked this cause I own the MD-11 and J41, but have never really given them a chance as I just can't see past flying my 747s. Whenever I load the MD-11 it seems too Star-Trekish and my J-41 a flying Engine bomb. I'm using AoA MD-11 training to shed some light on what I'm missing.

Remember there is a second tutorial flight available on PMDG download page. An excellent choice once you have done the first one...Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

I consider mastering autoland more important as manual landing just comes with practice. Autoland is either know or don't know. For me at least!
Most people would say it was the other way around. If you can land by hand then it doesn't matter if you can auto-land - or if the auto-land is in-op etc., because you can still get down. But if you can't land by hand, it is very hard to know if the auto-land is doing its job properly (as in your first screen shot) above, nor will you know what needs to be done to correct it when things go wrong.

Most people would say it was the other way around. If you can land by hand then it doesn't matter if you can auto-land - or if the auto-land is in-op etc., because you can still get down. But if you can't land by hand, it is very hard to know if the auto-land is doing its job properly (as in your first screen shot) above, nor will you know what needs to be done to correct it when things go wrong.
Exactly. Don't know why so many consider autoland a must have and must do thing. Autolands in FS are quite unspectacular. I doubt that these autoland-people are aware that autolands require a lot of surveillance and highly alert pilots, let alone that this type of approach cannot be done just for fun, it needs support from ground facilities and regulatory rules. As far as I know autolands are rarely being used under normal conditions. In FS, autolands would kill a great portion of the flying fun for me. But we all have different preferences...

Exactly. Don't know why so many consider autoland a must have and must do thing. Autolands in FS are quite unspectacular. I doubt that these autoland-people are aware that autolands require a lot of surveillance and highly alert pilots, let alone that this type of approach cannot be done just for fun, it needs support from ground facilities and regulatory rules. As far as I know autolands are rarely being used under normal conditions. In FS, autolands would kill a great portion of the flying fun for me. But we all have different preferences...
The main reason why autoland mastery is so important for me to learn is that I never know for sure how the weather in my arrival airport is, so if the visibility starts to go bad I'm ready to just do the autoland and land safely. Autolands in zero visibility are quite spectacular, not for the skill but the technology involved around it.Of course the rest of the time is manual, more fun!

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Every once in a while (in the real world), you will see a crew perform a CAT-III approach in severe clear conditions. If the weather has been really nice (or nicer than would require for a CAT-III) and they haven't had the chance to complete an autoland, they'll do it in the clear provided ATC doesn't object. This is to maintain currency. That being said, it's way too rampant in the flight sim world, where everyone seems to think that you can autoland on anything, anywhere, any time (reference: "How can I land at an airport without ILS thread" - I won't bother linking to it). For even those who understand you need ILS to do it, most couldn't tell you the difference between ILS CATs and which ones allow autoland.I understand the OP's point that mastery (as in complete knowledge) would include knowing how to properly set up and monitor an autoland, but I wholeheartedly disagree that an autoland would ever be more important than the mastery of a hand landing. Technology is wonderful when it works, but when things fail (and fail they do), who must land the plane? You do. When things get bad enough, you're going to have to do it manually. Without that practice and knowledge, you have not mastered the aircraft. To be honest, per VATAWARE, I have 77 hours in the MD-11 (not much compared to some on here, but I also take some of cruise to read some about the aircraft, and will try non-standard procedures from time to time) and I still don't consider myself as a master of the plane by any means (in a flight sim sense). I have a great background knowledge and I can fly it well, but I wouldn't claim to be a master.

Kyle Rodgers

Just thought I would point out you can Autoland on any ILS regardless of the CAT as long as you use the correct minimums and ATC can keep the sensitive areas clear.As far as crew doing it, they can keep current on the sims, however the aircraft still needs to do a certain amount of Autolands to remain current and the crew will obviously be informed in advance.Regards

Rob Prest

When you think you have mastered this aircraft, turn on the failures and try running the systems in manual mode. Of course, there is always hand-flying difficult approaches in bad weather. Trust me, with the depth and complexity of the MD-11, you don't even come close to "mastering" it in a few days. Also, are you flying it on VATSIM yet? It is one of the easier aircraft to operate online because of all the automation.

When you think you have mastered this aircraft, turn on the failures and try running the systems in manual mode. Of course, there is always hand-flying difficult approaches in bad weather. Trust me, with the depth and complexity of the MD-11, you don't even come close to "mastering" it in a few days. Also, are you flying it on VATSIM yet? It is one of the easier aircraft to operate online because of all the automation.
I'd like to but I am so new and confused to online flying that I do not know where to start.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

If i can, the online flight will be a revolution in your way of flight-simming. I recommand you to start having a look at IVAO or VATSIM websites, better your "national" site...Me too, was scared by the software required, the english to be spoken, the exactly prhaseology, the microphone, etc. etc.Then, one great day i open my browser, surfing to IVAO website and have a look into the online flight deeper. Now i'm a member of both, and i fly both, where there is more ATC connected.Trust me, the setting for flying online is very fast and simple, the client (Ivap for IVAO, and Sqwakbox for VATSIM) is something linear and simple to master and the fun is something amazing.Also, if you are new, you can write it down into the Flight Plan Remarks field, and the controllers take care of you and help you as much as they can...Have a look to this online flying, and you will never fly again without it...Big%20Grin.gifCheers,

If i can, the online flight will be a revolution in your way of flight-simming. I recommand you to start having a look at IVAO or VATSIM websites, better your "national" site...Me too, was scared by the software required, the english to be spoken, the exactly prhaseology, the microphone, etc. etc.Then, one great day i open my browser, surfing to IVAO website and have a look into the online flight deeper. Now i'm a member of both, and i fly both, where there is more ATC connected.Trust me, the setting for flying online is very fast and simple, the client (Ivap for IVAO, and Sqwakbox for VATSIM) is something linear and simple to master and the fun is something amazing.Also, if you are new, you can write it down into the Flight Plan Remarks field, and the controllers take care of you and help you as much as they can...Have a look to this online flying, and you will never fly again without it...Big%20Grin.gifCheers,
I actually have a vatsim account since august, but squawbox had aa issues with my sim so i gave it up.Now it doesn't seem to interfere anymore without nhancer, which is super. I start sq before fs and connect it from the main menu, it is good practice right?

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png