Sign in to follow this  
Nikos_f3n

Head on collision on runway!

Hey guys, i had a collision yesterday and it was very weird. I was landing ILS at Bari - Italy, when i touched down i saw a light!!! The ATC has given clearence to a 737 to take off. The result was a head on collision and 62 dead on fspassengers! I was very frustrated about this. Its the first time i had this problem. Why this has happened? I was flying an airbus A321I had 220 knots before final instructions to ils aproach, and 180knots when turning to get straight with the localizer. Then 160 knots until clear to land from tower, and 142 knots final aproach. Do you think i was to fast at some point. Maybe the tower thought the 737 had time to take off and clear my path. Or it's just a bug? I usualy approach on this speed and never had a problem.

Fsx ATC is very bad. Do not trust it at all in regards to separationI recomend to avoid the frustration in the future untick the allow collisions with AI traffic box in the realism menu.

You are right, it isn't my fault after all. Almost every time i aproach a large airport i see an other plane on final next to me and no one from atc gives me a warning. So i have to adjust the aproach myself to give space to the AI.

You're lucky it wasn't real life, back in 1977I was unfortunate to disembarking from my flight to Tenerife when two 747's collided on the runway, Pan Am was backtaxiing and KLM was on takeoff, with the result of 583 fatalities and 61 survivors all from the Pan Am flight. Lucky escape for them and for me Mike

Going to something like Radar Contact will certainly do much (if not totally) to reduce that problem.

There were a couple of programs available for FS2004 which helped to space out the AI traffic and make a conflict less likely.I wonder if there's anything like them available for FSX?

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

well if you have ultimate traffic for FSX, you can always do Ctrl+Shft+T (I think) and it will wipe out all ai traffic in the immediate area!! not realistic but if you really get yoursefl in a jam!

Ciao!

Guest wims

The fact that the default ATC is not capable of separating traffic totally turned me off using it. What is the point of using atc that are not capable of doing the job atc was designed to do? I just switched to flying online with human atc instead and I never looked back. I highly recommend giving it a try

You are right, it isn't my fault after all...
Well, only sort of...This isn't trying to actually place blame on you. MSFS ATC is very bad and places you in many situations with poor traffic seperation. My point with this post though is that real life ATC also makes mistakes and may place you in the same situation. Obviously, in these cases, no onceexcepts "it wasn't my fault" from the pilot. If you really want to play with MSFS as a "simulator" then you neeed to be on the look out for conflicting traffic and if you see a situation like this execute a missed approach (you should have seen the oncoming aircraft prior to touchdown). At the same time, realize you going to have a lot more missed approaches, etc, than in real life because of the crappy default ATC.

Eric Szczesniak

Nikos, have you really been cleared to land by the default ATC? I'm asking, because I have seen/experienced many flaws of the default ATC, but never that FSX ATC has cleared 2 aircraft to take off/land in opposite direction at the same time. In FSX and FS4 runways are never open for operation in both directions simultaneously (just like it is in real life).Wolfgang

From what I've seen FS does try to provide separation, but it doesn't monitor or control speeds well and often a slow aircraft will be overtaken. The other thing is if a weather update causes a change in runway usage the AI that are in a landing or takeoff state continue using the old runway, unless you force a refresh (for example, set sim rate 8x and back).scott s..

There were a couple of programs available for FS2004 which helped to space out the AI traffic and make a conflict less likely.I wonder if there's anything like them available for FSX?
FSX AISmooth v1.20 By Michael Sagner.

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

You're lucky it wasn't real life, back in 1977I was unfortunate to disembarking from my flight to Tenerife when two 747's collided on the runway, Pan Am was backtaxiing and KLM was on takeoff, with the result of 583 fatalities and 61 survivors all from the Pan Am flight. Lucky escape for them and for me Mike
Hi Mike,I recall his incident and saw the other night a program on PBS that recounted this disaster. Were you on one of the aicraft at the time of impact, or had you disembarked and missed the crash? I felt so sorry for all of those people due to apparent incompetence of ATC and some of the flight crew.Thanks, Bruce.

Hi Mike,I recall his incident and saw the other night a program on PBS that recounted this disaster. Were you on one of the aicraft at the time of impact, or had you disembarked and missed the crash? I felt so sorry for all of those people due to apparent incompetence of ATC and some of the flight crew.Thanks, Bruce.
No we had just landed and I was coming down the steps when it happened. I'm not sure if it was mentioned that the Pan Am flight was diverted from Las Palmas due to a fake bomb threat at the airport and the pilot was unfamiliar with Tenerife layout.I believe also that there was no ground radar at the time.MikeJust found an old photo taken at the time, avery much younger, thinner and less grey hair back then