Sign in to follow this  
Jeffg817

IFR Payware Aircraft FSX?

I have done a search and now would like hear more up to date idea's on what would be the best payware aircraft for a IFR student to use on FSX? The student is rated private single engine land working on his IFR rating and the aircraft that we fly in has Garmin 430's in it.Thanks for any idea's that will help. JeffG

Jeffrey Gerbert

Hi JeffI would recommend the Just Flight A321 Jetliner to start with perhaps followed by the Wilco Feethere 737 and then the Airbus 320. These aircraft get progressively more complex in that order.Just in case you are not aware, you will need to purchase the AIRAC world navigation VOR/NDB database which provides an interface to the aircraft Flight Management Computer for IFR navigation and Flight Plan. This can be obtained from Navigraph although there may be other sources. It is updated monthly.Hope this helpsRgds - Roger

Hi Jeff,In my point of view all depends If you want to practice using the same aircraft that you are going to fly in real life or not.If you are doing your IFR on a C-172/C-182 or Beech Bonanza go for Carenado (these are the most popular single engine, so I'm guessing that you are flying one of them). If you don't mind and want to fly Multi (I'm not sure if adding another engine and constant prop will help or cause you more trouble) go for Carenado's C340 or RealAir's Duke B60 they are the best Multi light GA available at the moment.One thing I'm pretty sure that everybody here will agree with me is that you HAVE to buy the RXP 430W.hope this helpsregards,Igor

Why not go down to your local Flight Service center and tell them you want an introductory fight in a 747.Serious. As stated earlier. The default 172 would surfice just fine. perhaps add the realityXP GNS 430/530 for realism.
Hehehehe..Oh yeah the RXP is a MUST HAVE for anyone that is doing IFR training, the 430 is the cornerstone of GA IFR nowadays.The only thing that I forgot to mention is that If you want to have dual 430s with crossfill capability you have to buy a package called Unlimited WAAS or something like that from RXP besides the 430 unit itself.regards,Igor

Hi Jeff,In my point of view all depends If you want to practice using the same aircraft that you are going to fly in real life or not.If you are doing your IFR on a C-172/C-182 or Beech Bonanza go for Carenado (these are the most popular single engine, so I'm guessing that you are flying one of them). If you don't mind and want to fly Multi (I'm not sure if adding another engine and constant prop will help or cause you more trouble) go for Carenado's C340 or RealAir's Duke B60 they are the best Multi light GA available at the moment.One thing I'm pretty sure that everybody here will agree with me is that you HAVE to buy the RXP 430W.hope this helpsregards,Igor
Good thread. I got my IFR on an ASEL license some years ago and found FSX to be a great tool. Yes, run, don't walk, to get the RXP GNS 430 (or 530). I did mine in the club's C172S (older KLN94 GPS at that time), and found that this is where FSX really shines. In fact, the default C172S is quite remarkably true when it comes to pitch/power settings, which your student will need to master. The one issue with all FS aircraft, and in fact all PC simulated aircraft mo matter what the sim or platform is, is the pitch stability. In a real aircraft, pitch is the most stable of all dimensions, the aircraft will always fly true regardless depending on how you trim (and if you don;t trim, well you are always fighting it). Roll stability is next, but usually only because of dihedral stability. But in any sim, it's the other way around, and pitch stability sucks- whether that's becuase of the controllers we use, I don't know. In some ways that good, as if you can keep altitude stability in a sim, it's easy in real flying. But just to get started, you may want to find the edit to fsx.cfg that allows you to keep altitude hold on the AP while navigating manually in lateral mode. so you aren;t fighting this all the time.I'd be more than happy to answer any questions that you might have (if I can!).Thanks, Bruce.

Default C172 with Reality XP GNS430W:http://www.reality-xp.com/flightsim/gns430/index.htmlThough you'd have to install it as a popup - I'm not sure it would fit on the VC panel.I presume you're at ERAU or something? What do they fly?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have done a search and now would like hear more up to date idea's on what would be the best payware aircraft for a IFR student to use on FSX? The student is rated private single engine land working on his IFR rating and the aircraft that we fly in has Garmin 430's in it.Thanks for any idea's that will help. JeffG
Carenado Bonanza with an RXP GNS430W would be my recommendation.For an even better cockpit experience, I would add the RXP FLT gauges.

Bert

I want to thank everyone for their ideas even the 747.The Real Duke 60 is a great looking aircraft and I will look into that.There seems a lot of new aircraft coming out soon so I will see what happens. JeffG

Jeffrey Gerbert

Carenado Bonanza with an RXP GNS430W would be my recommendation.For an even better cockpit experience, I would add the RXP FLT gauges.
I would second Bert's recommendation for the RXP FLT series, with smooth instrument movement you really get the effect of realism. Bruce.

Hi JeffI would recommend the Just Flight A321 Jetliner to start with perhaps followed by the Wilco Feethere 737 and then the Airbus 320. These aircraft get progressively more complex in that order.Just in case you are not aware, you will need to purchase the AIRAC world navigation VOR/NDB database which provides an interface to the aircraft Flight Management Computer for IFR navigation and Flight Plan. This can be obtained from Navigraph although there may be other sources. It is updated monthly.Hope this helpsRgds - Roger
Hellofunniest post today :(

Hellofunniest post today :(
+1You know I am rarely on here these days and now I know why!The OP was clearly looking for a GA aircraft. Even if he was looking for an 'airliner' type those mentioned would not be anywhere near my list of purchases!

Having re-read the original post and seen the responses I clearly missed the point here. Next time I respond I'll make sure I read the question properly first!!!Embaressed or what!

Brought a chuckle here.

Having re-read the original post and seen the responses I clearly missed the point here. Next time I respond I'll make sure I read the question properly first!!!Embaressed or what!
We just assumed you had a sense of humor Roger, based on your call sign :-)

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg