Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

RXP 430/530 Model for VC

Strange thing happened at the C208 for example. I was trying to replace the weather radar with the 530, so I would have 430 + 530. Did not work, because the replaced WR gauge took away the textures from the whole panel, so it was transparent.I've just touched the gauge though, no texture work done. Seems like there are some dependencies which I have to understand first.
I had the 208 installed and uninstalled it again, so I cannot duplicate what youare doing, but sometimes gauges have functions beyond the obvious.Try reducing the size of that gauge to gaugename, x, y, 1, 1and then installing the 530 over top.Read here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/322143-installing-reality-xp-wx500-radar/It may or may not work..

Bert

Am I correct when I assume that the only current problem with the RXP VC integration are these knobs, showing some offset?vcoffsetknobs.jpgSo you have some 2 and a half knobs to turn, but this doesn't affect operation of course, just optics. Happens night and day since the lightmap isn't fully following the RXP lines too.What could be a solution there?In my eyes, there's no special panel setup needed, just the default used Garmin 430 has to be resized in the 3D model to match the more accurate RXP layout. By this, the RXP gauge would fit into the 3D model of the plane and one just had to exchange the gauge entries, which takes under a minute.So the work involved in Ron's wish isn't too big, the gauge itself can still use its code, the future 3D model on upcoming planes would just have to be altered by a few millimetres. From the dev's side, no major rework, if I'm correct though.Here's a small comparison of the units to show what we are speaking about.comparisonn.jpgOnce again, if the layout would fit 1:1, nobody would run into problems when using the RXP units. Please feel free to correct me if I'm mixing up things.
Can you do this yourselve or does Carenado have to do it? I was thinking more of the way Real AIir does, it looks so good and EVERYONE loves it.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Can you do this yourselve or does Carenado have to do it? I was thinking more of the way Real AIir does, it looks so good and EVERYONE loves it.
First of all, Bert, thanks again. Very good idea (and thread link) about the "disabled" (while staying enabled) weather radar. I will follow it. Bit of thinking outside the box, well done! (I obviously failed there)Ron, you are absolutely right, the Realair integration is one of a kind. But I can report about some very nice Milviz C310 integration too as their default gauges fit nicely to the RXP layout, so you are actually using their 3D model to operate the RXPs.The optics are 100%, but the operation has a downside. So far, the 3D structure seems to overlay some of the knob clickspots. At the C310 this leads to not operative outer (turn) knobs or rings on the 530 and 430, only the 2D popup then lets you operate those.Milviz offers an extra panel and model file, with flat structures. So if you are going for the best optics (which means 3D), you'll lose some clickspots and if you chose the fully functional option, you'll lose some 3D structures, therefore some IQ.On the current Carenado planes, Bert's tip to resize the RXP units slightly (in width) really helped. The optics of the knobs align and the VC looks nice. Downside so far, the clickspot for the inner ring stays hidden. Only the 2D popup helps then, offering full operation. So mainly the same symptom as on the 3D Miviz variant, some of the knobs are overlayed by the 3D structure.While the Milviz offers the flat panel option, the carenado gives you the "3D knobs" off setting there, removing the overlay but leading to a flatter looking panel.As said, Realair stays the benchmark, offering full operation and best optics in one package.When you look at my screenshot above (with the misaligned 3D knobs) and then look at this one, you can catch an impression about the nicer optics. The lightmaps also fit, so the night lighting remains good.One could still tweak the optics, but from the pilots viewpoint, you don't see big "artefacts" anymore, so it's ok for me. Must admit though that I turn off the 3D knobs on the C208 most of the time as the clickspots on the other gauges (mainly HSI) are better to operate with the mouse then.betteralignment.th.jpgAs long as a 3D model is active, you always run the risk of covering the RXP clickspots on those ring knobs. If you, intentionally, misalign the gauge, they shine through and are operational even when there's an active 3D structure surrounding them.Full operation with aligned optics requires the custom made model file (Realair) or the flat solution from e. g. Milviz, leading to a small loss of IQ.

On the current Carenado planes, Bert's tip to resize the RXP units slightly (in width) really helped. The optics of the knobs align and the VC looks nice. ...When you look at my screenshot above (with the misaligned 3D knobs) and then look at this one, you can catch an impression about the nicer optics.
This looks better indeed - but once you've come this far, I would zoom in a bit and do some further alignment.The whole gauge needs to move right a bit, and the height needs to be reduced and the gauge moved down to compensate.. :(

Bert

Needs some fine tuning, right.But because of the now exchanged weather radar (using the CS now) I fly without the 3D knobs showing and reverted back to the RXP unit just filling the whole space of the Carenado gauge. I did some more tuning on my other planes though where the 3D knob option isn't available.Bert, my main problem when aligning the RXP stuff with the 3D model (which, optically, works well most of the times) is that the clickspots on either the inner or the outer ring knob get covered, as described above.Do you know a solution to this problem or do you go on the 2D popup then, to access all functions? I currently don't have a clue to fix this glitch. :(

Bert, my main problem when aligning the RXP stuff with the 3D model (which, optically, works well most of the times) is that the clickspots on either the inner or the outer ring knob get covered, as described above.Do you know a solution to this problem or do you go on the 2D popup then, to access all functions? I currently don't have a clue to fix this glitch. :(
That is a indeed a limitation of us trying to fit a 2d gauge into a 3d model..I've come to the same conclusion as you have. Although it looks OK, the 3d knobs retrofithas real functional shortcomings, and I use the "no 3d knobs" model instead.

Bert

That is a indeed a limitation of us trying to fit a 2d gauge into a 3d model..
Thanks, Bert. I was hoping for a solution, I must admit. Seems like I have to become a 3D artist then. Big%20Grin.gif

Thanks, Bert. I was hoping for a solution, I must admit. Seems like I have to become a 3D artist then. Big%20Grin.gif
It is actually worse than that... the 3d model file is a compiled piece of codethat only the author(s) can make changes to. :(

Bert

Don't worry, Bert, I was just joking.Before I try becoming a 3D artist, I'll train to be confident with what I have. Since the gauges are working and the main downside are the optics, I'm happy. Some of this happiness is there because the guys around (including you of course) helped a lot.I'm now running some heavily tuned aircraft in the sim. Time to fly! :(

I think bottom line is that Carenado needs to Support RXP GNS like RealAir does...in a 3D model. They would defently sell more and so would RXP, nobody looses! I don't know why they don't do this. This thread has 750 views, that shows something! If Carenado wants to ever compete directly with companies like PMDG and RealAIr they need to step there game up Flight Dynamics and Reality XP 3D models. I think if we keep requesting this then WE WILL GET IT...just like we did with 3D gauges, keep pushing guys!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

This thread has 750 views, that shows something!
Sorry, Ron, I've pressed "reoload" around 700 times because the forums struggled. Big%20Grin.gifJust kidding, you are right of course, there seems to be some interest in integrating the RXP gauges nicely. As you saw, I'm new to the club and support your idea from the heart.But if I could prioritize the current Carenado ambitions, I'd say that the FDE comes first (holds me back from actually buying some of their stuff, I must admit) with the RXP integration following up.And from surfing around, looking for RXP config suggestions, I found out that Bert is the RXP guy of the Net. No plane is save there!Once again, thanks for your help, Bert.

Sorry, Ron, I've pressed "reoload" around 700 times because the forums struggled. Big%20Grin.gifJust kidding, you are right of course, there seems to be some interest in integrating the RXP gauges nicely. As you saw, I'm new to the club and support your idea from the heart.But if I could prioritize the current Carenado ambitions, I'd say that the FDE comes first (holds me back from actually buying some of their stuff, I must admit) with the RXP integration following up.And from surfing around, looking for RXP config suggestions, I found out that Bert is the RXP guy of the Net. No plane is save there!Once again, thanks for your help, Bert.
While I do appreciate Bert's work and follow it with every release I must say that his work is limited because he doesn't have the 3D model to work with right?

Ron Hamilton

While I do appreciate Bert's work and follow it with every release I must say that his work is limited because he doesn't have the 3D model to work with right?
..and if I had it, I would not know what to do with it.. :(

Bert

+1I have the C208 and the only reason I don't fly it is the castrated GPS.If there was a 3D mask like in the Duke I'd be flying the 208 a lot!

- Stefan Dittrich

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg