Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Comet on the way

Yup, Jane is a friend and she's very knowledgeable on aeroplanes, having been a 737 pilot amongst other things, although she's kind of dropped off my radar; I sent her an email the other week asking her how she was, as I know she was quite seriously ill a while back, having to go into hospital, so I certainly do hope she is okay and simply missed that mail. I was angling for a job at PC Pilot actually, apparently she put the word in for me with the editor LOL!Al
Wow! Did not know the fact that Jane was a 737 real world pilot.No wonder her write-ups for PC Pilot had me wondering how on earth a female was so knowledgeable in a hobby mainly seen to be a 'blokes thing' not that I'm in any way saying that ladies do not enjoy and partake in this hobby.They probably do and are more the welcome.Now my respect for Jane has grown twofold. Her write-ups on the PMDG MD-11 were very informative,as have her other write-ups,tutorials,which in an indirect way have influenced me to the buy,e.g.Concorde X,707 Captain,etc.If you do manage to make contact with her, please pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery.And if her influence at PC Pilot does work, I too hope you do land that job. You'd do a good job there, for a wider readership than this membership.

Just pre-ordered it, which you can now do on the JF site. Doing that gets you five quid off the price, and I threw some of my JF loyalty points at it too, meaning it only cost me 17 quid. Winner.Link to the pre-order page if anyone wants to go for it: http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=703Al
Likewise,just pre-ordered the boxed version as I have all their releases in boxed versions and I want to fly this venerable aircraft during the winter months when I'm abroad in a place that has no Internet connection.Thus a boxed version. Thanks for the link and the HU re:the fiver off.

Due out on the 3rd of next month apparently.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

This is some thing i just might get into depending on how you boys rate it when it comes out as you seem to know a lot about this bird.

If it is anything like the real one, it should be a lot of fun. What's not to like about an aeroplane that looks like a DC-3 in the cockpit, but can do over 500mph? :( Al

Alan Bradbury

That looks very interesting. I have always been fond of the old jet airliners, and the Comet is a particularly nice example. Now, if I knew that it will handle nicely at low speeds with full flaps, then Just Flight might have another sale. I didn't see it clearly, but I am assuming that the VC will be very detailed, with high resolution textures?Do those engines have thrust reversers, or is the Comet 4 too old for that?By the way, I wrote two articles for PC Pilot back in my "Flight Unlimited" days (Flight Unlimited 2 in August 2002, and Flight Unlimited 3 Freeware in October 2003). Mark Embleton (the editor at the time) doesn't work there anymore, but he was a really nice guy. If you're reading these words, Mark......best wishes from Chris!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The Comet did indeed have reverse thrust, but only on the outboard engines; in common with most thrust reverser systems of the period, it apparently wasn't hugely effective.Al

Alan Bradbury

Hi Chris,As Al has explained, the Comet had reverse thrust on only the outboard engines, and our model simulates that.Our website contains more screenshots showing the VC: http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=703The Comet handles very well at speeds below 140 knots with full flap!Mark Embleton has been working at Just Flight since leaving PC Pilot. I'll pass on the message.ThanksMartyn

Martyn - Just Flight

Apologies to all Comet pilots for straying off topic - I hope you won't mind me returning Chris's greetings in this thread.Thanks for the kind words, Chris - I rememebr well the FUIII articles you kindly did for us back in the day. It was a pleasure, and good to be able to publicise one of the 'forgotten' sims!I hope all goes well with you, and I'm glad to see that you're still active in the FS world. As Martyn says, I do a fair bit of work with Just Flight now, so am still keeping my hand in and enjoying the virtual skies - although my piloting skills may not have improved quite as much as I'd likeBest wishes, Chris - I'm sure we'll run into each other somewhere one of these days.Mark

It's great to hear from you, Mark! I'm glad that you are still involved in the flight simulation world, so if you are ever going to be part of a Just Flight stand at a flight simulation show, then please let me know. We may finally get to meet in person :( If I decide to purchase the Comet, I'll be sure to post some quality screenshots of it here at AVSIM.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You know, despite the fact that it wouldn't be particularly realistic, I think I would like a Comet 4 in the all grey Nimrod colour scheme....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The Comet did indeed have reverse thrust, but only on the outboard engines; in common with most thrust reverser systems of the period, it apparently wasn't hugely effective.Al
I do hope they add a new sound package as I can already hear the loop in the video sound when at cruise level......Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

I do hope they add a new sound package as I can already hear the loop in the video sound when at cruise level......Menno
I wonder if it's £20 better than the nice David Maltby simulation. I'll wait to hear some reviews before risking it I think.JustFlight: How about a Super VC-10 with a VC, BOAC and patriotic RAF "colours" and a nice Rolls Royce Conway sound set :( I see them in the circuit at Brize every day - a fantastic aircraft to see and hear - makes me in my Learjet feel very small!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Hi,The looping sound is present in the video as one sound file was stretched over that cruise section. The actual sound-set doesn't feature that looping.ThanksMartyn

Martyn - Just Flight

I wonder if it's £20 better than the nice David Maltby simulation. I'll wait to hear some reviews before risking it I think.
I'll stick a quick review up in this forum when I get it, which should be on the 3rd of next month since I pre-ordered it. Judging by the JF Connie, I think it'll be an improvement.Al

Alan Bradbury