Sign in to follow this  
777flyer101

Will Microsoft Flight ever be a success?

I may regret later, but for now it would be better if microsoft make any good service pack for FSX which indeed would fix many bugs and improve the frames.

The reason they aren't releasing anymore service packs and are creating an entirely new game/sim is because of $$.The day will come when all the great FSX developers unite and create their own simulator! What ever happened to the Aerosoft sim? Big%20Grin.gif

Erik L.

1. I think it will be a success.2. I will certainly buy it when it comes out.3. I hope it is not backwards compatible with FSX.4. The add-on developers, like PMDG, will only make it a lot better than it comes "out of the box".Mark

Microsoft flight, in my opinion won't become popular until developers like PMDG and ORBX make the supported product to step in the matter. I am saying that there isn't any need for microsoft to develop a new game with pretty much no change from before except visuals, which is presently being handled by ORBX. The flight, I think will not be a simulator and will end up with the starting of engines by pressing one key. I don't know when it will be released, but whenever it will, it won't have addons like that of PMDG, CS or ORBX, athough it will, but this duration will not be anything less than four years. After all, there isn't any need for microsoft flight. Until then, we simmers would be happy with 777, dash-8 and ORBX newzeland.
Now, I partly agree with you.First of all: everything we see about Flight being less "professional" that the Flight Simulator franchise are merely rumors. We've seen 3 or 4 videos only and 2 dozens of pictures of a product that is still in development. What we know about how it works? Absolutely nothing. We don't have any technical information about Flight yet and we won't have for some time. The chances are terrain will not match ORBX's quality standards, the airplanes won't be at the level of a PMDG, we won't see REX's clouds or Active Sky's weather, but I believe that Microsoft will not step back regarding the level of proficiency they have achieved with the Flight Simulator franchise after almost 30 years. I also find very... redundant, so to say, what you said about "I don't know when it will be released, but whenever it will, it won't have addons like that of PMDG, CS or ORBX". Of course it won't. FS2002 didn't have, FS2004 didn't have, FSX didn't have and Flight, following the logic, won't have also. They will be developed slowly, to the extent of which developers start feeling atracted by the new flight simulator plataform and decide to move on.Nevertheless, I agree with the theory that people will only start migrating from FSX to Flight once we have good addons being developed for it, but I also believe that the curiosity will take many to purchase Flight. FSX will remain as the 'primary' flight simulator for most of us for years after Flight is released, but the migration may happen just like it have been happening with FS9.Regarding the question about whether FSX addons will be compatible with Flight, I strongly believe, and hope, they won't be. Microsoft is doing the samething PMDG is doing now: rebuilding codes. Flight will have new parameters that may not be anywhere close to be compatible with FSX or any other version of Flight Simulator. I want things to be different because, if Microsoft do a good job with Flight, and I belive they will, we'll have entirely new possibilities of what can be achieved by the developers when building new addons.I think that many of you are being reluctant to accept that we'll have a substitute for FSX in a few years. I wasn't a flight simmer when FSX was released, but I believe that people had the same skepticism regarding FSX when it was announced. Times are changing, but developers won't just abandon FSX once Flight is released, but the transition will happen slowly, until we reach the day when FSX will be forgotten by the devs. The same way FS9 is almost buried to the eyes of developers, FSX will also be one day, whether because it's too old or because a new plataform have arrived to take his post.

Matheus Mafra

A success in business terms? That's a profit of any amount. A success in gamer terms? That's too early to comment on. It ought to be a success otherwise Microsoft is a crap business - which, even I'll admit (!), isn't.

The majority of simmers don't even realize this huge add-on market exists. I didn't realize it until a year or so ago when I joined an online FSX group that offered their own aircraft/panels to members. That led me to customizing their panels to suit my tastes. My thirst for learning led me to Angle of Attack training videos. AoA led me to PMDG & and I haven't touched a default aircraft since...I remember seeing a "Queen of the Skies" CD at a store years ago & asking myself "Who in the world would pay that much money for an airplane that's already included in FSX? It's like buying the same product twice!"Anyways, Flight will likely be successful based on the large majority of virgin simmers out there who either don't know add-ons exist or think they're just not worth the money.

I'm intrested in what flight has to offer, but I will not move from fsx untill I can get the PMDG, ORBX ect addons.What I find intresting is that Microsoft seems to be involving some of the high end developers in Flights development, so that will likely see things built in that will allow addons to include spectacular features. Maybe it will be possible to have an accurately working wx radar!And the use of windows live could allow more casual users to find the addon market sooner, expanding the market for developers. and imagine if the multiplayer aspect was greatly enhanced. We may be able to fly in a communal world where we can share cockpits, speak to real ATC and cross each other in the virtual skys. Kinda like Vatsim, but better and inbuilt.My imagination is starting to go wild so I will leave it there, but there is no doubt that in the not to distant future there is going to be some very intresting going ons in our community.

A success or not, i don't know, but i bet it will be released earlier than the PMDG 737NGX. :(

2 markets for Flightsims, the Gamer market (people who buy it and use it as a game) and the simmer market (who try to make things as real as they can ie addons)The trouble is the simmer market is years behind the gamer market. I mean its taken so long for people who like to fly with complex addons to start moving over to FSX be cause thats how long it takes for the developers to get moving Just%20Kidding.gif Even if MSFlight came out today it would be a year or many before it was any use as a platform for the heavy stuff. Just like FSX. Come back in 2015 and see what I mean. Andrew Simmons

Even if MSFlight came out today it would be a year or many before it was any use as a platform for the heavy stuff. Just like FSX. Come back in 2015 and see what I mean. Andrew Simmons
Oh I wouldn't worry too much. I'm pretty sure once Flight releases we'll see some addons coming soon.Disclaimer: That wasn't a jibe at PMDG, it's just how my sense of humor works sometimes.

Guest TBM930

From the Microsoft Flight Website: How does “Microsoft Flight” differ from “Flight Simulator?” Why the new name? What’s changed?A:With “Microsoft Flight” we’re approaching the virtual flight genre from the ground up, with the focus on the universal appeal of the experience of Flight. We believe the simplicity of “Microsoft Flight” perfectly captures that vision while welcoming the millions of existing Flight Simulator fans. The new “Microsoft Flight” retains the full fidelity simulation longtime fans have come to expect while offering all players a whole new look and feel, a wide range of new game play and challenges, persistent experiences and social connectivity.So I am hoping, that yes, it will cater to the hardcore Microsoft simmers. So far they have only released images of single engine planes and scenery but are probably going to reveal the details of their offering as they progress.