Sign in to follow this  
Guest acezboy561

Realstic Stopping?

Guest acezboy561

Will the NGX have realstic stopping peroids? I see far too many aircrafts where they stop in a matter of seconds.Im sure it will be - just want it to be confirmed :)

Ahhh funny you ask. Last night I wanted to test this thoroughly myself. So I tested autobrake 3 and was very pleased. I will be doing some more testing tonight with this. I have paid a bit of attention to it in previous landing and can tell you that it is realistic. But as you know PMDG strives for more than realism. More like perfection! So I can pretty much assure you that you will be pleased with the results. I can update you later when I test them more in depth. On the OTHER end of things, like take off distances, I was very happy to see that D-TO's, assumed temp take offs, or a combination of both was VERY realistic. I tested other products in this manner and found with them that between MAX power and full de-rate WITH an assumed temperature that there was only 800 feet difference! Not realistic. Standby for further!JackColwill

That’s got me thinking, when applying the brakes in FSX you can see the wheels lock up in external view. Is it possible to adjust the amount of pressure when applying the brakes? Or is it no brakes or full brakes?

That’s got me thinking, when applying the brakes in FSX you can see the wheels lock up in external view. Is it possible to adjust the amount of pressure when applying the brakes? Or is it no brakes or full brakes?
Sure. Much like when you use pedals for FS, just bind the brakes key to something that can be moved in increments, like a joystick throttle lever or pedals.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

With antiskid on, wheels should not lock up though...

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Gents-The autobrake in the NGX provides highly realistic braking action because it is targeting the book decel rates as defined by the manufacturer.If you use spoilers and/or reverse, the stopping distance will remain the same, but you will absorb less heat energy into the brakes because you are supplementing the decel rate with other devices.It's a pretty neat system- and this is by far the most advanced version of it we have accomplished.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Ahhh funny you ask. Last night I wanted to test this thoroughly myself. So I tested autobrake 3 and was very pleased. I will be doing some more testing tonight with this. I have paid a bit of attention to it in previous landing and can tell you that it is realistic. But as you know PMDG strives for more than realism. More like perfection! So I can pretty much assure you that you will be pleased with the results. I can update you later when I test them more in depth. On the OTHER end of things, like take off distances, I was very happy to see that D-TO's, assumed temp take offs, or a combination of both was VERY realistic. I tested other products in this manner and found with them that between MAX power and full de-rate WITH an assumed temperature that there was only 800 feet difference! Not realistic. Standby for further!
Thanks for the little update. How... unsurprising. I wouldn't have expected much less. And isn't that true that so many other addons are disappointing when it comes to accurately simulating derated and/or assumed temp takeoffs.One particular addon I have is just awful at this... it's dying to leap off the runway, like it's built out of cotton candy. Just for giggles I quickly ran it once before writing this. Quickly get through perf init and get my takeoff ready... flaps 15, trim 3.1, D-TO 2, assumed temp of 60C... V1 of 144. Start the takeoff roll, and at 93 knots the nosewheel came off the ground, and positive rate at barely 130 kts.

With antiskid on, wheels should not lock up though...
Yeah, but first of all doesn't FS simulate A/SKID (AFAIK), and moreover I believe this is just a visual thing. When you look at the wheels in spot view they seem to lock up. But I doubt it has anything to do with the simulation of braking behavior. I might be wrong though. :(sig.gif

If you use spoilers and/or reverse, the stopping distance will remain the same,
So basically you are saying that spoilers and reverse are useless ???I disagree, otherwise why using them in the reality ????Mark Fosseth

So basically you are saying that spoilers and reverse are useless ???I disagree, otherwise why using them in the reality ????Mark Fosseth
No using the spoilers and reverse is not useless. Firstly the spoilers will spoil any residual lift on landing, secondly their use will save brake wear for the same stopping distance and thirdly if you touch the brakes on the rudder pedals and revert to manual braking they will also help with retardation. Finally spoilers and reverse will of course be less effective as you slow down, mainly due to the reduction in drag.RegardsNixon Thomas

No they aren't. I think the autobrake will reduce the power applyed to the brake when you use the spoilers and the reversers.So the forces on the brakes aren't that strong when you use the spoilers and the reversers.With that the distance needed for stopping the aircraft will remain same, but the brakes will hold for a longer time.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

no, when using the autobrake function the braking is modulated to stop you in X distance (where X is a constant defined from lots of parameters, such as speed, aircraft weight, elevation, weather, runway surface etc) REGARDLESS of whether you are using spoilers or reversers. So you will always see the same stopping distance in the same conditions with reversers or not. The system will reduce or apply brake pressure as necessary dependent on drag being provided by other devices, to even out the stopping distance. As RSR pointed out, with spoilers and reverse the brakes don't have to work so hard to stop in that distance X so they ease off as required to save wear and tear and overheating.If you are not using autobrakes and plan on using manual braking it is a different story and you are going to have to work out how much brake pressure you want to apply.This modulated braking with the autobrakes is PRECISELY how the real 737 works. It is also the first time I have seen this achieved properly in a sim. How many other sims have this level of complexity in braking to take into account spoilers/reversers? Every other sim I have seen just applies a fixed brake pressure for each notch of autobrake. Not realistic at all!all the bestJR

- Jane Whittaker

Hi,A little question for beta testers :Do the wheels chocks actually prevent the NGX from rolling/taxiing ?Just curious. rolleyes.gif

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

no, when using the autobrake function the braking is modulated to stop you in X distance
Autobrake will modulate to obtain a certain deceleration (from 4 ft/sec up to 14 ft/sec, i suppose it's sec^2 but the manual says otherwise :) ), it doesn't know of distances. Given a target deceleration using reverse and spoilers reduces the required brake pressure. Luca

Autobrake will modulate to obtain a certain deceleration (from 4 ft/sec up to 14 ft/sec, i suppose it's sec^2 but the manual says otherwise :) ), it doesn't know of distances. Given a target deceleration using reverse and spoilers reduces the required brake pressure. Luca
absolutely right, but I was simpiflying as the net result is going to be stopping in an equal distance.

- Jane Whittaker