Sign in to follow this  
Aeroguidance

Clayton T. Dopke Major (USAF) RET

Greetings,Was perusing the "Walk-around" video and couldn't help but notice that there's a little engraving of sorts right below the Captain's window that states "IN MEMORY CLAYTON T. DOPKE MAJOR USAF RETIRED." After some brief searching I found him, apparently a very dedicated beta tester who passed away recently. Also a former B-52 Aircraft Commander. By chance was the NGX dedicated to his memory?-Matt Barton

Greetings,Was perusing the "Walk-around" video and couldn't help but notice that there's a little engraving of sorts right below the Captain's window that states "IN MEMORY CLAYTON T. DOPKE MAJOR USAF RETIRED." After some brief searching I found him, apparently a very dedicated beta tester who passed away recently. Also a former B-52 Aircraft Commander. By chance was the NGX dedicated to his memory?-Matt Barton
A sad situation indeed.-Glad to see he got to help out with the NGX.

Clay was a tester on the MD-11 and was excitedly awaiting the NGX testing when he died - yes the airplane is dedicated to him.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Major Clay was an inspiration and pleasure to all of us that corresponded with him. I occasionally traveled through Meridian and hoped someday to meet him, but unfortunately his illness negated that possibility. If ever there was an aviation gentleman worthy of a biography, I was led to believe it would have been Major Clay. Hopefully some author will some day buy into that possibility. If so, I sure hope it is available before I join him in his heavenly flight. I sure would like to read it.Respectfully:RTH

Gents-While we rarely get to meet our beta testers face-to-face, many of us have become very close friends over the years.We spend a tremendous amount of time chatting with the team members, exchanging information, occasionally disagreeing, but the net result is that we get to learn a little bit about each person's life and experiences- and we get to congratulate one another on weddings, children, promotions and the like.Clay's passing was disappointing to all of us- as he had been an avid tester on the MD-11 program and I think he would have been in love with the NGX. Clay had a unique background and a sense of humor that allowed him to fit right into the group. He could give as well as he got.At one point last year Clay was answering email from a hospital bed, and when I expressed my concern for him he replied: "I still have my boots on, they aren't dragging me outta this that easily."Unfortunately that was the last time we spoke.I believe it was Pete Sterling's idea to put the tribute to Clay on the NGX house livery- and all felt it was a good idea.I think it helps keep in perspective that we are all here because we enjoy airplanes and the hobby- and we should take the time to look after one another.We have a great and vibrant beta team on the NGX- but i can't help but wonder what Clay would have thought...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I think we should have a day of Silence for Mr. Clayton, a day of no posts.
absolutely the opposite actually. I suggest a day of lots of excited posts and swapping of stories on the day of release of the NGX. That was more Clay's style!He was an incredibly enthusiastic member of our beta team and always had a story to share over the years I got to know him, from piloting the B-52 to flying special flights to rescue horses after Hurricane Katrina. He was thrilled with the public reception of the MD-11 and he would love all the buzz around the NGX.JR

- Jane Whittaker

Gents-While we rarely get to meet our beta testers face-to-face, many of us have become very close friends over the years.We spend a tremendous amount of time chatting with the team members, exchanging information, occasionally disagreeing, but the net result is that we get to learn a little bit about each person's life and experiences- and we get to congratulate one another on weddings, children, promotions and the like.
I have been involved in many beta's - not just in the flight sim world. Quite often people test, make their comments and off they go. The PMDG beta team and development team have become like a family over the years and I honestly believe that shows through in the products as everyone knows their role and can have candid exchanges of views and ask questions without fear of causing offence. Many of us have been involved in the first 737 from PMDG, back in the days before I had grey hair! It is a very close knit relationship between us all. We all keep in touch all the time, regardless of whether a product is in beta or not. It sounds corny, but it really is a special group of people.In my wider experience as a simmer and my role at PC Pilot Magazine, I also see that camaraderie across the whole flight sim community, developers, publishers and simmers. It is a fantastic community and one that I am really proud to be a part of.JR

- Jane Whittaker

I believe it was Pete Sterling's idea to put the tribute to Clay on the NGX house livery- and all felt it was a good idea.
As a fellow beta tester for other companies I`d feel both proud and honoured to see his name on an aircraft such as this. I`d love to use it as my test plane at EGNJ Humberside-East coast UK, where I usually test most virtual aircraft. As I have family in the area and I live 100 miles away on the West coast this area is very special to me. Even more special knowing every time I take the aircraft up to test he is there in name too, still testing.

I didn't know Major Dopke, but since the NGX is dedicated to him, do you think it would be a great gesture to dedicate the first NGX online group flight to him also if that's possible?

While we rarely get to meet our beta testers face-to-face, many of us have become very close friends over the years.
Amen. I remember Clayton A.K.A. B52Driver well during the previous beta and on this forum too. The name on the NGX is a nice tribute to a good and great man. God bless his soul and may his journey never end. Peace out,