Sign in to follow this  
FlyH300

when

Hi Rónán, Sounds like one hell of a cockpit authority gradient set up there. It would appear that one of the most essential safety checks on those flights - open communication with the first officer - was probably compromised as a result. Thanks for sharing the story.

If I was young , and I am not anymore since a while, I would fly immediately with Aerlingus and when he speaks about the 2nd taxi checklist in that way, he is teaching the guy to fly like a pilot, not like a nerd. That F/O is only a lucky man to have a bad &@($* like Aerlingus on his side. Thanks again for you stories, I really hope there will be more to come.

Well Rónán, seems like you just had to take out your bad mood on some other poor fella. I hate it, when people do this, especially when the other part is in a situation like the F/O, where they are unsure and nervous. And there sure is no reason to be proud of acting like that.

I am actually going to kinda defend Ronan here.While the story is a very clear example of poor CRM, Ronan did say that he feels he was partly at fault to the going ons that day. It appears that he was under heavy stress during that time, and I'm sure we have all experienced those moments where were living on a short string, and in those situations it won't take long for us to experience frustration and even possibly loose our tempers. The factors that Ronan had to deal with during this period,Return to full-on short haul after a long absence;and the upcoming Simcheck and medical, would all have put anyone on edge, add to that a first officer who obviously needed some support from his more senior colleague may have pushed Ronan over the edge.However, when encountering these situations, it is probably of benefit to try your absolute hardest to stay positive and not send out any negative vibes, And this includes non verbal communication such as body language as that is a crucial aspect that can influence the atmosphere of communication between two people, so it would be best to suppress the rolling of eyes and sighs that can be nearly sub-consciously controlled.If I was this situation or similar, I would make it a priority to apologize to the FO and explain the situation.Sorry about the rant :D

lol just right click your mouse and use the reload option ! LOL.gif
My right mouse button broke.Can I borrow someone else's?

BTW real pilots, do you also , in the reality, experience low frame rates trough the windows when at Charles De Gaulle ?

Well Ronan All I can say after reading your story is that I'm very gald I will never have to fly with you. Part of a senior captains role is also to mentor those with less experience, how else do you expect them to learn and become experienced like yourself. So what if he was nervous, sounds to me like your attitude that morning did nothing to help that. You asked him to "Do the checklist", but you don't state which checklist. It's the same thing as saying "Pick that up", pick what up?Yes from reading the story and not having all the distractions of a busy flightdeck it's pretty clear which checklist you mean, but I'm sure at the time in the environment you created that morning it wasn't clear at all. In fact it sounds like you wanted the poor guy to do something wrong so you could have a go at him. In any job effective communication leads to a better result. I'm sorry but just because you were having an off morning it's no reason to let everyone else know it and they must know what you are thinking and act appropriately so as not to upset your delicate ego. I would say that any tension over the course of the week was more your fault than the poor kid you got "stuck" with, could you be any more arrogant? Did you go through your flying career never making a mistake?Don't forget that this kid could well turn out to be a better pilot than you, give him a break next time you see him, coach him so that he can improve, and hopefully he will be able to enjoy his time in the cockpit.Would you rather fly with him again in silence, or be able to have a chat and relax a little? Niall
Good post Niall. I was thinking the very same thing. I'm an old hand in my line of work, yet I try to make a special effort to put new hands at ease straight away. It's important never to forget what it's like when you're new, nervous and trying to do the right thing... Ian

Well Ronan All I can say after reading your story is that I'm very gald I will never have to fly with you. Part of a senior captains role is also to mentor those with less experience, how else do you expect them to learn and become experienced like yourself. So what if he was nervous, sounds to me like your attitude that morning did nothing to help that. You asked him to "Do the checklist", but you don't state which checklist. It's the same thing as saying "Pick that up", pick what up?Yes from reading the story and not having all the distractions of a busy flightdeck it's pretty clear which checklist you mean, but I'm sure at the time in the environment you created that morning it wasn't clear at all. In fact it sounds like you wanted the poor guy to do something wrong so you could have a go at him. In any job effective communication leads to a better result. I'm sorry but just because you were having an off morning it's no reason to let everyone else know it and they must know what you are thinking and act appropriately so as not to upset your delicate ego. I would say that any tension over the course of the week was more your fault than the poor kid you got "stuck" with, could you be any more arrogant? Did you go through your flying career never making a mistake?Don't forget that this kid could well turn out to be a better pilot than you, give him a break next time you see him, coach him so that he can improve, and hopefully he will be able to enjoy his time in the cockpit.Would you rather fly with him again in silence, or be able to have a chat and relax a little? Niall
My thoughts exactly As someone who works in the industry, there are far to many pilots with that complex and is exactly why most pilots "subordinates" or other and just as important parts of the process that makes a airline run on a day to day basis (Ops, Ramp, Gate) tend to not about talk pilots with a kind regard, we get spoken down to almost daily when really its the crew whos the mis-informed, and is the problem. I understand the point of your post Rohan, that the true realities of the flight deck are not what most people imagine if they have never spent enough time in one. However Its a reality that most here wont get much thrill out of hearing.

I'll bet £5 that we dont see the NGX today.
I see your bet and raise you 50 :) Im not holding my breath on tommrow either

What time zone of the PMDG locate? Phoenix (Arizona) - UTC / GMT -7 hours?Thanks.