Sign in to follow this  
el_capitan

How can i tune ADF2

Sorry I just a quick question. Can you use ADF1 during ILS approaches? Obviously I have to use NAV1 to tune the ILS frequency, but once I have LOC/GS capture can I switch to ADF1 if there is ndb on the glideslope?Thanks!KrisYYZ
Sure you can. the ADF1 frequency is tuned on a different radio than the NAV1.

Sure you can. the ADF1 frequency is tuned on a different radio than the NAV1.
Thanks!KrisYYZ

Kristof Barocz
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi Folks,having 2 operative ADFs is still a requirement for aircraft doing IFR approach procedures in many parts of the world (the former USSR, Africa, even Europe!). The fact that NDBs and the associated approaches largely disappeared from the US does not mean they have disappeared elsewhere. It would be really great if PMDG considered enabling ADF2.BTW, a 2nd ADF might have saved the lives of the crew and pax of the CT-43 (military 737-200) back in 1996. The fact that the crew was not able to monitor a 2nd NDB on final approach disgraded the crew's situational awareness and subsequently was one of the major factors why they ended up on a hill 9 degrees to the left of the Final Approach Course. That plane was just not equipped properly for that particular airspace although the military was eventually throwing smoke and tried to put the blame on the local national authorities (and on Jeppesen!!). By checking their RMI with 2 NDBs switched onto it, it would have been apparent to the crew they were off course

Hi Folks,

having 2 operative ADFs is still a requirement for aircraft doing IFR approach procedures in many parts of the world (the former USSR, Africa, even Europe!). The fact that NDBs and the associated approaches largely disappeared from the US does not mean they have disappeared elsewhere. It would be really great if PMDG considered enabling ADF2.

BTW, a 2nd ADF might have saved the lives of the crew and pax of the CT-43 (military 737-200) back in 1996. The fact that the crew was not able to monitor a 2nd NDB on final approach disgraded the crew's situational awareness and subsequently was one of the major factors why they ended up on a hill 9 degrees to the left of the Final Approach Course. That plane was just not equipped properly for that particular airspace although the military was eventually throwing smoke and tried to put the blame on the local national authorities (and on Jeppesen!!). By checking their RMI with 2 NDBs switched onto it, it would have been apparent to the crew they were off course

Agree 100% Please make the second ADF an option.

I use ADFs regularly. VOR and ILS become "matter of fact" after a while and it's fun to shoot a few NDB arcs, etc. It improves your virtual flying skill. Thank you, Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

Epic forum dredge...

The lack of a second ADF doesn't mean you can't use ADFs, it means you can't tune multiple ADFs. If Boeing didn't include it on the real plane, why give it the option here? Further, how often do you really need to point at more than one NDB?

Kyle Rodgers

Epic forum dredge...

The lack of a second ADF doesn't mean you can't use ADFs, it means you can't tune multiple ADFs. If Boeing didn't include it on the real plane, why give it the option here? Further, how often do you really need to point at more than one NDB?

Yes good point S13. I think it's because many of us are using real ADF modules and we have two modules :) Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

I think it's because many of us are using real ADF modules and we have two modules :) Iain

Fair enough. I know the default FS aircraft have more than one sometimes, as do real planes. Most of the ones I fly don't have them anymore in favor of GPS, but I know the one I fly most has one.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Folks,having 2 operative ADFs is still a requirement for aircraft doing IFR approach procedures in many parts of the world (the former USSR, Africa, even Europe!). The fact that NDBs and the associated approaches largely disappeared from the US does not mean they have disappeared elsewhere. It would be really great if PMDG considered enabling ADF2.BTW, a 2nd ADF might have saved the lives of the crew and pax of the CT-43 (military 737-200) back in 1996. The fact that the crew was not able to monitor a 2nd NDB on final approach disgraded the crew's situational awareness and subsequently was one of the major factors why they ended up on a hill 9 degrees to the left of the Final Approach Course. That plane was just not equipped properly for that particular airspace although the military was eventually throwing smoke and tried to put the blame on the local national authorities (and on Jeppesen!!). By checking their RMI with 2 NDBs switched onto it, it would have been apparent to the crew they were off course

QUOTE!!!!!! pls do it !!

Epic forum dredge...

If you tune the NDBs at each end of a runway you get a better indication of your alignment when the two needles overlay exactly on the RMI. If you're slightly off it won't be obvious with just one NDB tuned. You also have some redundancy.

ki9cAAb.jpg

While 2 ADFs could be fun... I don't see the need to include them. Just have a look at some websites where you can look at cockpit pictures (not naming any sites here). For every NG you can find with a second ADF installed, you'll find 6-7 without.

Of course, carriers flying to less supported airports, will much sooner install a second ADF, so it all depends on where (and which carrier) you're flying.

If you tune the NDBs at each end of a runway you get a better indication of your alignment when the two needles overlay exactly on the RMI. If you're slightly off it won't be obvious with just one NDB tuned. You also have some redundancy.

I like the quoted post of mine that says "epic forum dredge," from nearly a year ago, which means this thread has been dragged up from the dead more than once...

I got a good laugh because you'd be lucky to find two NDBs within a hundred miles of each other here in the States.  The idea that you'd see NDBs a runway's distance apart is a completely foreign one (again, here in the States - I know some of the world still makes extensive use of them).

For a simulation like this NG that is RNAV RNP capable, one ADF is really all that's needed.  For every NDB approach, there's generally an overly GPS approach that could be flown even if the poor old ADF dies.

Kyle Rodgers

I like the quoted post of mine that says "epic forum dredge," from nearly a year ago, which means this thread has been dragged up from the dead more than once...

I got a good laugh because you'd be lucky to find two NDBs within a hundred miles of each other here in the States.  The idea that you'd see NDBs a runway's distance apart is a completely foreign one (again, here in the States - I know some of the world still makes extensive use of them).

For a simulation like this NG that is RNAV RNP capable, one ADF is really all that's needed.  For every NDB approach, there's generally an overly GPS approach that could be flown even if the poor old ADF dies.

Well, if you'd said there was no need to tune two NDBs in the United States then I wouldn't have needed to drag this thread out any longer.  If, in some remote corner, there are NDBs at both ends of the runway then it would be useful to be able to use both at the same time.  But you're right that an aircraft like the NG has no need to use two NDBs like this.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The 737 can do just fine with LNAV/VNAV. . . most of the time. If you fly to a country that isn't WGS84 compliant, you can find that you might not be where you thought you were.

When I was flying in Asia, you'd find yourself "off" the centerline in LNAV, but we'd use the LOC to make sure we were at least lined up. On the ramp, you'd find yourself a mile or two away from the airport. Not exactly comforting.

Garbage in, garbage out, garbage pile on the side of a hill.

NDBs tend to stay put in relation to the runways they serve.

Matt Cee