Sign in to follow this  
Wolfko

Orbx Nature Flow - simply amazing!

I'm surprised this hasn't been done long ago already. Surprising there are any bugs left in the world today. They don't call them bug smashers for nothing...
Lago did it with Punta Cana way back when, swaying palm trees! We can get away with stuff like this (with FPS) at a G/A airport but never at something you would take a big iron plane into with AI and so on.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Heck, no one will be flying, just taxiing around the airport watching the people, dogs, birds and leaves falling.

Thanks for the feedback guys, although I don't understand the need for sarcasm (would you prefer developers stop innovating scenery?). Forums can be such anarchic, rude and hostile places these days; people need to return to some core values and show more restraint.Yes there's a performance hit, but you can disable all or some of the animations. I am testing on an i7-920@4.2 with a GTX580 and I get between 20-35 FPS depending on direction (lower FPS when facing Seattle).But I do like the bird poop idea... Hmmmm......

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

You think ORBX hits your system hard now... wait till you have thousands of blades of grass blowing in the wind and a ton of leaves falling from the trees! Dont get me wrong, I think what they have done is very nice but I just dont see the point really. I guess if you like to simply look around and not fly it is great. Whats next, virtual bird poop falling from the sky? LOL. Jim
You know Jim, I was thinking exactly the same thing when I saw that video. Does it look cool? Yes of course! Is it really of benefit for a flight sim? Personally I dont think so since its a flight sim and not a walking around or driving around sim. Of course we all use the sim for different purposes, but even when I fly low and slow in real life or in the sim, things like swaying trees or blades of grass moving are things I dont even really notice. I can't even remember the last time I was flying a 152/172 in real life and noticed what trees around the airport perimeter were doing, much less weeds or grass blades. For me that's a feature I will probably use one time just to see it for myself then turn if off, regain my FPS loss and get back in the air.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Heck, no one will be flying, just taxiing around the airport watching the people, dogs, birds and leaves falling.
Works for me LOL.gif

Actually this is simply amazing. Additionally, at least on my system I think it would be way easier on the frames then in the middle of Seattle. I can have full autogen in areas outside of the city so I don't think 5-7 frames would make that much of impact. I would just scale back the autogen slider a bit. Keep pushing the boundaries and delivering amazing scenery. I own a lot of ORBX scenery and I love them immensely. Thanks.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

You know Jim, I was thinking exactly the same thing when I saw that video. Does it look cool? Yes of course! Is it really of benefit for a flight sim? Personally I dont think so since its a flight sim and not a walking around or driving around sim. Of course we all use the sim for different purposes, but even when I fly low and slow in real life or in the sim, things like swaying trees or blades of grass moving are things I dont even really notice. I can't even remember the last time I was flying a 152/172 in real life and noticed what trees around the airport perimeter were doing, much less weeds or grass blades. For me that's a feature I will probably use one time just to see it for myself then turn if off, regain my FPS loss and get back in the air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd3-1tcOthg&feature=related

?? ApeFlow
Yup, an escaped ape from the Seattle zoo comes charging out of the forrest. It really adds to the immersion factor.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Realistically, if you fly 737's around big airports then this is not for you (...like me). But a lot of OrbX's customers use the great little mountain airfstrips they design and for that kind of simming every little bit of immersement adds to the experience.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Thanks for the feedback guys, although I don't understand the need for sarcasm (would you prefer developers stop innovating scenery?). Forums can be such anarchic, rude and hostile places these days; people need to return to some core values and show more restraint.
Now John....when the ticker tape and fan fare fades, the law of the land prevails. Welcome to the club. Jim

Thanks Jim, makes me feel a whole lot better.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Yup, an escaped ape from the Seattle zoo comes charging out of the forrest. It really adds to the immersion factor.
which is why some spend more time watching grass, trees and people, instead of the altimeter my point was that it was refreshing to finally see people evolve in flight simming and ignoring the useless overpriced nonsense

I know a lot of you guys got into flight simming because you want to fantasize about flying big airliners. However you have to understand that a lot of airline pilots who came from the general aviation community will have fond memories of flying Cessnas and Pipers to small airfields. Going inside the FBO's to use the bathrooms and stock up on potato chips and coke and just chat with the locals before flying back to the home airport was always fun for me. Going to a small out of the way airport that's not too busy so they can let their student's solo for the first time or just practice touch and go's is a very familiar scenario for pilots who racked up time as a CFI.Small, general aviation airports have a special place for a lot of pilots weather they moved on to airliners, or corporate, or just a member of a flying club. I love ORBX scenery, and I for one hope that this thing works out.