Sign in to follow this  
IFR7700

Who's the clown who defaulted the radio mins to 9000+ ?

IFR7700, the same words often have subtley different meanings in other countries. In Australia to call someone a clown is to tell them they are a fool, and a clumsy fool at that. I am sure you didn't mean it. I flew the tutorial and had no problem setting the minima, radio or baro. it doesn't make me better, maybe just different.or just lucky. I certainly don't describe the manual as pages of 'blah, blah', I use it like an encyclopedia and go back in to look for the items I am having trouble with. I skimmed it from start to finish, but I am not into reading and learning a document of that size, but it is a great resource to dive into as I need it. And in starting the engines make sure you have the packs off (far right side of the overhead about two-thirds up), otherwise the starter doesn't seem to grind fast enough. If it was in the tute or the manual I didn't see it, I just worked switch by switch across the overhead, and wondered why they were on, then after turning them off the engines started, then I turned them back on. And if anyone tells me that's wrong, my answer is that it works.

I would say it did - as I just loaded the NG up with the HOTFIX, and the RADIO set at 100 ;) ;) ;) (although I think FCOM states it should be 50 at default, but 100 is FINE for me ;) Mas

It happens to me sometimes but I have a logitech mouse that has a [extremely] quick scroll function with a press of a button, I use the fast scroll and I can go from 9000~ to 200 in a couple seconds so it doesn't bother me.

No "clown" decided to set it to 9000 feet - there's some kind of issue going on here. Standby...
I did laugh a bit when I saw the clown comment.I could totally see this as a new guy hazing thing. You know, on a turn, the previous crew knowing the rookie will be in here afterwards jacks the radio mins up to 9000 just as a "hey, welcome to the big planes, kid." To be honest, when I ran across this for the first time, I thought to myself it was done intentionally in the same light, but would persist on 200 (or last setting) thereafter, based on the aircraft's file. For the record, I have this problem too.I believe, both DAL and AAL liveries, in the -800, but I don't think it'd be aircraft specific here in the sim. I just figured if it does matter, it's worth knowing.

Kyle Rodgers

I made my own panel states which solved the problem for me. It takes forever to scroll around by clicking but you can fly through them with the wheel on your mouse...

I tried to set it in cruise and it read over 47000ft! **** that, I'll use Baro. Dan.
I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment...

IFR7700, the same words often have subtley different meanings in other countries. In Australia to call someone a clown is to tell them they are a fool, and a clumsy fool at that. I am sure you didn't mean it. I flew the tutorial and had no problem setting the minima, radio or baro. it doesn't make me better, maybe just different.or just lucky. I certainly don't describe the manual as pages of 'blah, blah', I use it like an encyclopedia and go back in to look for the items I am having trouble with. I skimmed it from start to finish, but I am not into reading and learning a document of that size, but it is a great resource to dive into as I need it. And in starting the engines make sure you have the packs off (far right side of the overhead about two-thirds up), otherwise the starter doesn't seem to grind fast enough. If it was in the tute or the manual I didn't see it, I just worked switch by switch across the overhead, and wondered why they were on, then after turning them off the engines started, then I turned them back on. And if anyone tells me that's wrong, my answer is that it works.
Macca22au Thanks for the international grammatical heads up. In the US, clown is sometimes used to infer a joker or a kidder. Very light-hearted. But I guess clown could also have some negative connotations. There is a mental defect that some people, who are afraid of clowns, called Coulrophobia, suffer from. (Oops, I ended a sentence with a preposition.) I will try to be more careful in the use of my descriptive wording. I know that sometimes a poster has a smile on their face while posting, and the reader has a frown on their face when reading. In the latter case, perhaps a clown could cheer them up. I will always be smiling when posting. Next: blah, blah, blah was meant to describe the inordinate mass of information that no one could possible retain without their minds going numb. Your description of an encyclopedia was very accurate. Again, I apologize if I demeaned, in any way, the actual information that was in the manuals. Sincerest apologies to Boeing for disrespecting the incredible amount of work that must have gone into making these manuals. And I apologize to all the forum visitors who were offended by my use of "clown" or "blah, blah, blah". I will be much more careful in the future. Anyway, nice to meet you and hope to hear more from you in the future.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

I did laugh a bit when I saw the clown comment.I could totally see this as a new guy hazing thing. You know, on a turn, the previous crew knowing the rookie will be in here afterwards jacks the radio mins up to 9000 just as a "hey, welcome to the big planes, kid." To be honest, when I ran across this for the first time, I thought to myself it was done intentionally in the same light, but would persist on 200 (or last setting) thereafter, based on the aircraft's file.
Exactly, thank you

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

IFR 7700: thank you, you made me smile. Who was it said that the British and the Americans are seperated by a common language? And Australia is another degree of seperation again. As for finishing a sentence with a preposition, when accused of this grammatical crime, Winston Churchill replied "up with this I will not put." Oh, and I am not a mindless PMDG loyalist, like the many that can be found in these threads. The manuals are on licence from Boeing I understand, and cost a fortune to buy the paper version. Not for me on my budget. The add-on is buggy, but then so is every new product and it is only when we ordinary users start to work our way round a new complex aeroplane that all the flaws are revealed. We are the beta testers who don't follow the rules! Roll on the SP1, it can't come soon enough."separate", oh dear, dear.

I spent a year in the US in 1970 at UCLA accompanied by my family. I took my 8 year old daughter into a shop to get some school supplies and I ingenuously asked for "a rubber for my daughter". The shop assistant looked horrified until my daughter explained "he means an eraser".