Sign in to follow this  
pawel-d

Using VC in general: any tips, techniques...

I'm one of those 2D user, that found out that there is no 4:3 2 panel.But I would like to think in positive way and as someone suggested try to switch to VC only. So I have some questions about it, ask you how you perform some tasks, as I'm used to using 2d and for now I find using vc quite inconvenient.So, my questions:- how do you switch view to see overhead or radios? I can press "A" several times, but often I want to do it fast, so I would like to have a key assigned to switch directly to them. I can use Shift + number to access 2d, but it's for wide screen only and it's hardly readable on 4:3.- How do you use MCP in VC? It's not visible when looking forward. For example when I hand fly approach and I want to use AT to menage speed, and I want to change my speed on MCP... I still have to look forward and also see my main displays.Any ideas?- How can I make my default view to "look" down so I'm able to see main displays?- Any other suggestions? Maybe someone using vc only on a 4:3 screen would share his experience? I don't want to use any TrackIR device, or pay for additional software like EZdok. --------------------------------Pawel Dragan

Pawel Dragan

Poland, Gdansk

Press the space bar and move the mouse to look in the direction you want, and use the scroll wheel to to zoom in and out.

I am currently still using a 4:3 and have used VC only for a couple of years. I found it slow to get used to, but would never go back to 2D. I used to have the hat-switch on my yoke to move around and use the mouse aswell for zoom in/out. You'll find a way that suits you best by trying various suggestions. I have the TrackIR now which eliminates the need to pan around and mouse zoom.

Thanks, Matt  -|-  Win 10 Pro 64, 7820X @ 4.6Ghz, Corsair H115i, Asus Strix X299, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance, MSI RTX 2080ti, Samsung C49RG90, CH Pedals, Saitek Yoke, Aviator Joystick & 2x Throttles, TrackIR, VRinsight MCP Combo, XP11, P3D v3.4 & v4.5 Pro and way too many add-ons to mention! Simming since '95. Flying since '98.

I am currently still using a 4:3 and have used VC only for a couple of years. I found it slow to get used to, but would never go back to 2D. I used to have the hat-switch on my yoke to move around and use the mouse aswell for zoom in/out. You'll find a way that suits you best by trying various suggestions. I have the TrackIR now which eliminates the need to pan around and mouse zoom.
Hi Matau, I have been considering TrackIR for sometime now, but ma getting conflicting reports about framerates hit. With the advent of the PMDG 737, a loss of any frames is a big no no. What is your opinion?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

How do I press space, move mouse, use MCP and hand fly at the same time?Now I open MCP 2d panel, but it uses screen space. It would be no issue in 2d panel.

Pawel Dragan

Poland, Gdansk

I think it would be much better to start out with EZDok. First of all its much cheaper and second it allows quick and easy customization of views in the VC. You can set up several shortcuts on the keyboard or your yoke/joystick to easliy get to views you like, from there you can look around with your mouse or hat. You also get the advantage of some excellent effects (head movement, etc.). I happen to have both EZDok and TrackIR and this is the way I would go, you can always add TIR later it you wish. Mark.One more thing, I you want to get an idea of what you get with EZDok and also how to set it up properly then look at these videos. http://www.simforums.com/forums/my-ezdok-setup-videos_topic38637.html Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Hi Matau, I have been considering TrackIR for sometime now, but ma getting conflicting reports about framerates hit. With the advent of the PMDG 737, a loss of any frames is a big no no. What is your opinion?
At EGLL xtreme, with FSX maxed out, REX 2.0, traffic at 20% and frames locked externally @30fps I see no change when using TrackIR. FPS always stay around 30. Never noticed issues with any other add-ons when using it. Just waiting for my new widescreen to take full advantage of it! ;)
How do I press space, move mouse, use MCP and hand fly at the same time?Now I open MCP 2d panel, but it uses screen space. It would be no issue in 2d panel.
Do you not have a hat-switch on your yoke/joystick?

Thanks, Matt  -|-  Win 10 Pro 64, 7820X @ 4.6Ghz, Corsair H115i, Asus Strix X299, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance, MSI RTX 2080ti, Samsung C49RG90, CH Pedals, Saitek Yoke, Aviator Joystick & 2x Throttles, TrackIR, VRinsight MCP Combo, XP11, P3D v3.4 & v4.5 Pro and way too many add-ons to mention! Simming since '95. Flying since '98.

I don't want to use any TrackIR device, or pay for additional software like EZdok.
If no EZDok, then you don't know what you're missing, I'm sorry. EZDok + High-Quality-VC = 2D on steroids.

Press the space bar and move the mouse to look in the direction you want, and use the scroll wheel to to zoom in and out.
Those without EZDok - here is an expansion on Paul's suggestion. 1) First, in FSX we need to change the key which turns on and off mouse look. Change the default key from "SPACEBAR" to "ENTER" like in the screenshot below. 2) Then, install this free utility called "X-Mouse". This will allow you to send the middle mouse click to command an FSX action. http://www.highrez.c...ttonControl.htm 3) In X-Mouse create a profile for FSX and then assign the "middle mouse button" to trigger the "ENTER" key, like in the screenshot below. Thats it! Now you can turn on and off the mouse look in FSX without touching the keyboard - this way viewing the VC can be done with one hand, leaving the other hand to fly the plane. smile.png

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

You should not be taking your hands off the controls unless you are already in a stable flight configuration. Once you are stable and trimmed, then you can easily (assuming you are right handed) use you left hand to press the space bar while your right hand moves the mouse until your MCP is in view, and the middle finger of your right hand can dial the scroll wheel until you have your required zoom level. Your left hand releases the space bar while you manipulate the MCP control of interest to you. Your left hand then presses the space bar again while your right hand manipulates the mouse to reposition your point of view and zoom level to the primary instruments to check you are still stable before moving to the next item of interest. I realise that this all seems strangly scary and complicated at first but I can assure you that with just a little bit of practice, you will be able to master the skills involved. [This post should be read with the awareness that the author has his tounge slightly in his cheek]

A coolie hat (mini stick on the flight stick/yoke) is the bare minium that you need to use the VC properly. A coolie hat with EZdok Camera would be better. Almost perfect would be using TrackIR, and perfection is reached when you use TrackIR with EZdok Camera. I opted for the last combination. wink.png

Thanks for all replays.I stated I was trying to think in positive way, and I think I can be successful :) After first flights I'm getting to feel more and more comfortable in VC. I'm actually in good situation, because I have second monitor, so I can open 2d MCP adn cdu.The vc in this bird is really of such high quality, that it's a sin not to try to switch to it. Maybe I'd try Ezdok, as many users share such good opinions about it, but spending another 34$ is not what I intended to do :). Still three questions:- general about vc: can I change my default view (for ex. when I pres ctrl+space) to look down to show displays (without ezdok)?- can it be done in ezdok, or defining such view and accessing it with one key press?- about ezdok - do I have to run it separately, or it's automatically active after fsx start? PS. This bird is just fantastic. Incredible feeling when flying it. I'm not talking about system simulation, but just how realistic it feels... I'm delighted.

Pawel Dragan

Poland, Gdansk

Thats it! Now you can turn on and off the mouse look in FSX without touching the keyboard - this way viewing the VC can be done with one hand, leaving the other hand to fly the plane. smile.png
That is exactly what I need. Tnx!Lj. Prodanovic