Sign in to follow this  
ryelk

Could you fly a real 737NG?

Hypothetically, if you were to learn the PMDG 737 NGX backwards and forwards and had solid radio skills, could you get into a real-life 737NG and fly it from gate to gate successfully? What would be the biggest challenges posed by flying the real aircraft to a highly experienced 737 NGX flight simulator pilot in such a scenario?

Maybe it would be awkward to feel the aircraft, but if your able to feel your way through it, and all the sensations I guess.This is a very detailed aircraft, I think the best of the best of FSX pilots can ;)

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

I just hope that I'm not one of the passengers !! LMAO.gif

If you've never flown an aircraft of any type before, it would end badly.. most likely you would be overwhelmed with everything that was going on and lose it on takeoff.

No. It's impossible to get a 'jump seat' ride nowadays so, getting into the Captains seat would be utopia. lol

Dave Taylor gb.png

If you've never flown an aircraft of any type before, it would end badly.. most likely you would be overwhelmed with everything that was going on and lose it on takeoff.
While I agree, I don't necessary think it will end badly 100% of the time, the pressure will be immense, but I watched snakes on a plane so It can be done okay?

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

If you have a cool head, I believe you could operate the real thing based on extensive training on the NGX including all failure procedures and every training package AoA spits out.

What would be the biggest challenges posed by flying the real aircraft to a highly experienced 737 NGX flight simulator pilot in such a scenario?
The biggest challenge would be that it was real.It is one thing to do something in a sim, it is completely different (for otherwise a complete rookie) to do it in real world. Believe me, it is highly unlikely you would have succeeded. I hope your ever take up PPL license and see your reaction when instructor leaves you alone for a first solo (in a lousy 152) - even though you have done flying duo and everything was OK, perhaps then you would understand.

No, you need some time to learn the feel of the controls, and real world pilot training. Think of how nervous you were the first time you drove a car on a busy road, Now think of that times a million in a hell of a lot more complex piece of machinery. With that said I think those of us that learn this plane inside and out and know ATC well could do a ok job filling in for the NON flying pilot.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

The biggest challenge would be that it was real.It is one thing to do something in a sim, it is completely different (for otherwise a complete rookie) to do it in real world. Believe me, it is highly unlikely you would have succeeded. I hope your ever take up PPL license and see your reaction when instructor leaves you alone for a first solo - even though you have done flying duo and everything was OK, perhaps then you would understand.
All Ryanair's pilots are actually just keen flight simmers !They work much cheaper than real airline pilots. LMAO.gif

While I agree, I don't necessary think it will end badly 100% of the time, the pressure will be immense, but I watched snakes on a plane so I'm an expert okay?
laugh.png If one did indeed manage to get it in the air your only hope would be your ability to program the aircraft for an autoland somewhere, preferably the Bonneville Salt Flats..I fly a Remos GX in real life and I've thought of the scenario where the crew had the fish for lunch and became incapaciated."Is anyone here a pilot" comes the call from the stew.If no one else on the plane had no jet experience and it was up to me to get the bird on the ground, I like my chances but let's just say I would be concerned.Composure would be key.Hopefully I would be close to Utah..

Being in the left seat of a 737, is very different from sitting at your computer. Even if you know, in theory, all the information that comes with a 737 sim package like this, and have flown the sim for many, many hours, it will all seem very different when you are actually there. You many know enough to fly the sim well, but once you are sitting in that left seat, and the pressure is on, you will be surprised how much you cannot recall, and how "different" it really is. You MIGHT get lucky, and land it without killing yourself and everyone on board. You are highly likely to cause damage to the aircraft. You might get lucky and make it down the first time .. you may not .. the BIG Difference is that a Real World 737 Pilot will land that plane 99.9999% of the time without incident -- at best, you are probably looking at 50%, on a good day. Geoff

Being in the left seat of a 737, is very different from sitting at your computer. Even if you know, in theory, all the information that comes with a 737 sim package like this, and have flown the sim for many, many hours, it will all seem very different when you are actually there. You many know enough to fly the sim well, but once you are sitting in that left seat, and the pressure is on, you will be surprised how much you cannot recall, and how "different" it really is. You MIGHT get lucky, and land it without killing yourself and everyone on board. You are highly likely to cause damage to the aircraft. You might get lucky and make it down the first time .. you may not .. the BIG Difference is that a Real World 737 Pilot will land that plane 99.9999% of the time without incident -- at best, you are probably looking at 50%, on a good day. Geoff
92%!Especially Airbus Pilots.And Caribbean Airlines.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

92%!Especially Airbus Pilots.And Caribbean Airlines.
Even if you were one of those guys that had big balls ( I mean like jumping out a plane without a parachute big) you still would not be calm enough to land the plane on your own. IF you are calm enough to get autoland working then you might have a chance. I know many of us dream of the scenario where the pilots are disabled and you the flight sim expert rushes into the cockpit to save the day.. HELL NO I would never want to be in that position. When I am on a plane I want both RW experienced pilots up front and me in my seat in the cabin sipping on a drink and looking out the window

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB