Sign in to follow this  
ryelk

Could you fly a real 737NG?

While I agree, I don't necessary think it will end badly 100% of the time, the pressure will be immense, but I watched snakes on a plane so It can be done okay?
I feel you .. because I could do it as well, when ever I travel I stay in a Holiday Inn Express.

I feel you .. because I could do it as well, when ever I travel I stay in a Holiday Inn Express.
I totally agree with you, although Centipedes have extra legs with a venomous gland.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Atleast he started with a PPL..
He had more, he had IFR, some commercial license, he did not have ATP. So this is not an example of a sim-pilot who miraculously started flying 737 out of nowhere.

I have seen a friend of mine, Tom Wilson, and Robert Maciel, both simmers, land a real level D 737 sim years ago... almost perfectly, with never having flown any real aircraft at all.... so yes, if you could be calm, I'd say so.... in a sim, it's easy....

I doubt it would be possible due to the limitations of FSX vs Real Life. While PMDG allows for the maximum realism possible, I guarentee it is not the same thing. I certainly would not want to try my hand unless there was absolutly no other option. And I have been a PPL since 1996.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Meh. If I had enough fuel, nice weather and no failures on the aircraft, I think I'd be able to program it to autoland. If I was an easily stressed person, no way. And there's no way I'd even consider doing it manually, unless I was the only guy alive on the friggin thing. I have landed it sucessfully a couple of times in SAS' NG full-motion crew training sim, but no. Just no.

This subject surfaces about every 6 months or so, the short answer is, you could fly it all the way to the scene of the crash.

Jay

Being in the left seat of a 737, is very different from sitting at your computer. Even if you know, in theory, all the information that comes with a 737 sim package like this, and have flown the sim for many, many hours, it will all seem very different when you are actually there. You many know enough to fly the sim well, but once you are sitting in that left seat, and the pressure is on, you will be surprised how much you cannot recall, and how "different" it really is. You MIGHT get lucky, and land it without killing yourself and everyone on board. You are highly likely to cause damage to the aircraft. You might get lucky and make it down the first time .. you may not .. the BIG Difference is that a Real World 737 Pilot will land that plane 99.9999% of the time without incident -- at best, you are probably looking at 50%, on a good day. Geoff
I couldn't agree with you more. The first time I've ever sat in a left seat of a 737, I was like WOW! Completely different!One major difference from the NGX and a real 737 is the terrain display. When I'm in a real 737, the terrain display has a re-sweeping update. It looks almost like a radar, scans like a radar, but is not a radar. PMDG on Facebook says that it will include the re-sweep update on the 700 pack. Hopefully, they will also include it in the first expansion pack for the 800 base pack!

This subject surfaces about every 6 months or so, the short answer is, you could fly it all the way to the scene of the crash.
dude .. haven't you seen those movies where the ATC/tower talks a passenger on a airliner in .... if the guy could do it, so could we.

dude .. haven't you seen those movies where the ATC/tower talks a passenger on a airliner in .... if the guy could do it, so could we.
Active word "Movies "

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Flying a sim is totally different to real world! They can't even be compared. I can guarantee most people would gum up under pressure real world flying is about being 10 mins ahead of the aircraft and that's in a 172 even when you get to a pc12 or a Navajo you will find things get away from you very very quickly if you arnt on top of your workload. Totally different like saying could I win le mans if I've played gran turismo.... Ofcourse not! :) interesting thread though!-Dan Parker

interacting with the situation in the flightdeck and talking on the radio would be a challenge itself , i dont care how many hours u got on vatsim . oh and there is no pause button LOL.gif .Up there your going to face a different scenario with a crew and people behind you the situation in general would get you on a mental state that wont be easy to handle but if any flightsimer with no time up there at all ever gets it done ill would love to meet him/her shake their hand ........

Image removed as image is no longer available.