Sign in to follow this  
revporl

Making the best of native ATC

Hiya, I've had and used Radar Contact for a long time, and generally wouldn't use anything else, but a friend of mine is just starting to get into FS and is using the default MSFS ATC, as he finds the RC interface a bit unfriendly and for now likes the VFR facility and prog taxi on the default ATC. But there are the old problems I've not considered in a long time.... the almost inevitable requests to go around at busy airports (and huge go arounds that are subsequently vectored), the weird "turn left, turn right, turn left, turn right" vectors on approach, instructions to drop 20000 feet in one go and the nonsenseical progression on handovers (Manchester approach vectoring an App. to Liverpool, then handing us over to Liverpool tower at the very last second). I've installed AI Smooth, which makes a slight improvement in the go arounds (but they still happen) but what else can we do to make the default ATC work a bit better for us. (Meanwhile, I continue to pitch RC to him at every opportunity!) Hints and Tips welcome please...

I kept hoping that some talented developer would take an an-depth look at the native AI and all it's problems and come up with a comprehensive "fix" that would make it more realistic without some of the "down side" of the ATC add-ons (RC, PFE) that are on the market. But now that FS9 is starting to fade, I guess it's never going to happen. Just hope the new version of RC will be completed for FS9... As to your question, I will be interested to see what others can add but other than AI Smooth I don't think there's a whole lot you can do... For me, one of the few disappointments of FS9 was that MS just ported over the same old ATC programming that they had used in FS2002, without addressing any of the issues that users had complained about.CheersIan

I kept hoping that some talented developer would take an an-depth look at the native AI and all it's problems and come up with a comprehensive "fix" that would make it more realistic without some of the "down side" of the ATC add-ons (RC, PFE) that are on the market. But now that FS9 is starting to fade, I guess it's never going to happen. Just hope the new version of RC will be completed for FS9... As to your question, I will be interested to see what others can add but other than AI Smooth I don't think there's a whole lot you can do... For me, one of the few disappointments of FS9 was that MS just ported over the same old ATC programming that they had used in FS2002, without addressing any of the issues that users had complained about.CheersIan
I agree with Ian’s assessment. Nobody can alter the native ATC logic without access to the original code base. One thing though, it's possible to alter the audio part. EditVoicepack is a free utility that makes adding new call signs and airport names possible. It can also speed up the chatter (very useful at busy airports), so that you get a chance to transmit. But that’s about it. Geraldhttp://www.multicrewxp.com

Thanks for that, I'll give edit voicepack a go, if only to speed up chatter, that's one other annoying facet of default ATC I forgot to mention, that ruddy whistling noise when you're trying to reply to intructions while the ATC deals with someone else!

Hi. I think your best bet is to persuade your friend to spend some money & time on one of the payware ATC packages, probably RC since you have sufficient experience for providing support. Invite your friend over for a few evenings and go through the tutorial flights. It's surprising how much clearer certain aspects of RC become afterwards. Keep hoping for a release of V5 as progressive taxi instructions have been promised, but don't suggest to your friend that they wait for it! The only time I use the native ATC is when I'm flying IFR under RC to an uncontrolled airfield: I cancel the plan in the air and when advised to switch to local traffic frequency I re-raise the volume on the native ATC. The rest of the time, I am alongside the consensus that native is pants and, as suggested above, that won't change at this stage in the sim's development. Neither will '... you are 300 below your assigned altitude... ... you are 300 below your assigned altitude... ... you are 300 below your assigned altitude... et c. et c.', except possibly by Alt+O, M, 8, Alt+O, M, N. It's handy also for clearing runways if you're approaching another one and for clearing other taxiing aircraft if you're in a hurry to get to the runway. Regards,D

For me, one of the few disappointments of FS9 was that MS just ported over the same old ATC programming that they had used in FS2002, without addressing any of the issues that users had complained about.
I beg to differ - for FS2004, MS introduced many improvements to ATC including the ability to use ATC at untowered airfields and to file a flight plan in the air. Most importantly, they also ensured that whatever flight level you file for, you no longer get vectored through mountains but instructed to climb over them; this is so on approach too. It isn't perfect, but a great improvement on the FS2002 ATC and in the latter respect, at least, over the various ATC substitute programmes available too. John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

I don't use ANY ATC Fs9s or commercial.I perform the whole flight using FSNav, I use ASKy for my weather and checking on conditions at my destination at airport.I try to observe correct etiquette when arriving and departing of course ,but using this method of flying I can concentrate on enjoying my flight without the sometimes eccentric behaviour of FS9 atc .Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

I beg to differ - for FS2004, MS introduced many improvements to ATC including the ability to use ATC at untowered airfields and to file a flight plan in the air. Most importantly, they also ensured that whatever flight level you file for, you no longer get vectored through mountains but instructed to climb over them; this is so on approach too. It isn't perfect, but a great improvement on the FS2002 ATC and in the latter respect, at least, over the various ATC substitute programmes available too. John
I'm with John, there were improvements on FS ATC from FS2002 to FS2004 .... just not FS2004 to FSX. I am a fan of FSATC especially as now one can write one's own approaches (or update them) using ADE. I always file IFR flightplans as the vectoring is annoying. Like Ian I do wish someone had taken on the mammoth task of improving FS ATC but hey ho. I remember a while back when I started to get into flying in Russian airspace I download a file that turned all the FSATC into Russian. As I do not speak Russian not much good to me but was a pretty good effort and showed me what could be done with FSATC. As it is I would say Editvoicepak and ADE are essential. (both freeware but worthy of donation)

I'm with John, there were improvements on FS ATC from FS2002 to FS2004 .... just not FS2004 to FSX. I am a fan of FSATC especially as now one can write one's own approaches (or update them) using ADE. I always file IFR flightplans as the vectoring is annoying. Like Ian I do wish someone had taken on the mammoth task of improving FS ATC but hey ho. I remember a while back when I started to get into flying in Russian airspace I download a file that turned all the FSATC into Russian. As I do not speak Russian not much good to me but was a pretty good effort and showed me what could be done with FSATC. As it is I would say Editvoicepak and ADE are essential. (both freeware but worthy of donation)
What he said.... wink.png

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Editvoicepack also allows you to silence the "300ft above/below your assigned altitude" calls, with a little bit of work. Bryn

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Fair comment John. I had forgotten those "tweaks." (After all, it's been 8 years!!!) LOL.gif What I was trying to say was that there were a lot of very annoying features of the native ATC in FS2002 that had been widely discussed on the forums that did not get addressed. The BIG improvement was the change to prevent flying through mountains - a very unhealthy habit in the real world and a great nuisance in FS2002Thanks for the correction - I'm not into MS bashing as a sport and try to be fair in my comments.Cheers mateIan