Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wynthorpe

Massive drop in frames

Ok this happened last night and right now, im in the cruise locked solid at 30 frames and i prees my key to look at the overhead (EZDOK) and then press my key to come back to PIC seat and then my frames drop to 1FPS, this remains like this until i go into options and change any setting in the display settings, then my frames go back to locked at 30FPS. Addons REX2.0ASEEZDOKAES.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Id like to bring this up again - I still get random massive FPS drops down to 2fps or less, and ive done a complete format and reinstall, this only happens with the NGX, it seems to be when something changes in the FMC or a VOR is tuned.

I don't think the problem is in NGX as thousands of NGX owners DON'T have that problem. I myself have NO drops of fps so... maybe you have another program causing the drop. What the proglem is? Don't know but it's not NGX.

I was getting massive drops (short transitional ones) at times but then tracked it down to ASE. I turned the Standard to DWC and the drops vanished. The suggestion was that standard weather uses SimConnect differently and every time the new weather was injected it took a massive hit.

ASE is already running in DWC mode, I'm 100% positive its something the ngx is doing in the background.I've tried running the ngx with no addons and does the same, its always when you change something or flick a switch on the ngx.These drops last for a couple of mins at a time, then go back to locked at 30 where it should be.

Some of us have noticed that the display of VOR track lines can cause a reduction in FPS when a VOR is tuned. Try turning that option off in the FMC PMDG options and see if your performance returns. I do also notice a drop in FPS during certain types of weather while using ASE. Switching the weather to a generic theme like fair or clear can be used to test if it is your weather causing the drop.

I'll try the vor option JW thanks, but changing weather to clear doesn't make a difference, ill get a video to show.

There is at least one other thread, possibly more, where users have reported huge fps drops when tuning VOR's. I never had this problem myself, but others said it happened when the option was enabled to display VOR radials on the navigation display. Apparently, disabling this feature has helped some people, as did tuning the nav radios to blank frequencies. It might be worth trying one or both of these to see if VOR's are the cause. Also, what version are you using? I am running with hotfix 3 via the latest full installer, and enabling radials via the FMC options does not cause me any performance issues. Of course, I have no idea if any of the hotfixes dealt with this issue.Edit: The Joker beat me to it. Let us know how you get on.

An issue related to FMC position checking that could cause extremely low FPS in rare situations was fixed today - could be that.

I'm using the most up to date version via installer too, ill give these suggestions a try after work tomorrow, I seem to be able to recreate easily coming out of 23 at KBUF (flytampa).Ryan, that sounds promising, is that going to be a part of a hot fix I take it?

Found something interesting regarding this issue: I have a very clean FSX (No AI, no rex, hex, gex, weatherengines or whatever, just the 737NGX (have not found out what other add-ons to go for)). APU was running, engines started, and I was about to do a test flight. Forgot in a moment of distraction to turn engine GEN 1 and 2 on, before iturned off the APU. My FPS dropped solid and was 0.6 at its lowest!!!! Tried to connect and disconnect generators over and over, did not help. Had to restart FSX to make it work. Have no idea what caused it..

"I dont have that problem must be YOUR computer"
LOL.gif That one has made me slam my head into my yoke a few times too.

Found something interesting regarding this issue: I have a very clean FSX (No AI, no rex, hex, gex, weatherengines or whatever, just the 737NGX (have not found out what other add-ons to go for)). APU was running, engines started, and I was about to do a test flight. Forgot in a moment of distraction to turn engine GEN 1 and 2 on, before iturned off the APU. My FPS dropped solid and was 0.6 at its lowest!!!! Tried to connect and disconnect generators over and over, did not help. Had to restart FSX to make it work. Have no idea what caused it..
That's part of the same bug we fixed - it kills the GPSes for a second and causes the position weirdness.

Well i just flew KBUF to KTPA and exactly the same happens every time, as soon as off the ground frames drop to 1-2fps (from 30) and stay that way for around 2 mins and then suddenly come back up to 30fps. I cant figure it out.

This happen to me last night as well, how strange. Reproduced it today very easily. Hope the fix corrects it, even if it is caused by my own incompetence. I probably deserved the low frames as punishment. Whistle.gif

An issue related to FMC position checking that could cause extremely low FPS in rare situations was fixed today - could be that.
Yes! That's great news. I look forward to being able to fix it.

I'm happy to hear it's fixed, too.It is so hard to start another flight without resetting NGX..Can't sure exact timing but as I parked at gate and shutdown, 30fps drops to 5fps..It never goes normal unless reload aircraft. (loading another one, twice - as introduction said.)Hope there'll be hotfix or SP1 whichever comfortable to PMDG team. :)

That's part of the same bug we fixed - it kills the GPSes for a second and causes the position weirdness.
Hopefully, one would not get the same "position weirdness" effect in RL, if the GPS backup battery was defective, and needed replacing ?

I had the exact same thing, only i forgot to put the APU online before removing ground power. The moment i click on the first APU switch, everything died. I was getting maybe 1 frame every 5 seconds. Had to restart FSX.Also, i do get these freezes for no apparent reason in flight, but they normally last 1 or 2 seconds. This is my only major issue to date with the NGX, and, thankfully, it is quite rare.

I only experienced this only when I shutdown aircraft, but not non-powered situation that forget turning on APU or GEN switches.I used to forget that switches connected before pushback and saw GPS fail message on CDU, no fps drop at that moment and after plane has powered, too. Wired thing is, even I shutdown engines, I *always* connect three ground powers first before engine start levers to cutoff.Sometimes it's okay to start new flight without changing livery, but sometime it became sluggish 5 fps as I mentioned. Anyway, I wish it's the same reason because they said it's already fixed! laugh.png